Trading for Josh Rosen Is the Smartest Move a QB-Needy NFL Team Can Make

7 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

This is my guess as well. Hearing that the Cardinals want too much for him right now, but  the price may drop on day on or around day one of the draft.

p.s.  If I were a team with an aging QB or an otherwise QB needy team, I would definitely take a flyer on Rosen, especially if he is available for a 2nd or 3rd. (for the record, I wanted Allen from day one and I do not really like Rosen because I don't believe he has the right temperament to be a successful QB for the long term. But there is enough talent there to take a shot)

Absolutely.  I will say he was the guy I wanted but I'm happy with who the Bills took.  Rosen will get a chance somewhere if the Cardinals take Murray.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Iamkrgr said:

Rosen is definitely a good target for a team needing a QB. I'd be getting really worried if a team like the Pat's make a move and have him sit behind TB for a year or 2. 

Really?

Tom Brady worries me.

Josh Rosen?

Not so much.

• Like (+1) 1

Realistically, if the price is a 3rd rounder like it's rumored to be, I'd bring him in here.  With Allen's play style, I'm worried about him missing games, Rosen would be on a cheap contract, worst case he's strictly the backup for 2 years and we flip him for something else.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Realistically, if the price is a 3rd rounder like it's rumored to be, I'd bring him in here.  With Allen's play style, I'm worried about him missing games, Rosen would be on a cheap contract, worst case he's strictly the backup for 2 years and we flip him for something else.

Those two personalities?

They'd both have neck injuries from looking over their shoulders all the time.

16 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

No way they get a second round pick.   I think a 3rd is more likely.  That’s terrible value for AZ.  

19 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

If that's true I am so happy we are no longer in need of a QB

...what exactly has Putz Boy proven to warrant a high pick other than piss off his teammates with his "fine whine" about where he was picked?......the sniveling rich kid just doesn't get it.....HINT: rumored on the block after one year should tell you something......glad McBeane didn't take this worm on the hook....strictly MY opinion.......others do like him and I certainly respect that......how this place is supposed to work..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Sorry, but that would be a terrible idea.

37 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I would only want that because when has a team ever had 2 of the 1st round QBs from the same draft?......

40 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

AZ GM is a functioning drunk and probably an idiot to boot. My guess is he’s asking too much at this point for Rosen but the price will go down as we get closer to the draft.

I thinks it's more that Arizona doesnt want to trade him til after they make their pick in the draft so they dont tip off the rest of the league as to who goes #1 ( the NFL may have also asked them to hold off til the draft so they dont ruin things by letting everyone know who's going first overall)

7 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I thinks it's more that Arizona doesnt want to trade him til after they make their pick in the draft so they dont tip off the rest of the league as to who goes #1 ( the NFL may have also asked them to hold off til the draft so they dont ruin things by letting everyone know who's going first overall)

The moment they draft a QB #1 overall, Rosen's trade value drops as teams know they aren't going to keep Rosen. While one could argue that teams will begin bidding on him, if they simply announced his availability now, the bidding would happen either way (assuming he is as coveted as people think). I just cant see the value in waiting if they know they are taking Murray.

1 minute ago, Westside Madness said:

The moment they draft a QB #1 overall, Rosen's trade value drops as teams know they aren't going to keep Rosen. While one could argue that teams will begin bidding on him, if they simply announced his availability now, the bidding would happen either way (assuming he is as coveted as people think). I just cant see the value in waiting if they know they are taking Murray.

Doesn't matter when they (announce they're going to) trade him: teams will know they're taking Murray or they've already taken him. 

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

Doesn't matter when they (announce they're going to) trade him: teams will know they're taking Murray or they've already taken him. 

I think it comes down to whether there is logic that supports not putting him on the block now ahead of the draft vs. trading him while they are on the clock or after they draft Murray. That's the part that I am wrestling with.

Re-reading your comment, its possible that you are implying that revealing that they are taking Murray is a negative. I don't see how that is the case when they have the #1 pick. If you have theories on either point, please share.

Edited by Westside Madness

10 minutes ago, Westside Madness said:

I think it comes down to whether there is logic that supports not putting him on the block now ahead of the draft vs. trading him while they are on the clock or after they draft Murray. That's the part that I am wrestling with.

Re-reading your comment, its possible that you are implying that revealing that they are taking Murray is a negative. I don't see how that is the case when they have the #1 pick. If you have theories on either point, please share.

I think they're taking Murray 1st and I think everyone else knows it as well.  If they look to trade him now, it tells everyone that that is true.  After they take Murray...

Now whether looking to trade him now and dangling him in front of QB needy teams in this weak draft versus waiting until the draft unfold and looking for a team that didn't get the QB they want is anyone's guess.  So again I don't think it matters when they decide to put him on the block.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I think they're taking Murray 1st and I think everyone else knows it as well.  If they look to trade him now, it tells everyone that that is true.  After they take Murray...

Now whether looking to trade him now and dangling him in front of QB needy teams in this weak draft versus waiting until the draft unfold and looking for a team that didn't get the QB they want is anyone's guess.  So again I don't think it matters when they decide to put him on the block.

I see where you are going with the first point, but then in your second point when you say you 'don't think it matters when they decide to put him on the block', doesn't that invalidate the first point? If it doesn't matter when they make him available for trade, what does it matter if the other teams know whether or not they are taking Murray?

2 minutes ago, Westside Madness said:

I see where you are going with the first point, but then in your second point when you say you 'don't think it matters when they decide to put him on the block', doesn't that invalidate the first point? If it doesn't matter when they make him available for trade, what does it matter if the other teams know whether or not they are taking Murray?

If they try and trade Rosen before the draft, it tells teams they're taking Murray.  After they select Murray, they've obviously already taken him.  In either case teams will know they need to move Rosen and that drops his trade value.

What I was saying about whether they should trade him now or later relates to theoretical advantages of dangling him in front of QB needy teams prior to the draft versus after those teams may have missed-out on one of the top QB's after the draft has started.

3 hours ago, DallasMac said:

I think a trade will happen on draft night.  A team will miss out on their guy and Rosen will be the consolation.

He will be the consolation prize 2 drafts in a row. Probably not good for his ego.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

What I was saying about whether they should trade him now or later relates to theoretical advantages of dangling him in front of QB needy teams prior to the draft versus after those teams may have missed-out on one of the top QB's after the draft has started.

Yes. This is what I wanted to explore. What theoretical advantages are there for either case? Does one weigh more than the other? (Unless they aren't taking Murray, logic would dictate that there must be)

I cannot come up with a reason for either case being 'significantly' stronger. Personally, knowing my draft pick stock beforehand would be preferable, which would support trading him now...which they aren't doing.

EDIT: Earlier, someone said during the draft and he would be a consolation for a team that missed a QB target. Do we think that could cause a panic overvaluation?

Edited by Westside Madness