Shaq Lawson 5th year option

Shaq Lawson 5th year option  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Should we pick up the 5th year option for Shaq Lawson?

• Yes
    • No

56 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Waiting to see how the draft goes. If a top pass rusher slips  and we grab him, bye Shaq, if not, might as well keep Shaq around.

I voted yes, but this was exactly my thinking as well.  Wait to see what happens in the draft and who might fall to us.  Then make the choice on that 5th year option.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't see Beane doing a fifth year deal.  I think he will try to sign him to new contract before he let's him go.  Bean thinks before he opens the Pegulas wallet.  

Edited by Mark92
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Decision is needed by May 3rd - What say you Two bills drive?!

I voted yes - mostly because cap space isn't at a premium for next year, and you can cancel it for any reason other than injury.

You need to include what that option costs in your poll, title, or post so folks can make a better decision.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Decision is needed by May 3rd - What say you Two bills drive?!

I voted yes - mostly because cap space isn't at a premium for next year, and you can cancel it for any reason other than injury.

I voted yes also . Maybe it can entice him even more to ball out next yr.

My first thought was yes, he holds the edge well against the run and fills the rotation well.  I'd like to have him on the team.  However...

When I saw that his option would be in the $12M range, this becomes a cost/value assessment that isn't so easy.  To pay a player, who may be the 50th best at his position the salary of the 13th best at his position is not a recipe for a competitive roster.  It makes sense to either sign another player to take his place or to extend his contract for his market value.  The fifth year option doesn't make sense for a player who hasn't played up to his first round draft status.

• Like (+1) 1

voted yes as can revoke before next year per below:

For first-rounders picked outside the top 10, the calculation is a little more complicated. These players’ fifth-year option also relies on the previous year’s salaries at the player’s position, but it’s determined by the average of the third through 25th top salaries at that position. So we could come up with estimates for the 2019 option salary for players like Melvin Gordon, Byron Jones, and Trae Waynes, but they’re not set in stone quite yet.

Fifth-year options are guaranteed for injury only between May 3 and the start of the following league year. As such, they’re not entirely risk-free, but as long as the player remains healthy, a team could exercise his fifth-year option, then cut him before his option year gets underway without being on the hook for his salary. When the league year begins, the player’s fifth-year salary becomes guaranteed for skill and cap purposes, as well as injury

19 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You need to include what that option costs in your poll, title, or post so folks can make a better decision.

Can't figure out how to edit it - the amount would be about 12.3 million based on the average of the average annual value of the contracts ranked 3-25 on sportrac.

2 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

I would vote for option 3, work to extend him without exercising the option. Barring that, I would pick up the option. 

I'd agree with a reasonable extension.  I feel like we could probably do better than $10M in FA though, no?

• Like (+1) 1

It's a no.

If he has a breakout year and suddenly turns from rotational LDE into a great player........then you can franchise him and see if he can do it again.

Yeah.......that costs you an extra $5M+ on next years cap..........but if the argument is that they have PLENTY of cap room then why guarantee $10M-$12M and risk him blowing out a knee in December when he could be coming off yet another season where he is giving you performance that on it's own would probably only yield a short term contract in the $2M-$4M AAV range?

The smart play here is to dangle that free agency carrot in front of his face and see if he can focus and raise his game.    

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's a no.

If he has a breakout year and suddenly turns from rotational LDE into a great player........then you can franchise him and see if he can do it again.

Yeah.......that costs you an extra $5M+ on next years cap..........but if the argument is that they have PLENTY of cap room then why guarantee $10M-$12M and risk him blowing out a knee in December when he could be coming off yet another season where he is giving you performance that on it's own would probably only yield a short term contract in the $2M-$4M AAV range?

The smart play here is to dangle that free agency carrot in front of his face and see if he can focus and raise his game.    

I have to think that this is what they'll do. If he has a huge year (not likely), he'll be worth that franchise tag money anyway.

• Like (+1) 1