Two Parkland Shooting Survivors (Teens) Commit Suicide Within a Week of Each Other

Gugny

6 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Some really sad outlooks on life around here.

Elaborate.  Myself?  I generally agree with you... It's okay if we don't.

18 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Why does the question even need to be asked? Why do you or any of us have to know what method she used to end her life, why does it matter?

It doesnt mean someone failed her, people may have done all they could. In many cases it doesnt matter how much help or support they have, if they have issues or reasons why they feel they need to do it, they are going to do it. She wasnt some young kid who didnt know what she was doing or how dangerous a gun can be. At her age it's not hard to find a gun someone may have stored properly .

It does matter.  You don't see the extension from the first incident? We are armed to the teeth as a culture. It's ez-pz for people to get lax with their firearms because they are ubiquitous.

If somebody takes your car, you know it... Right?  If somebody pings your bank account, I hope you have text alerts.

Of course faulty impulse controls are at the heart of the issue.  Yet, I will contend a firearm suicide is on one of convenience & efficiency.  Was it just laying there?

I am not blaming the weapon.

That's not saying one in distress won't find a way.  But time is critical.  Anything that slows things down, let's time play out is of utmost importance and allows help to intervene.

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

So:

It's terrible when a young person takes her life. No one disputes that. But it's hardly an isolated incident. What makes this different is the tangential link to a school shooting. 

I feel like this post is more about anger over an over-politicized school shooting and less about the sad story of a young girl killing herself.

What, exactly, IS the true purpose of this post?

The true purpose of this post was multi-faceted.

I wanted to bring attention to it because it's a lesson (for some) that the effects of violence (not just gun violence) is far-reaching.  It's not isolated to the direct victims and their immediate families.

Yes ... I am angry about any/all mass shootings.   I am angry that they are immediately politicized.  But I assure you that my sorrow for this young girl's passing is what drove me to start the thread.  If I wanted to make it a gun control thread, a) I wouldn't have done it and b) if I did, it would have been in PPP.

We (society, in general) need to stop digging in our heels and feeling the need to be right.  We need to stop being so painfully simple to think that the answers are black and white.  To not agree with the statement:  "There is a gun violence problem in the United States," is utterly stupid.  And to think that removing all guns from citizens is the answer ... well, I think that's equally as stupid.

There is an in between.  There are practical thoughts on the topic.  But too few people want to share them and discuss them.  Why?  Because extremists on BOTH sides ruin any chance at having a meaningful discussion.

When politics can be removed from these discussions, we might get somewhere.  But, again, everyone seems to just want to be right instead of becoming part of a solution.  That's sad.

So ... the purpose of this post was to recognize that there is another casualty to an act of violence that occurred a year ago.  A beautiful young lady, after watching her best friend be murdered by a firearm, took her life with a firearm.  To me, that's significant.  But mostly, it's just very, very sad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Whats the hardest part of pressing the gas pedal ?       

Got better odds to die almost instantly pulling a trigger.  Pulling a trigger tends to be irreversible.  I would say +9/10 to the head = certain death.  I say certain as the key word.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

As far as I can tell, that would defeat the point of these online chat forums!  

They seem to exist as a way for a certain kind of person to argue incessantly with anonymous strangers about amorphous topics that probably don't have a huge impact on their daily lives.

What the hell did these people do a few years ago to help pass the time, when the internet didn't exist?  

I wonder about this.

Discussion is one thing Chef and I have no issues with a good conversation. (I’ve been in many)

getting nasty with fellow fans here is not needed. 

They wrote letters, hired out a Billboard or flew banners behind airplanes. 

On 3/22/2019 at 1:34 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

No disrespect.  Just curious... Does anybody know how she committed suicide.  Was it with a firearm?

Again... Just curious.  And yes, I think it does matter that we know.  Hope that avenue (sadly a deadly efficient way) wasn't the issue. Tragic that it couldn't have been prevented.

Such BS saying you weren't making it political.  I bet you said "yes!!!" to yourself when you found out it was a gun so you could push your agenda.  Pathetic.  

