Shaq Lawson 5th year option

Shaq Lawson 5th year option  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Should we pick up the 5th year option for Shaq Lawson?

• Yes
    • No

Certainly would pick it up for the depth in rotation if nothing else - while he may never live up to his pick, I like the guy and his work ethic on the DL. He's willing to play multiple tech roles and while he hasn't been dominant, he has shown he can at least be effective at each. See how this year goes and since he likely won't command a huge payday, we'll have the additional option to re-sign him if this year goes well.

At least the FO gets to go through the draft before deciding. Wouldn't make sense to pick it up prior to the draft.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

For a 19th overall pick, he shouldn't still be in a developing stage...but last year was his best.

Agree with this.  But we should not have picked him at #19.  He plays like a guy drafted in the 2nd or 3rd, where he should have been taken.  He's still good depth and/or that ability to be an average to above-average starter, and as you stated, last year was his best, so I'd def exercise the 5th year option.  

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Decision is needed by May 3rd - What say you Two bills drive?!

I voted yes - mostly because cap space isn't at a premium for next year, and you can cancel it for any reason other than injury.

Exactly my sentiment.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes, they should pick it up.

He's probably not worth the salary, but given it's only 1 year and we have the cash, I'd do it.

In a cap crunch, I'd say no. But that's not where we are.

12 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

What is the amount for the option?

I've seen 10 million reported.

Pretty torn on this one but I said no.   You ultimately have to pay the guy 12.7 million for that year, 13th highest paid Defensive End in the league, just between Brandon Graham and Dante Fowler.   Cap Room or not if you're not intending on signing him long term you can use the 12.7 and put it towards signing someone like Yannick Ngakoue who is a far superior player.    You'd be better off letting him hit the open market and see if you can bring him back at a lower per year deal if you want him back that bad. 

He has been nothing more than a good rotational player who has missed 25% of his games.  He doesnt have roster value at the 5th round option level.  Pass

Because he wasnt a  top ten pick his option is the average of the 3rd-25th highest paid players at his position.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Pretty torn on this one but I said no.   You ultimately have to pay the guy 12.7 million for that year, 13th highest paid Defensive End in the league, just between Brandon Graham and Dante Fowler.   Cap Room or not if you're not intending on signing him long term you can use the 12.7 and put it towards signing someone like Yannick Ngakoue who is a far superior player.    You'd be better off letting him hit the open market and see if you can bring him back at a lower per year deal if you want him back that bad. 

He has been nothing more than a good rotational player who has missed 25% of his games.  He doesnt have roster value at the 5th round option level.  Pass

Because he wasnt a 1st round pick his option is the average of the 3rd-25th highest paid players at his position.

It's a gamble either way - pick it up and he gets hurt, you're stuck with him.  If you don't pick it up and he has a career year, you have to pay him more.  The 3rd option is pick it up - and if he doesn't get hurt, you have the flexibility to cut him with no cap ramifications, or keep him and pay him the contract.

Lot of different ways this could play out - but assuming we're carrying a healthy amount of space over into 2020 (we have 75 million currently available in 2020 without carrying anything over, and we have 33 currently available in the top 51 that would carry over), I'd be open to the risk I think.  We only have a couple of higher profile free agents in Hughes, Lorax, Phillips, and McCoy - so no major extensions looming for 2020 specifically.  Assuming Lorax/McCoy are gone and replaced with younger players that would just leave Hughes/Phillips as the only real candidates to extend.  

Edited by dneveu

Let's see what happens in the draft first.  But I'm leaning towards yes.

He's clearly an improving player.  We have plenty of cap space again next season, and the option is basically just tacking one season onto his contract.

If he doesn't get any better or declines, we are basically stuck overpaying him for one season.  Not a big deal.