Bills host OG Quinton Spain from Titans***Update...SIGNED***

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I could also see a former 1st round corner like Kevin Johnson cashing in somewhere if he stays healthy and has a good year. Positional value and young age will help there. 

There's also the tag, if Spain excels.

25 minutes ago, Rufridr101 said:

Are we the largest offensive line in the league 

This what the Patriots did last year. They loaded up with tight ends, fullbacks, and big offensive linemen and literally smashed people with old school power, duo, and counter plays, all the way to the Super bowl. With teams spending so much more time in nickel and getting smaller, quicker linebackers, it makes sense to attack them with some old school smash mouth football. And the playaction attack gets that much better. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This what the Patriots did last year. They loaded up with tight ends, fullbacks, and big offensive linemen and literally smashed people with old school power, duo, and counter plays, all the way to the Super bowl. With teams spending so much more time in nickel and getting smaller, quicker linebackers, it makes sense to attack them with some old school smash mouth football. And the playaction attack gets that much better. 

I immediately think of Darron Lee and Kiko Alonso in our own division 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

This player was undrafted, not retained by his original team, and then signed a one year deal. I never heard of him before. We seem to be very exited over this signing and I hope that he winds up in the Pro Bowl.

That said, can someone tell me what specifically he excels at. Is he just so good that we should overlook OL help in the draft?

He's given up 5 sacks in 4 years (48 starts)

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=29063

I can live with that.

• Like (+1) 4

31 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Hope you are correct. He has been a marginal swing tackle most of his career and is 33. Mills was mostly below average, decent in run game, and putrid at time in pass protection. Just not convinced Nsekhe is much better. Still want to see OT drafted on day 2

They will likely Draft an OT but Nseke and actually Waddle are both much better than Mills.  Nseke is is solid run blocker and a very good Pass Blocker.  As I said just wish he was younger so we wouldnt have to worry about the RT in the future

• Like (+1) 1

18: vs HOU 9/16, vs PHI 9/30, vs BAL 10/14, vs JAX 12/06, @NYG 12/16

BEST
Mental Processing, Pass Pro, Anchor
WORST
UOH, Initial contact on pulls, finishing
PROJECTION
Starting OG you can win with in quick pass, zone-blocking scheme that allows him to uses his athletic traitsandmental processing, Pass Pro, and Anchor abilities. Limited by poor UOH, finishing, and functional strength.
SCHEME FIT
Best fits in quick pass, zone-blocking scheme that allows him to use his short area quickness.
SUMMARY
4th year OG who has started 48 of 50 games, including 15 of 15 in 2018. 1styear under rookie HC Mike Vrabel, OC/play-caller Matt LaFleur’s West Coast based offense(1styear as a play-caller in NFL), and OL coach Keith Carter (1styear as an OL coach). Wasbenched in the second half of week 13, but started again the rest of the season. Solid height, good weight on a top heavy frame, with elite arm length, adequate hand size, and solid AA due to good agility, foot speed, and quickness, solid explosiveness, adequate bend, and marginal balance. Shows good mental processing pre-snap by receiving cue from QB then relaying to OC to snap the ball when in Shotgun and Pistol. Solid get-off on Gap blocks from 2 and 3-point stances. Able to stay square and engage DL and LB in assigned gap. Shows good understanding of when to stay on DBL and when to move on to the next assignment. Shows solid footwork to stay level and square. Shows solid ability to locate assignment on Pull blocks. Solid overall Zone blocking, with solid get off on Zone blocks from 2 and 3-point stances. Solid ability to engage Scoop blocks due to foot quickness to get to POA, keeps solid wide base and footwork. Shows good ability to locate and get to POA on reach blocks due to good agility and short area quickness and long arms. Demonstrates solid ability to block smaller body types in open space/screen plays, such as LB and Safeties. Shows solid ability to sustain Zone blocks due to his solid base and reach. Solid in Pass Pro, as he is able to set a solid wide base from 2/3 point stances while setting good set points due to quick footwork. Shows good set quickness to intersect rushers. Able to recognize most inside threat, and when to shift to more immediate threats due to good mental processing. Able to pick up stunts/twists due to good mental processing. Solid Anchor due to solid back strength and long arms, able to compete against solid power-rushers, maintaining clean pocket for 3-4 seconds. Good mental toughness, able to bounce back from poor play, fought to reclaim starting job after week 13 benching. Adequate overall Gap Blocker, struggles to get push at POA due to adequate play strength and poor UOH (late and outside). Marginal ability on pull blocksdue to habit of lowering his head before making contact which results in whiffs, as well as taking false steps when pulling. Adequate ability to sustain blocks due to poor UOH, resulting in players being able to turn him and make a play on ball-carrier. Sometimes will lower head on reach/2ndlevel blocks causing him to miss defender and have poor hand placement. Adequate sustaining zone blocks due to poor hand placement resulting in being levered by DL. Marginal finish on run blocks due to poor UOH, creating marginal leverage and adequate play strength, doesn’t block through the whistle by coming off blocks early if he believes the ball carrier is not near him. Is late on punch in Pass Pro resulting in poor UOH. Is adequate in maintaining half-man relationship vs smaller bodied DL/all types LBs. Marginal ability to deal with counters due to poor UOH and marginal balance, especially against swim moves. Struggles as Anchor against good power-rushers, and can be pushed into QB has to go beyond second read. Adequate overall Competitive toughness due to lack of effort on rollout play-action passes, and marginal aggressiveness show on run plays. Overall starting OG you can win with because of his mental processing, Pass Pro, and Anchor abilities. Best fits in quick pass, zone-blocking scheme that allows him to uses his athletic traits. Ideally would benefit from an experience OL coach to help fix his poor UOH, finishing, and functional strength