24 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Of course because you would have been disappointed at the form of suicide because it wouldn't allow you to push your anti-gun agenda.  Bad form EII real bad form.  

I dont think the anti-gun agenda needs any help from me. So many loose weapons out there floating around, it needs no help.

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I dont think the anti-gun agenda needs any help from me. So many loose weapons out there floating around, it needs no help.

But you felt the need to turn a tragic death into a conversation about guns.  Bravo.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You're 2 watt bulb... She killed herself over something about guns.

No she killed herself over a tragedy that she survived and the guilt of her survival prompted her to kill herself.  You wondering aloud about what means she used to commit suicide hoping it was a gun is pathetic.  And don't even think about saying you weren't going the guns bad route with your musings because if you do I think it's safe to say you're a liar. I have nothing else to add to this other than you should be ashamed of yourself.  

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

No she killed herself over a tragedy that she survived and the guilt of her survival prompted her to kill herself.  You wondering aloud about what means she used to commit suicide hoping it was a gun is pathetic.  And don't even think about saying you weren't going the guns bad route with your musings because if you do I think it's safe to say you're a liar. I have nothing else to add to this other than you should be ashamed of yourself.  

Don't worry Dude... Nobody is coming for your pistola.  You can pack in peace.

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Don't worry Dude... Nobody is coming for your pistola.  You can pack in peace.

You two are both great dudes.  I honestly don't think EII was hoping for this to turn into an anti-gun crusade.  And I appreciate Jim protecting the true meaning of the thread.

I really think it's a great opportunity to discuss the multiple problems with what happened with this young girl.  Guns, mental health, addiction, suicide, lack of available quality assistance.  They're all relevant issues that can be discussed without getting pissed.  We owe it to the thousands upon thousands of victims ... not just direct victims of gun violence.  All victims of all of the aforementioned issues; both those who are deceased and those who are left behind to grieve.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

trying to justify your post I see.

carry on.

I don't understand your response to Exile's post? What was so disrespectful or troublesome about it? If a person learned that someone committed suicide why is inquiring how the person killed himself/herself beyond the pale? The method of the act certainly is an obvious line of inquiry after learning about the death.  Are you suggesting that he is politicizing the death and has an agenda because it involved a gun? Your response and not his question is puzzling, at least to me. 

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You two are both great dudes.  And I appreciate Jim protecting the true meaning of the thread.

If I told you once I told you a million times.  I am NOT giving up The Egg!!

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't understand your response to Exile's post? What was so disrespectful or troublesome about it? If a person learned that someone committed suicide why is inquiring how the person killed himself/herself beyond the pale? The method of the act certainly is an obvious line of inquiry after learning about the death.  Are you suggesting that he is politicizing the death and has an agenda because it involved a gun? Your response and not his question is puzzling, at least to me. 

Because we're pretty darn sure if she hung herself EII would not have posted anything else in this thread regarding the method used.  Hopefully that answers your last question.  I know that's absolutely what I'm suggesting.  

But I will respect the girl and her poor family and not discuss this aspect of it any further.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Say what you want about EII.  But he isn't an Indian Giver.

I'm such a skeptic............I read somewhere that she didn't go to therapy, so I don't know how she was diagnosed with PTSD.  She also wasn't in the building that it happened, and I would think trauma being right in the name PTSD that that would be part of the it...........And, it's saying her best friend died.  Do you ever see how many girls are called best friends by other girls on social media.  They usually have 20 BFFs.

So, I'm not so sure you can say that this is directly tied to the shootings.  It could be.  But, I haven't seen anything yet that convinces me.............And, it's blown up so that people liked Exiled can make it more of an anti gun thing.  (I'm not even pro gun, just anti media) 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Because we're pretty darn sure if she hung herself EII would not have posted anything else in this thread regarding the method used.  Hopefully that answers your last question.  I know that's absolutely what I'm suggesting.  

But I will respect the girl and her poor family and not discuss this aspect of it any further.  

I'm not aware of Exile's political inclinations. My point is when the subject of suicide arises there is nothing surprising that the method of the act is the next obvious question.