Bills sign TE Jake Fisher to 1-year deal

2 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Why did he give up being a tackle. Was be no good? Haven't followed his career. More money in OT position. 

He had some injuries and when he did play he was not great. Maybe he just isn't happy, but a smallish tackle could make for a really good blocking tight end. 

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He had some injuries and when he did play he was not great. Maybe he just isn't happy, but a smallish tackle could make for a really good blocking tight end. 

You seem to be the OL guru around these parts.

What do you think of the 6 man OL looks teams like the Seahawks are employing and do you think Fisher could be an asset in that role as a glorified eligible "extra" tackle?

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

As an OT you're blocking DL but as a TE it's LB's and S's.  Big difference. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

If he’s just a blocking TE why not sign an extra tackle and make him eligible on some plays?

Unless he is actually a bit of a threat catching the ball, I guess I don’t get it.

I think we just did but he also plays TE.  Doesnt need to report as Tackle eligible.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

As an OT you're blocking DL but as a TE it's LB's and S's.  Big difference. 

i suspect being a smaller T he is pretty decent at reading what is about to happen on the edge.he likely knew where his tight end was and what his call was.
And he thinks he can play that position.

it is a big difference.

might be a big difference for the LBs and S trying to cover an OT as well ?

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

You seem to be the OL guru around these parts.

What do you think of the 6 man OL looks teams like the Seahawks are employing and do you think Fisher could be an asset in that role as a glorified eligible "extra" tackle?

Thank you! 

Having an eligible number allows you to move that glorified tackle in Fisher around more. You can overload one side and have Fisher play a wing off the ball. Basically, you can play him off the ball and shift him and things of that nature. You can also run balanced formations with Fisher on one side and a tackle as the tight end on the other, which gives you strong running looks both ways, but also gives you the ability to have tackle eligible plays away from Fisher. You have an eligible tackle who does not have to declare as eligible. 

You can do do stuff like the Patriots did and hide Fisher as a tackle even though he is a tight end. The Patriots fooled the Ravens becuase they only had four linemen in the game with seven skill position players. Though the tight end, hidden as the left tackle was the eligible receiver and the slot player was not. So you can have looks like that, but with Fisher's tackle experience, you would still have a strong threat to run the ball as well. 

IMG_0262.JPG

• Awesome! (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I think we just did but he also plays TE.  Doesnt need to report as Tackle eligible.

Right. I get that. I guess I should be more clear. I’d rather have a tackle, playong at normal tackle weight, loning up at TE on a run heavy formation. I see nothing that makes me think this guy is a pass catching threat is why I made the statement.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

5 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Right. I get that. I guess I should be more clear. I’d rather have a tackle, playong at normal tackle weight, loning up at TE on a run heavy formation. I see nothing that makes me think this guy is a pass catching threat is why I made the statement.

You can have a lineman downfield and not get flaged.  But if he is a recieving threat we need to establish it Quickly.

5 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I think you can get the best of both worlds, where you can overload one side with extra tackles and put Fisher on the backside to block as a tackle. He's probably goodenough to seal the backside, you get a strong backside run lane, and you basically get tackle eligible on both sides, with the guy opposite Fisher declaring. 

I think assuming he is going to come into camp in a tackle's body is a mistake.  He was a beefed up TE to start with, if they got him down to 265/270 he will still be massive for a TE but he will gain mobility.  I just see so many people talking about solely tackle eligible type situations and that's just not going to be it.  He's either going to make the team as a real TE or he's not going to make it.

52 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Why did he give up being a tackle. Was be no good? Haven't followed his career. More money in OT position. 

I thought I read that he had a heart condition at some point in last few years.  Maybe he didn’t want to be 300lbs anymore.  Can’t be good for the heart to be that heavy.  

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I think assuming he is going to come into camp in a tackle's body is a mistake.  He was a beefed up TE to start with, if they got him down to 265/270 he will still be massive for a TE but he will gain mobility.  I just see so many people talking about solely tackle eligible type situations and that's just not going to be it.  He's either going to make the team as a real TE or he's not going to make it.

I'm speculating,  but I think this is more of a Daboll experiment with TE possibilities vs. Beane looking at Fisher as a "typical" blocking TE.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm speculating,  but I think this is more of a Daboll experiment with TE possibilities vs. Beane looking at Fisher as a "typical" blocking TE.

Yes, but if he can't run a route or catch a ball you tip the defense when he's on the field.  If he can't do TE things he won't be here.

5 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Yes, but if he can't run a route or catch a ball you tip the defense when he's on the field.  If he can't do TE things he won't be here.

Yes, he would have to prove he is capable of catching 8 or so passes for the year but I think if he makes the team it would be more about

creating matchup issues in the run blocking.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

I don't think anyone thinks he going to come into camp in a tackle's body.  He's already down to 285# from 306# and I expect him to keep going as he transitions from adding/keeping weight on for bulk to losing weight to gain speed.  I mentioned earlier that I expect him to come in about 265#-270#.

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yes, he would have to prove he is capable of catching 8 or so passes for the year but I think if he makes the team it would be more about

creating matchup issues in the run blocking.

this

i think we 3 agree.
has to be able to catch. learning curve is prove it year.play as an honest TE threat
and i think this adds some potential wrinkles for Daboll.
its a good thing to ponder over

• Thank you (+1) 1