Bills host OG Quinton Spain from Titans***Update...SIGNED***

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

The point of acquiring good players is to create competition in training camp.  Sometimes that means cutting a player that could make another team's roster.  That's acceptable if you're not getting stuck with piles of dead cap money and you end up with your 5 or 6 best receivers.  

Completely disagree!!   The point of acquiring good players is to have them make the final roster and play in meaningful games starting in September.  Yes that's fine if every position on your roster is flush with talent, but if there's some positions like say LB ,safety, or even punter where you can bring in a rookie and there's a pretty high chance they make the roster, that's better than having 12 guys completing for 9 O-line slots or 5 to 6 WR slots and cutting the rest.  In nothing else, you wasted the signing bonus

I'm guessing at least one of these lineman they've just signed will be cut or maybe Teller, but he's on a cheap rookie contract so more incentive to keep him than a higher priced backup unless much, much better in talent. If it's a 5th or 6th round pick can likely hide that guy on the practice squad.  Or you hope maybe the higher draft pick that is at a position with depth, you hope he gets a hang nail so can hide him on IR for a year.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He was my #1 FA target for the Bills.

We got three of the 4 guys I wanted - Spain, Kroft and Morse...... great job Beano.

Does this mean Oliver is our target? You and Beane are both on a roll.

Arg - one of my peeves on this board - when there's a significant change in status (something going from weeks of speculation to actually happening) can't a new thread be opened instead of leaving pages of stale old/obsolete posts live on in perpetuity.  Hate going backwards for pages trying to find when the new event started.  I feel better now - back to your scheduled program.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He hasn’t been marginal though. He has been a borderline dominant player but played behind 2 early picks (one of whom is an All-Pro). Nsekhe is our best OT now. He’s just old. He’s probably a 2-3 year solution. 

I will trust you Kirby as your info is usually spot on. I see a guy who has 16 starts in four years and will take a wait and see approach if he can be an answer at RT.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Going to be a major battle for that RG spot but I think the winner will be a huge upgrade over Miller.  And I have no idea what they're going to do at the OT spots seeing as how both Dawkins and Nsekhe seem and/or say that they are better at LT than RT.

Now...where can I go to bet big on the over for wins this season?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Completely disagree!!   The point of acquiring good players is to have them make the final roster and play in meaningful games starting in September.  Yes that's fine if every position on your roster is flush with talent, but if there's some positions like say LB ,safety, or even punter where you can bring in a rookie and there's a pretty high chance they make the roster, that's better than having 12 guys completing for 9 O-line slots or 5 to 6 WR slots and cutting the rest.  In nothing else, you wasted the signing bonus

I'm guessing at least one of these lineman they've just signed will be cut or maybe Teller, but he's on a cheap rookie contract so more incentive to keep him than a higher priced backup unless much, much better in talent. If it's a 5th or 6th round pick can likely hide that guy on the practice squad.  Or you hope maybe the higher draft pick that is at a position with depth, you hope he gets a hang nail so can hide him on IR for a year.

I get the feeling Teller is destined for the PS. He wasnt any better than Ducasse or Miller.  Hope Im wrong and he develops nicely. Because he would be a nice cheap backup at a minimum. Feliciano is probably the one most likely to not make the roster of the FA signings unless he can back up at C.

• Like (+1) 2

I know this will be a big shocker coming from a relentless optimist, but...I love this signing! 

Of all the o-line signings this offseason, Spain is only the second guy (Morse being the first) that I view as a surefire starter. 

In my opinion, the Bills had only one surefire starter (Dawkins) along the o-line when the offseason started. Now they have 3/5. I have confidence that the one of the many guard candidates will capably fill the other OG spot. The biggest remaining concern is RT, where Nsekhe can and maybe WILL start for a year, but isn't the long term answer.

Still, seeing two high quality starters (whose strength happens to be pass blocking, by the way) added, as well as a bunch of depth and competition, has been awesome. Outstanding job by Beane making major OL upgrades without breaking the bank or hamstringing the freshly resuscitated salary cap situation.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

I get the feeling Teller is destined for the PS. He wasnt any better than Ducasse or Miller.  Hope Im wrong and he develops nicely. Because he would be a nice cheap backup at a minimum. Feliciano is probably the one most likely to not make the roster of the FA signings unless he can back up at C.

Teller's got a tough row to hoe with all the FA's they signed.  I think all the FA's they signed (including Long) stick.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Going to be a major battle for that RG spot but I think the winner will be a huge upgrade over Miller.  And I have no idea what they're going to do at the OT spots seeing as how both Dawkins and Nsekhe seem and/or say that they are better at LT than RT.

Now...where can I go to bet big on the over for wins this season?

I thought the same thing! Better place that bet soon. The closer we get to opening day, that win total is gonna go up 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This what the Patriots did last year. They loaded up with tight ends, fullbacks, and big offensive linemen and literally smashed people with old school power, duo, and counter plays, all the way to the Super bowl. With teams spending so much more time in nickel and getting smaller, quicker linebackers, it makes sense to attack them with some old school smash mouth football. And the playaction attack gets that much better. 

Win in the trenches

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Does he still have eligibility left based on how many games he played last year?

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I will trust you Kirby as your info is usually spot on. I see a guy who has 16 starts in four years and will take a wait and see approach if he can be an answer at RT.

There's some good video of when the Skins played the Texans last year and Nsekhe dominated Clowney.  He's good.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Not sure having the most FA signings is a good thing??  But considering the holes we had last year, can't hurt.

This is going to kill their comp pick formula! What are these guys thinking!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rhode Island Red said:

To me this signing adds a little fuel to the “trade up for a (defensive) stud” fire....

See this is what im wondering.  We have added so much depth talented players are going to get cut all over the place.  How many draft picks are we going to walk away with after the draft?  Im hoping we move a ton and move up for some quality players vs depth.  So exciting