Bills sign TE Jake Fisher to 1-year deal

On 3/23/2019 at 1:04 AM, TOboy said:

Wondering what size he is now, I mean clearly he's tall, but has he leaned out a bit? Can he move? 

Like a  slow moving "Bronco" !!!!   

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Tommy Sweeney who they took in the 7th is similar in style to Fisher, whereas Croom is more Similar to Knox (though they seem to believe Knox has more upside. I have a feeling Sweeney might make it. Good to have the competition. 

Knox tested much faster than Croom, and he somes some upside as a blocker. Croom ran a 4.69, but Knox is significantly faster and he can actually block. I see no way for Croom to make the roster. I do think Fisher is a long shot as well, but it is an interesting experiment.  Knox should push Croom off the roster. 

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Tommy Sweeney who they took in the 7th is similar in style to Fisher, whereas Croom is more Similar to Knox (though they seem to believe Knox has more upside. I have a feeling Sweeney might make it. Good to have the competition. 

I don’t know much about Sweeney but the little bit I have watched of him I really liked. Seemed to be a good blocker, good hands and physical after the catch. His wasnt very fast tho. I could see the TEs being Kroft, Knox, Sweeney. Jason Pegula goes somewhere to be a spy lol

Just now, Not at the table Karlos said:

I don’t know much about Sweeney but the little bit I have watched of him I really liked. Seemed to be a good blocker, good hands and physical after the catch. His wasnt very fast tho. I could see the TEs being Kroft, Knox, Sweeney. Jason Pegula goes somewhere to be a spy lol

I really like Sweeney.  Long wingspan and extremely strong hands to catch Allen's fastballs.  His hands really stand out.  I think he makes the team and might have more of an immediate impact than Knox- who has more upside but needs more development- IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Good article. 6’6 and 268 is pretty lean. I am interested to see how fluid he is now. How well can he block 45-50 pounds lighter. If his strength is there and he can use his leverage and quickness he could stick around for awhile. I admire Fisher for giving it a shot at what he loves. 

We got Kroft, Knox, and one more guy fighting it out for the third TE...Or could 4 make the team with ST coming into play? Could Fisher be the emergency Tackle? 

That’s the Cretin’s exact size. 

Edited by Doc

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Knox tested much faster than Croom, and he somes some upside as a blocker. Croom ran a 4.69, but Knox is significantly faster and he can actually block. I see no way for Croom to make the roster. I do think Fisher is a long shot as well, but it is an interesting experiment.  Knox should push Croom off the roster. 

I just meant similar to Croom in that he’s a “move” TE vs a “blocking” TE. Just comparing styles

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I rarely listen to WGR but heard Murphy and Tasker yesterday talking about how hard Croom has been working at the Bills training facilities.

I think their depth situation is about right......nothing extra.  

If I had to guess I'd say a couple of these guys end up injured........based on history and experience I'd put the most likely to end up on IR or laid up for an extended period as Kroft and Knox.   Knox has only participated in 18 games as a TE since converting from QB in HS(and missed his HS senior season with ankle injury.....also just had sports hernia surgery in December) so my guess is this pick will either go very good or very bad.....no in between.  Injuries when trying to raise your game to a higher level of competition are common with rookies.   

Are we going with 4 TE's this year? If we go with 3 TE's on the active roster then I think Croom is done. Keep Sweeney on PR and call him up if needed. Think Sweeney has more to offer then Croom, combo blocking and catching TE.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Croom is more of an H-back type TE and the only one on the roster so he could be helped by that. Toss in  we've developed him in the last two years and we've kept 4 TEs in the past. Yet I  never see him every being anything more than a depth guy, so to me he's not competing with Knox but instead Sweeney is the one pushing him if we elect to only keep 3 TEs this season. 

43 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I rarely listen to WGR but heard Murphy and Tasker yesterday talking about how hard Croom has been working at the Bills training facilities.

I think their depth situation is about right......nothing extra.  

If I had to guess I'd say a couple of these guys end up injured........based on history and experience I'd put the most likely to end up on IR or laid up for an extended period as Kroft and Knox.   Knox has only participated in 18 games as a TE since converting from QB in HS(and missed his HS senior season with ankle injury.....also just had sports hernia surgery in December) so my guess is this pick will either go very good or very bad.....no in between.  Injuries when trying to raise your game to a higher level of competition are common with rookies.   

I was just thinking about that conversation reading this thread. Actually it was Chris Brown on with Murphy, and I remember thinking that Chris Brown was going out of his way to say nice thing about Jason Croom [a Peugula daughter's boyfriend thing?], but then he has nothing but positive things to say about all the players - which is why I don't find Brown at all interesting. Murphy and Tasker will both gently call out Bills players/poor play. 

Edited by Roch-A-Bill

21 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Depending on how you read that it's kind of funny

that is what I just posted .. 

That's still big for a TE no?   Neanderthal Gronk was 265 lbs and 6'6"

I would not be surprised if he's still losing some weight.  He might try and play in the 270s.  One reason he switched is that he found it difficult to maintain tackle weight.  I wish I could lose weight just by not trying to maintain a higher weight.

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

I would not be surprised if he's still losing some weight.  He might try and play in the 270s.  One reason he switched is that he found it difficult to maintain tackle weight.  I wish I could lose weight just by not trying to maintain a higher weight.

Read above for his current weight. 

On 3/22/2019 at 3:55 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The late Carrie Fisher’s nephew?  Someone said it’s a prerequisite for the Bills to sign a TE.

So the force is with us?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/22/2019 at 3:55 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The late Carrie Fisher’s nephew?  Someone said it’s a prerequisite for the Bills to sign a TE.

3 hours ago, TigerJ said:

So the force is with us?

That or TE Luke Stocker is our only hope. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 3/22/2019 at 6:31 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

I'm good with this. I wanted the team to sign a cheap guy like Eric Tomlinson, who is a 6-6, 265 lbs tight end who re-signed with the Jets after they non tendered him. Fisher is a much better athlete, bigger, and has bigger upside for sure. Daboll did some fun stuff last year with unbalanced formations, so having a guy like this can add to the variety. Let's see what happens. I still think they should look into Maxx Williams and roll with 4 tight ends like the Ravens. 

I also do do not think this keeps them from drafting a guy high. Both Fisher and Croom are longshot projects who are on the opposite sides of styles. 

Nobody I repeat Nobody is pushing Croom  off the roster. Dya not know who his GF is?