Trading for Josh Rosen Is the Smartest Move a QB-Needy NFL Team Can Make

I agree with this article, totally. And yes, I wanted Rosen over Allen.

After one year, I’m only slightly more optimistic that Allen, Darnold or Jackson are more likely to succeed than Rosen, because it’s way too early to pass judgement on any.

I really hope the Fins or Pats don’t strike a deal for him.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

I agree with this article, totally. And yes, I wanted Rosen over Allen.

After one year, I’m only slightly more optimistic that Allen, Darnold or Jackson are more likely to succeed than Rosen, because it’s way too early to pass judgement on any.

I really hope the Fins or Pats don’t strike a deal for him.

Allen and Mayfield are definitely better and will be more successful.  I am probably one of the few who isnt a Darnold guy.

• Like (+1) 6

This is a classic case of what a team should never do-draft a player who fits the coach's system.  I'm talking Murray, not Rosen who is being tossed away like yesterday's garbage.  Drafting a player for a specific system only works as long as the coach is around.  Look at what happened to the guys drafted to fit Rex Ryan's D.  The best example is trading up for Ragland & then giving him away for a 4th in the draft, not even the next draft, but the one a year later.  They would have been better off sticking with Rosen & getting a coach who can adapt to his players instead of wasting the prior year's #1 pick because the coach wants his own guy.  Kingsbury and Murray better work out or years from now the decision to draft Murray & dump Rosen will be looked at as a bad decision by Arizona fans, if there are any left in a few years.  5 years from now odds are Kingsbury is out of the NFL, Murray is playing baseball for the Oakland A's and Rosen is starting for whatever team he was traded to in 2019. 

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

This is a classic case of what a team should never do-draft a player who fits the coach's system.  I'm talking Murray, not Rosen who is being tossed away like yesterday's garbage.  Drafting a player for a specific system only works as long as the coach is around.  Look at what happened to the guys drafted to fit Rex Ryan's D.  The best example is trading up for Ragland & then giving him away for a 4th in the draft, not even the next draft, but the one a year later.  They would have been better off sticking with Rosen & getting a coach who can adapt to his players instead of wasting the prior year's #1 pick because the coach wants his own guy.  Kingsbury and Murray better work out or years from now the decision to draft Murray & dump Rosen will be looked at as a bad decision by Arizona fans, if there are any left in a few years.  5 years from now odds are Kingsbury is out of the NFL, Murray is playing baseball for the Oakland A's and Rosen is starting for whatever team he was traded to in 2019. 

I agree with this 100%.

And to a previous poster's point, I don't think there's any doubt that Josh Rosen would be the hands-down first overall pick if he was in this year's draft.

Maybe the Giants should consider this.

I have to wonder if the turmoil this guy has already had in one season is gonna hurt him long term. Passed over in the draft, still went high with a chip on his shoulder, didn’t have a great rookie season on a complete trash team, now getting shipped away for pennies on the dollar possibly to another bad team where it will be harder to have success early on. This is how kids careers get ruined. I’m not a fan of his, but this is a tough spot to be in. As long as he’s not in our division I would probably cheer him on some if he succeeds 

1 hour ago, DallasMac said:

I think a trade will happen on draft night.  A team will miss out on their guy and Rosen will be the consolation.

This is my guess as well. Hearing that the Cardinals want too much for him right now, but  the price may drop on day on or around day one of the draft.

p.s.  If I were a team with an aging QB or an otherwise QB needy team, I would definitely take a flyer on Rosen, especially if he is available for a 2nd or 3rd. (for the record, I wanted Allen from day one and I do not really like Rosen because I don't believe he has the right temperament to be a successful QB for the long term. But there is enough talent there to take a shot)

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

These rumors are crazy.  Certainly a team wouldn't want to trade the "right Josh".

If he does get traded a WHOOOOOOOLE lot of people around here deserve a virtual posterization.

Edited by Joe in Winslow