Bills host OG Quinton Spain from Titans***Update...SIGNED***

We've signed 6 FA lineman.  I love it. 

But how many active OL have this tegime carried on game day? I'm thinking teams only carry 7, typically.  

When you figure Dawkins will be active, there ain't much room for anyone else, including high draft picks

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Oh boy I forgot about that. I’m very happy to report that my expectations were greatly exceeded

As am I!  I had a feeling that they'd come away with 3.  It was a great year to do so with the volume that was in the market.

Looking ahead to next offseason, when the team will be in a similar position cap-wise, they could do the same thing at pass rusher and WR.

For pass rushers, guys that are slated to be UFAs include Lawrence, Clowney, Frank Clark, Dante Fowler, Mario Addison, Whitney Mercilus, Leonard Williams, Bud Dupree, Yannick Ngakoue, and others.

At WR, you've got Amari Cooper, Sterling Shepard, Tyler Boyd, Tyreek Hill, Robby Anderson, Michael Thomas, and AJ Green currently slated to hit the market.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, peterpan said:

We've signed 6 FA lineman.  I love it. 

But how many active OL have this tegime carried on game day? I'm thinking teams only carry 7, typically.  

When you figure Dawkins will be active, there ain't much room for anyone else, including high draft picks

8 or 9 make the 53 and 7 or 8 usually dress.  IF you can get down to 7 it usually means a Swing Tackle and a combination C/G.

If Long wins the starting RG job he could slide to C if needed for the remainder of the game and a pure G backup takes his spot.

This is one reason Bodine might not make the cut.

Its pretty cool that Beane is putting this much work into the OL in free agency, but I would be surprised if this pans out how most fans hope.  These guys are all fine individually, but its a huge question mark how they will play together.  Lineman, as well as most free agents in the league, have trouble adjusting to systems.  We are asking an entire group of guys to do just that.  I am about as nervous for this as I would be if our line from last year was returning. 

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Its pretty cool that Beane is putting this much work into the OL in free agency, but I would be surprised if this pans out how most fans hope.  These guys are all fine individually, but its a huge question mark how they will play together.  Lineman, as well as most free agents in the league, have trouble adjusting to systems.  We are asking an entire group of guys to do just that.  I am about as nervous for this as I would be if our line from last year was returning. 

Not me at all.  The talent is way up from last year.  It is likely that 4 of the 5 starters on the OL will have all off season to work together.

Morse, Dawkins, Spain and Nsekhe.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Not me at all.  The talent is way up from last year.  It is likely that 4 of the 5 starters on the OL will have all off season to work together.

Morse, Dawkins, Spain and Nsekhe.

Continuity matters, sometimes more than talent.  And one off-season doesn't get you the kind of continuity that matters, especially with the collective bargaining limitations.  And don't get me wrong, Beane had to do something, and this was probably the best option.  I'm just nervous. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea me too. Start of April makes sense. But they'd have to bump FA up too to the start of March. I think about a month between the two is about right.

It will never get any sooner simply because of the existence of NFL Network.

If it were just about keeping the NFL "in the news" in the offseason I think the football benefits of getting players settled into their new teams/homes would allow for an early April draft.

But draft programming literally provides must-see programming for fans of NFLN for better than 1/3 of the year........3 months of lead-up plus a couple weeks of post-draft-evaluations..........that's worth a fortune to the league.

Love this signing! 

He was a force on the field when the Titans were running Moreno of a power run game (or “exotic smash mouth” to use MM’s words) under Mularkey. 

I think we could see a big season from Spain in Brian Daboll’s offense. 

11 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Continuity matters, sometimes more than talent.  And one off-season doesn't get you the kind of continuity that matters, especially with the collective bargaining limitations.  And don't get me wrong, Beane had to do something, and this was probably the best option.  I'm just nervous. 

I hear what you are saying but really think about it.  You are not going to keep Gore/Bodine Vlad and Miller (all who are not very talented)

because of continuity.  Get talent and find out who plays together well.  The OL will be much improved but like I said not complete.

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

He signed a two year deal.  To play longer than that, Beane will need to decide that a 35 year old (turns 36 in the middle of the 2021 season) player is worth extending, probably for more money.

He’s old but he doesn’t have a lot of mileage. He’s certainly not here for a while but he’s a really good player. It isn’t crazy to think that he is the RT for 3 years.

• Like (+1) 1