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it is two sided here as well. I suspect when we see contract details Spain has signed at a pretty modest price. My guess on how this went down is that the Bills were interested in him early but he had a number in his head that we were not willing to go to so we went out and signed Feliciano. Then Spain realised his market was more at the price Buffalo offered than the price in he and his agent's head. Beane then rings him back and says "we are still interested" and he and his agent say "we will take that for one year" and bet on him to prove his value and have another dip at a big UFA deal in 2020. That is my take on how we ended up here.

..if he's "hitting it out of the park" at the 3/4 pole, maybe McBeane tries to extend him in season......

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is true - they could I suppose go: Nsekhe - Dawkins - Morse - Spain - draft pick

I just maintain what I have already said about this (even though you know I share your view that Dawkins could be a dominant LG and will only ever be a serviceable LT)..... I am only moving Dawkins from LT to play Nsekhe there if I have already decided Dawkins is not my long term LT. If I still think he might be then I am sticking with him at that spot (I suspect the Bills still think he might be) rather than moving him about to accommodate a 33 year old career backup. 

I assume they haven’t concluded that yet, given he struggled after Richie left and playing next to a combo of Ducasse and a mid round rookie. They also canned the OL coach which tells me they hold him accountable for some of Dawkins regression.  If I’m Bobby Johnson I want to see him play next to a decent vet LG in my scheme before making any determinations about changing his position.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This year is shaping up to make us true contenders imo

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Dare I say with all these guys signed, that we are building a bully??

There’s that ‘irrational exuberance’ again...?

However, upon this signing, I for some reason thought back to the first words in the 2015 Star Wars trailer:  “There’s been an awakening...have you felt it?”  Apparently, it’s my ‘irrational exuberance’.  It’s gotta be that 2019 draft hat...?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Plug for the draft hat...even if not ‘made in USA’.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Hope you are correct. He has been a marginal swing tackle most of his career and is 33. Mills was mostly below average, decent in run game, and putrid at time in pass protection. Just not convinced Nsekhe is much better. Still want to see OT drafted on day 2

He hasn’t been marginal though. He has been a borderline dominant player but played behind 2 early picks (one of whom is an All-Pro). Nsekhe is our best OT now. He’s just old. He’s probably a 2-3 year solution. 

• Like (+1) 5

33 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

This player was undrafted, not retained by his original team, and then signed a one year deal. I never heard of him before. We seem to be very exited over this signing and I hope that he winds up in the Pro Bowl.

That said, can someone tell me what specifically he excels at. Is he just so good that we should overlook OL help in the draft?

Bill, you will love him. He is an outstanding and nasty run blocker who consistently gets to the second level and seals off lanes for his running back. He has very good short area quickness for those counter plays that Daboll loves to run and he is a finisher. Great size, good solid base in pass pro, he has occasionally got a bit grabby but he has allowed very few sacks in his NFL career. Part of that is he has a fantastic feel for when the pocket is about to move or the Quarterback is about to escape and he is excellent at re-directing rushers to create escape lanes. Go and watch some of Mariota's long runs his first two years.... the man who senses the play is breaking down and his QB needs an escape route is Quinton Spain, again and again and again.

He is one of the least heralded and most underrated players in the league. He was absolutely my #1 FA target for this team. I am not just very excited I am absolutely delighted the Bills have managed to get him.

Given that it is a one year prove it deal it shouldn't preclude us from looking for interior help in the draft but for me that is now a development high ceiling guy rather than a guy you need to be an instant starter.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3