Bills host OG Quinton Spain from Titans***Update...SIGNED***

15 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I think that it is more of an indication that they don't plan on moving Dawkins to the inside. They already brought in Long, Feliciano and apparently are still interested in adding another guard. Makes me think they are less sold on Wyatt Teller more than anything.

Yeah, I think Teller's spot is in big trouble. If they sign him, there will be a lot of completion at the guard spot--heck, there already is.

29 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

It was his year 4 restricted free agent tender contract.  No bearing on his next deal. 

...sorry for confusion......not implying there is any correlation......with no FA bites yet, structure a nice pay raise from his $1.9 mil versus some mega deal.....

11 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

I would make the case that "talent" isn't the be all an end all when it comes to good O-line play. There are plenty of early first round tackles and guards who bust. They are hard positions to project. What's more important IMO is getting players who have the basic wherewithal to execute the chosen scheme and then coach them up to where they can execute efficiently as a unit. I feel the Patriots have solid line play not because they have "talented" players but because they have the guys with the aptitude to do what Dante wants and nobody coaches them up better than him (sure Tom gets the ball out quick, but they've been a run heavy team for years now). Looks to me that's what Beane is looking to do and it makes sense to me.

this

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...sorry for confusion......not implying there is any correlation......with no FA bites yet, structure a nice pay raise from his $1.9 mil versus some mega deal.....

Oh sorry. I just was pointing out to people why he only made $1.9M last season.  That it was due to the tender offer he got as a RFA, not a market value UFA contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GreggTX said:

He's an above average G. This signing would make very happy. Solid pass protector.

I don't know what to make of Long. Everyone seems to think he's the starter, but I'm not so sure about that. I also think everyone is giving up on Teller too easily. In any case, i's looking like they'll stay put at 9 and get Kyle's replacement, imo.

I really like Long. He played a ton of right guard at Nebraska and played a bit of right guard for the Skins. They made him a center out of necessity and he wound up getting that big contract from the Jets. I think he's a guard and I would like to see what he could do if they just left him at right guard, which seems like his natural position. 

I am also one of the few that actually like Wyatt Teller. I think that if we sign Spain, Teller basically enters a three way competition at right guard with Long and Feliciano. I think Teller has upside and I think he would go in the second or third round in this draft. Most of his college experience was at left guard I believe. Guys like he and Dawkins are converted defensive linemen and so there is some rawness to their game. But there is also an element of nastiness there. Spain, Long, Feliciano, Teller all have some nastiness to their game. Ike Boettger has some of that as well. 

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm thinking something like 2 years, $14M with $8M gtd

That would certainly be okay for a guy we can depend on to keep Allen upright. From what I see he’s always done well in pass pro but has been up and down as a run blocker. Possibly due to scheme.  Do you think he fits with the current scheme?

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That would certainly be okay for a guy we can depend on to keep Allen upright. From what I see he’s always done well in pass pro but has been up and down as a run blocker. Possibly due to scheme.  Do you think he fits with the current scheme?

He seems to be more comfortable in a power scheme, so I suppose it'll depend upon how much power-man Daboll incorporates into the offense.

I do want to stress that he's not exactly a liability in a zone scheme either; just doesn't quite allow him to "seek and destroy" the way he's most accustomed to playing 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Oh sorry. I just was pointing out to people why he only made $1.9M last season.  That it was due to the tender offer he got as a RFA, not a market value UFA contract. 

....so  what do you think would be an enticing deal to get him to sign with Blfo?....(original contract details are below)..

2015-2017 ORIGINAL CONTRACT

Contract: 3 yr(s) / $1,581,000 Signing Bonus $6,000 Average Salary$527,000 Guaranteed:$6,000 Free Agent:2018 / RFA
Year   Age Base Salary Signing Bonus Workout Bonus Cap Hit Dead Yearly Cash
2015 Player contract details by year 24 $435,000 $2,000 - $437,000 $6,000 $579,011($579,011)
2016 Player contract details by year 25 $525,000 $2,000 - $527,000 $4,000 $599,429($1,178,440)
2017 Player contract details by year 26 $615,000 $2,000 - $617,000 $2,000 $1,104,782($2,283,222)
2018 Free agent year 27 RFA  

16 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

When this new line coach came in he and Daboll must have concluded none of the returnees were worth squat.  I'm starting to wonder if Dawkins has a job.  They brought in two tackles and if they draft one he's probably out too.

I think the fact that Dawkins was even a serviceable LT under Castillo is promising. I am expecting the most improved player on this team to be Dawkins. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I think the fact that Dawkins was even a serviceable LT under Castillo is promising. I am expecting the most improved player on this team to be Dawkins. 

Dawkins also had a pro bowl guard inside in 2017 vs fan favorite Vlad Suckasse in 2018, so they probably feel poor interior line play had a role in Dawkins decline. 

8 hours ago, GreggTX said:

He's an above average G. This signing would make very happy. Solid pass protector.

I don't know what to make of Long. Everyone seems to think he's the starter, but I'm not so sure about that. I also think everyone is giving up on Teller too easily. In any case, i's looking like they'll stay put at 9 and get Kyle's replacement, imo.

Agreed on the plan for the 9 spot.

As for Long: The best case scenario for the Bills is that Teller wins one guard job outright, and Feliciano or Boettger win the other. This would allow Long to be high quality swing depth along the interior.

No matter how it works out in the end, I have confidence that the o-line will be much improved. If the Bills had to line up and start the season next Sunday, I already think the team would be leaps and bounds better than it was last year, based solely on our free agent additions. The fact that we still have 10 picks in April is icing on the cake.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1