Shaq Lawson 5th year option

Shaq Lawson 5th year option  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Should we pick up the 5th year option for Shaq Lawson?

• Yes
    • No

18 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

I'd agree with a reasonable extension.  I feel like we could probably do better than $10M in FA though, no?

I keep seeing people talking about extending him............I don't see how this makes sense for the team or the player.

At this point Shaq is just a rotational DE.........and a strong side DE at that.......which is basically the equivalent of being a RT vs. a LT......that isn't worth much.

If he believes in himself at all he has to think he can get better than that.

And from the Bills perspective can they trust him to focus and be intent on improving so that it warrants paying a premium over his past production?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I keep seeing people talking about extending him............I don't see how this makes sense for the team or the player.

At this point Shaq is just a rotational DE.........and a strong side DE at that.......which is basically the equivalent of being a RT vs. a LT......that isn't worth much.

If he believes in himself at all he has to think he can get better than that.

And from the Bills perspective can they trust him to focus and be intent on improving so that it warrants paying a premium over his past production?

Do you think he considers himself more than a rotational player?  He may be happy where he is.  As for the Bills, they may be happy with his production and effort. Plus he is a known commodity who knows their scheme. For the right price its not a terrible idea.

5 hours ago, WMDman said:

I think he has developed nicely so i personally would pick it up

10 million isn't it

3 hours ago, Forward Progress said:

My first thought was yes, he holds the edge well against the run and fills the rotation well.  I'd like to have him on the team.  However...

When I saw that his option would be in the $12M range, this becomes a cost/value assessment that isn't so easy.  To pay a player, who may be the 50th best at his position the salary of the 13th best at his position is not a recipe for a competitive roster.  It makes sense to either sign another player to take his place or to extend his contract for his market value.  The fifth year option doesn't make sense for a player who hasn't played up to his first round draft status.

this

1 hour ago, Just Joshin' said:

Solid player and with costs going up for one year a good, not great investment.

That said, I would have looked for Houston if the choice was between the two.

because of dollars or skill set ?

5 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

Waiting to see how the draft goes. If a top pass rusher slips  and we grab him, bye Shaq, if not, might as well keep Shaq around.

This is mine -and what I believe the FO’s thinking is. He ain’t bad, but he ain’t great. 

He will be in the 10-12M range if he's given the option, not a chance I'd pick that up. Decline his option and see if it lights a fire, he offers very little as a pass rusher and you can find run stuffers all throughout the draft who will make way less than 10-12M, were already wasting money on Loutelelei imo.

I say yes because he showed improvement last year and I'd like to see if he can continue to do that. He has ample physical attributes that point to success. I just worry that we might sign him to a new deal in 2020 and he'll hit the snooze button like Darius did.

No chance.  By giving him the 5th year option you are announcing to Lawson and his representatives that his baseline worth is north of $9M per season, whih is the value of the 5th year option for a DE selected between pick 11-32.  While some can argue Lawson had a nice year last year and showed some improvement....paying a player like Shaq Lawson $9M a year would be insane.  He's at best an average player, and avg. players can be replaced by players playing for much less than $9M a season.  

If the Bills think Shaq is worth $5-$7M a year they simply can't put the option on him because the player and agent than totally over value their worth.

13 hours ago, Mark92 said:

I don't see Beane doing a fifth year deal.  I think he will try to sign him to new contract before he let's him go.  Bean thinks before he opens the Pegulas wallet.  

Spot on. A bad deal is a bad deal. Just because you have $100 in your wallet, you don’t buy a Big Mac for $25. 

Either work out a new contract or let him walk. Shaq isn’t worth $10 mil a year unless the contract has incentives and escalating clauses built in for playing time and performance. 

Very tricky one. Currently he's nowhere near worth $12 million per (or even $10 million), yet he's become fairly reliable - most of the time he's lost was in his first year, which is also why he is somewhat 'behind the game' in his development.

Last year was a solid year, both in terms of performance, and work ethic, where he showed the coaches and Beane, he was wiling to put the work in. There's a good chance he will improve further this season, to the extent that he could actually 'earn' the option being picked up.

Trouble is, that's purely a projection. I think perhaps the way forward that covers most angles from the Bills pov, is to pick the option up, but also to tell Shaq, that if there's any slacking off, they will drop it just as quick. I'm saying this because I don't believe we've seen the best of the guy yet, and it's the safest way to find out, just not the cheapest.

As it's for a defensive player, I'm way more inclined to trust McDermott''s judgement on this, so if he green lights it, then fair enough.

A couple of additional observations on this, would be that expecting the draft to fill the position, is not really a sensible approach, even though the #9 pick isn't a bad spot to be in, it's not high enough to get a guaranteed difference maker (if any slot is), or at least 'blue chip' prospect.

Also, that while next years cap situation is atm very nice, it would seem that unlike this year, where we had a lot of our own still under contract, next year it's much less so, so a decent chunk of that space will be needed to get guys we want to keep, re-signed. It's not a major issue, imho, but a cautionary note needs to be taken when assuming we will have loads of cash to burn again next off season. We will certainly have enough to make almost any signing we want (one off), but we won't have as much freedom to go out and sign a dozen vets we want to take a chance on. ;)

18 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Agree with this.  But we should not have picked him at #19.  He plays like a guy drafted in the 2nd or 3rd, where he should have been taken.  He's still good depth and/or that ability to be an average to above-average starter, and as you stated, last year was his best, so I'd def exercise the 5th year option.  

I agree with that.  5th year options are only guaranteed for injury so it can be taken off of the table if he regresses. 

19 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I would be on board for 5-7 mil. Can't do 10. 

Jerry Hughes makes $10, so I think your top end is about what he’d be worth at the moment. Let the year play out, and you can always tag him if you really want him. 

12 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Then its a no for me. 

..have to agree bud....decline, let him play it out and test FA.....Bflo could always bring him back at a more palatable number as I doubt there will be big demand/mega bucks offers for him......

• Thank you (+1) 1