Do you think all these signings point to the Bills trading back into the bottom of the first round?

njbuff

The Bills are signing FA's at a record pace for this franchise.

Who would be the target trading back into the bottom of the first round?

Plus these signings mean they really can't keep all 10 picks.

What do you think?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Bills Blog said:

Why would we trade back? Wouldn't these signings more likely suggest a trade up?

I should be more specific.

I meant that they keep 9 and trade up back into the first round.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The Bills are signing FA's at a record pace for this franchise.

Who would be the target trading back into the bottom of the first round?

Plus these signings mean they really can't keep all 10 picks.

What do you think?

I don't get it?  We can''t keep all 10 picks because of all these signings so we're trading back for more picks?

Disregard my post - I saw the clarification too late. 

I could see something like the Bills take BPA at 9 no matter what position it is, and then try to trade up to like 27-31 to grab another need position while only sacrificing a pick or two. If they move up any higher then that range its gonna start to cost a lot more.

• Like (+1) 2

It also allows them the flexibility to trade away this year's later round picks to stockpile draft capital for next year if the opportunity arises and they in a situation where they're not finding value where they're picking in this year's draft.

Edited by transient
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I should be more specific.

I meant that they keep 9 and trade up back into the first round.

Yes, I think it does.   (1) they will take BPA at 9, which is going to be a defensive player, hence the offensive binge during FA; (2) they will not need to draft 10 players for depth, some of the FA signings are great depth.  They will want to hit on 2-4 impact players, and they can get it from 9, later 1st round, and 2nd or 3rd. 

I can also see them flat out trading down if the defensive player they want is not there, then using the picks to have multiple late first/high 2nd round picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I could see something like the Bills take BPA at 9 no matter what position it is, and then try to trade up to like 27-31 to grab another need position while only sacrificing a pick or two. If they move up any higher then that range its gonna start to cost a lot more.

That's what I'm thinking.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think they move around the board a lot. 10 picks are not making this team. I would love a trade up to get Bosa, as long as I don't have to give up 2020 picks.

If we're doing that, do it for Quinnen Williams. The kid is a monster, and just getting started

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Yes, I think it does.   (1) they will take BPA at 9, which is going to be a defensive player, hence the offensive binge during FA; (2) they will not need to draft 10 players for depth, some of the FA signings are great depth.  They will want to hit on 2-4 impact players, and they can get it from 9, later 1st round, and 2nd or 3rd.  

So Oliver and Hockenson?  -hmm...  I've heard worse.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

...somebody posted a McBeane quote.....to paraphrase, "we assign a value to a player and that's it".....so if he values someone at 9 or higher, he moves up....if not he moves down to grab an extra 2nd.....perhaps has players graded as 1A, !B or 1C without glaring differences between the "1's".....so if 1A is gone, he takes 1B......same for group designated as 2A, 2B, 2C.......probably dead wrong, but this guy impresses me as highly organized, well planned, methodical and deliberate with a bunch of "what if scenarios" laid out....hell, wouldn't surprise me one bit if her's already sketching out 2020, potential UFA's, possible draft positioning, etc...........

31 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think they move around the board a lot. 10 picks are not making this team. I would love a trade up to get Bosa, as long as I don't have to give up 2020 picks.

2020 picks might be less valuable since we are playoff bound and having a game 18 this year !

Go Bills.
I would rather trade up and get two #1s. some one amazing is going to drop if not two players who could start and be impacts players in short order.

do not feel they should move up the boards the way FA has been going.
package some of the late round picks and move up for real players and high quality projects.

• Like (+1) 1