Trading for Josh Rosen Is the Smartest Move a QB-Needy NFL Team Can Make

1 hour ago, Westside Madness said:

The moment they draft a QB #1 overall, Rosen's trade value drops as teams know they aren't going to keep Rosen. While one could argue that teams will begin bidding on him, if they simply announced his availability now, the bidding would happen either way (assuming he is as coveted as people think). I just cant see the value in waiting if they know they are taking Murray.

I doubt it varies much at all. Announce he is available now everyone knows tour drafting Murray and value could go low. Trade him after Murray is taken and teams could low bid knowing he will now be moved. I think they just dont want to tip their hat so early before the draft by trading him now. Theres going to be bidding for him from teams looking for a starter, and your essentially getting something similar to drafting a guy now in the 1st except he has a year starting experience in the NFL. I wouldnt be surprised to find out they had a deal already worked out that just wont be announced until the pick is made. Also wouldnt be shocked to see them get a late 1st or early second for him.

The Giants make sense because they have a second 1st they could use, and he already has some experience, but can sit behind Eli for the season until they feel he can take over. That team isnt going to be looking for a full tear down rebuild, and having Barkley will help take the pressure off the QB.

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I doubt it varies much at all.

I think they just dont want to tip their hat so early before the draft by trading him now.

I wouldnt be surprised to find out they had a deal already worked out that just wont be announced until the pick is made.

If you don't think it varies, then what 'tipping of the hat' is there?

Especially if they had a deal in place now, why wait? What's the benefit?

If we just don't know why they are doing what they are doing, that's fine, we just have to recognize it. Still looking for tangible benefits for either scenario.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Maybe the Giants should consider this.

My friends and I were talking about this last week.  It wouldn't be a bad idea.  He and Manning have similar styles. Manning would be good to sit behind Eli his first year in NY and take over next year. NY could focus on more weapons on O and their line and RB are already decent. It would allow Rosen to take over with an esttablished running game and a decent Offensive system under the tutelage of Manning.

Edited by aceman_16
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Allen and Mayfield are definitely better and will be more successful.  I am probably one of the few who isnt a Darnold guy.

I wanted Allen over all other QBs but pump the brakes a bit. He didn't do anything last year to say he was definitely better than Rosen. Rosen had an even worse surrounding cast than Allen.  I'm ok with where Allen is and the flashes he has shown. But I'm also a guy that doesn't care about his running stats. I want a pocket passer.

I'm not a Darnold guy either.  He was awful at USC when under pressure. 

5 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Allen and Mayfield are definitely better and will be more successful.  I am probably one of the few who isnt a Darnold guy.

Darnold is a fantastic player...Just look at the tape against the Bills @ Buffalo....He was fantastic.

Lot's of speculation but we really don't even know if they want to trade him.

4 hours ago, DallasMac said:

I think a trade will happen on draft night.  A team will miss out on their guy and Rosen will be the consolation.

Wouldn't Arizona want to trade him (if indeed they do) before the draft to ensure that they aren't stuck with him when they take one 1st overall? If they draft a QB I think Rosen's price tag goes down because teams know that Arizona will be desperate to trade him.

Edited by MJS

33 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I wanted Allen over all other QBs but pump the brakes a bit. He didn't do anything last year to say he was definitely better than Rosen. Rosen had an even worse surrounding cast than Allen.  I'm ok with where Allen is and the flashes he has shown. But I'm also a guy that doesn't care about his running stats. I want a pocket passer.

Allen elevated the play around him.  When he was on the field the whole team played better.  

Rosen, not so much.  Rosen has a personality that turns people off.

12 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Darnold is a fantastic player...Just look at the tape against the Bills @ Buffalo....He was fantastic.

Yup and just look at his game against Miami the week before.  Feels like youre watching Nathan Peterman.

Honestly, when I watch him I think Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

1 hour ago, Westside Madness said:

Yes. This is what I wanted to explore. What theoretical advantages are there for either case? Does one weigh more than the other? (Unless they aren't taking Murray, logic would dictate that there must be)

I cannot come up with a reason for either case being 'significantly' stronger. Personally, knowing my draft pick stock beforehand would be preferable, which would support trading him now...which they aren't doing.

EDIT: Earlier, someone said during the draft and he would be a consolation for a team that missed a QB target. Do we think that could cause a panic overvaluation?

Like I said, it's all theoretical as to whether there is an advantage in terms of draft compensation to trying to trade him now versus after they select Murray.  If I were them I'd do it beforehand so that I could plan my draft better.

36 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I wanted Rosen before the draft because he was supposedly the most pro-ready.  After seeing him play, I didn't see him as being any better than (Right) Josh and Josh's athleticism and personality add extra dimensions to the team.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

It's possible the Cardinals have trade parameters in place for Rosen already but are waiting to pull the trigger until closer to the draft. What if Murray gets in a car accident next week after you've traded Rosen? Then you lose your number one overall pick target and you've lost Rosen too.

Sheesh. You sound like Costanza bombarding Keith Hernandez with his astonishment that a plane crash hasn't taken out an entire baseball team.?

But I agree with the sentiment. The Cardinals would we wise to wait as long as possible to get the best offer.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Iamkrgr said:

Rosen is definitely a good target for a team needing a QB. I'd be getting really worried if a team like the Pat's make a move and have him sit behind TB for a year or 2. 

Lmao!!! What?!?! Rosen is Clausen/Henne/Losman 2.0..... The dude is a dud. I would LOVE for someone in our division to get this loser! Easy 2 games a year until they figure out he is a terrible version of Jay Cutler. 

About 3 weeks ago i did a post saying that AZ needed to draft Murray & trade Rosen to a team like the Giants or the Fins & there was a bunch of fans that said it was stupid , no way they will trade after picking Rosen in the first last year, but given what their new head coach has said in the past i stand by what i said !

If they choose Murray with the 1st pick they can get another first IMHO by trading to a team that is in need of a QB of the future if they don't they wind up in the same position as the Redskins a few years back & have a good back up which ever QB that might be & if nothing else they have some trade bait for future drafts but we all will just have to wait & see what will happen ...

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Lot's of speculation but we really don't even know if they want to trade him.

Wouldn't Arizona want to trade him (if indeed they do) before the draft to ensure that they aren't stuck with him when they take one 1st overall? If they draft a QB I think Rosen's price tag goes down because teams know that Arizona will be desperate to trade him.

It's not a matter of Arizona trading him.  It's the teams that want to trade for him.  They may feel that can get a guy in the draft without giving up extra picks.  And yes it's total speculation whether AZ even wants to trade him.  Id bet they do though and draft Kyler.

Edited by DallasMac

41 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Just had a couple of beers with a buddy who's a dolphin fan and he is pissed with the fitzmagic signing.

He shouldn't be.  BUT ... if the Dolphins are going into the season with Fitz as their guy, then yes - he should be.  If they bring in a rookie, or Rosen, I can't think of a better mentor than Ryan Fitzpatrick.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Realistically, if the price is a 3rd rounder like it's rumored to be, I'd bring him in here.  With Allen's play style, I'm worried about him missing games, Rosen would be on a cheap contract, worst case he's strictly the backup for 2 years and we flip him for something else.

Words can't describe how bad an idea this is......

• Like (+1) 1