Bills host OG Quinton Spain from Titans***Update...SIGNED***

On 3/22/2019 at 2:34 PM, gonzo1105 said:

I think that it is more of an indication that they don't plan on moving Dawkins to the inside. They already brought in Long, Feliciano and apparently are still interested in adding another guard. Makes me think they are less sold on Wyatt Teller more than anything.

Teller flashed moments, but could use more time and coaching up so I think you are on to something and he may well sit.

Hard to tell what we had in Teller with the jail breaks going on all around him, but on another thread we discussed this in depth.

General consensus was he needs to work on recognizing stunts, his lower body stregth, lateral speed\movement\staying square, hand placement and leverage, and toss in his kick slides.

So....it was a bit early to throw him to the wolves and he needs a lot of work, but I think the raw talent is there, drive, and upper body strength. 

If uncovered he had a tendency to turn his shoulders to help on double-teams giving up a soft edge for delayed blitzes, twists, or stunts. This was not limited to Teller - seemed like a problem across the line whenever defenses attacked the gaps to try to create those opportunities.

Just not fully baked yet, but solid coaching, NFL level strength training, and having proven vets around him will speed the development along, if the Bills decide to give him some more time.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Some had a chub for Teller- I think he is very raw and not athletic at all. Brute strength without technique spells doom in todays NFL.

Might want to go back and look at his college vid's..he has great feet and can pull out.They didn't use him that way last season because we didn't have a center capable of making a shift over to take his gap.Be much different this year with a bonified center in Morse.JMO.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, scribo said:

First, these very tall, wide-bodies are finally possible because we have a tall QB.

Based what I see from him on Twitter, I think Spain may want more than anyone is willing to pay right now. May have to wait a bit.

Who else are we going to spend the money on?

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Might want to go back and look at his college vid's..he has great feet and can pull out.They didn't use him that way last season because we didn't have a center capable of making a shift over to take his gap.Be much different this year with a bonified center in Morse.JMO.

That takes discipline.

12 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

I have said the same thing the other day... even the TE and RB they picked up are good in the pass game.

Looks like we’re going to be going deeeeeep and often , 

with 2 speedsters on the outside, hopefully that will help our running game to get back on track !!!

23 hours ago, Doc said:

Ah.  I say let them all compete and may the best men win.

23 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agree.  The OL is not about individuals.  Let the coaches find out who plays well with their partners on the line.

Way to early to figure that out.

The one down side of that is you don't then give the 5 players you go with enough time to jell.  I think that was a big problem the Bills had last year in training camp, the constant juggling of their line, and same thing at QB.  No one got enough reps with the first team.  I realize these guys are all vets so likely don't need as much time, but with today's CBA rules it limits the amount of work you get.  Let the compete for a couple of weeks of camp, but would like to see them settle on the starting five by 3rd pre-season game.  Or be OK with sub par line play the first couple weeks of the season.

I can see some of these signings not making it through camp.  Excluding Morse, did we give any of them much of a signing bonus, how much of a cap hit will we have if we cut a couple of them?  I'm guessing it's not high, but will be something.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

But doesn't usually work.

No it works, just may not get the intended results!

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The one down side of that is you don't then give the 5 players you go with enough time to jell.  I think that was a big problem the Bills had last year in training camp, the constant juggling of their line, and same thing at QB.  No one got enough reps with the first team.  I realize these guys are all vets so likely don't need as much time, but with today's CBA rules it limits the amount of work you get.  Let the compete for a couple of weeks of camp, but would like to see them settle on the starting five by 3rd pre-season game.  Or be OK with sub par line play the first couple weeks of the season.

I can see some of these signings not making it through camp.  Excluding Morse, did we give any of them much of a signing bonus, how much of a cap hit will we have if we cut a couple of them?  I'm guessing it's not high, but will be something.

WRT OL, I see all (4) of the signed guys making the roster.  And I agree that the sooner they decide on a starting 5 the better.

15 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

What I am seeing from all the OL signings and who they are talking with is they are all very good pass protecting. Could it be I might see a modern NFL Offense in Buffalo. 

If, by modern, you mean pass first, I hope not. Our QB is the top running QB except maybe L Jackson and his aim is consistently off. I think a run first approach makes a lot more sense.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

If, by modern, you mean pass first, I hope not. Our QB is the top running QB except maybe L Jackson and his aim is consistently off. I think a run first approach makes a lot more sense.

Well, you repeatedly come on here and badmouth Allen as a qb. You want him to keep running because you think he's inaccurate and not much of a passer. I don't think you're going to see Allen stop running. Having time to see the field and throw, having wrs who can reliably catch the ball and with speed to stretch the field may benefit both passing and running. They're not mutually exclusive options.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, you repeatedly come on here and badmouth Allen as a qb. You want him to keep running because you think he's inaccurate and not much of a passer. I don't think you're going to see Allen stop running. Having time to see the field and throw, having wrs who can reliably catch the ball and with speed to stretch the field may benefit both passing and running. They're not mutually exclusive options.

...good call Doc......crazy to eliminate the run dynamic from Allen's arsenal........just need to reduce it a bit, becoming more selective and relying on his supporting cast......rather have him on the field for 10 years as our franchise quy versus on a gurney as a headhunter target...........

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dawkins listed as a guard when we drafted him? Could we see:

Nsekhe, Dawkins, Morse, Spain, Waddle?

I think Waddle is good depth. I doubt you want him starting. If Dawkins gets moved to guard, they still need a solid OT. The fact that they are courting Spain makes me think they are keeping Dawkins at tackle, though I do think he has potential to be dominant at LG.

..can't find where else he has visited.......wonder how accurate this PFF assessment is and whether it is an impediment......

.."After earning a career-high 84.2 overall grade in 2016, Tennessee Titans guard Quinton Spain has struggled to return to such form. His run-blocking grade has fallen from 80.8 in 2016 to 57.3 in 2018. "..

.."Spain’s pass-blocking grade has been 75.6 or higher all four years of his career; it’s his run blocking that has been up and down. He needs to get back to where he was in 2016 as a run blocker to blossom in the NFL again."...

36 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Don't feed the trolls!

43 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dawkins listed as a guard when we drafted him? Could we see:

Nsekhe, Dawkins, Morse, Spain, Waddle?

I think we will draft a RT. It is the only position on the o-line we didn't spend a good chunk of money on. I don't think they want to go into the season with Waddle as a starter. But yeah I could see Dawkins moved to guard. Beane was asked about it earlier this year and he didn't rule it out.

• Like (+1) 1