Should the NFL eliminate the onside kick?

I say they make it easier to recover an onside kick instead.  Make the receiving team play 5 more yards off or something. 

Or perhaps they need to try and catch it while greased up.  I kid.  The first one was serious though.  Ha

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Why punish the team that has built a two score lead throughout the majority of the game by making it easier for losing team to make a comeback?

You're looking too much into it. Teams have 2 score leads for majority of the game all the time and then blow them in the final 3 or 4 minutes. How is this any different? Stop the team from scoring and you won't have that problem

10 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

No a surprise onside could still apply with this option but it would eliminate onside kicks in the obvious situations and replace them with a 4th and 15 instead

Maybe I had 1 too many drinks watching March madness, but what?!?

3 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

I need a couple more beverages to figure this out.

The drinks haven't helped me. Good luck.

I really don't care. I think there are far more important aspects of the game to focus on, like increasing the number of things coaches can challenge (crappy calls or non calls from the refs?).

Most of the time the losing team just deserves to lose. Making it easier for them to get another chance is not a priority for me.

10 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Since the onside kick has become a near impossibility for the kicking team to recover, unless it's a surprise onside. They need to put in a rule that eliminates the onside kick and replace it with a 4th and 15. If a team scores they would have the option of kicking the ball off or having a 4th and 15 at their own 35 yard line. If they get the first down the drive keeps going like normal. If they fall short, the other team takes over where they missed from. They can even make it more interesting and make it to where each team only gets two 4th and 15's a game. This would be way better than doing an onside kick which has become nearly impossible for the kicking team to recover. Would anyone be on board with this? It's actually something Steve Tasker said that the NFL Competition committee has had discussions about in the past

So you're down on the scoreboard and you should get an extra offensive play? The offense already has rules advantages they should be able to take advantage of.

"I'm sorry team x but even though you played a better game, we're going to give team y a chance to catch up that they don't deserve".

Edited by Dopey

11 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

No a surprise onside could still apply with this option but it would eliminate onside kicks in the obvious situations and replace them with a 4th and 15 instead

you failed the test

11 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Get rid of kickoffs. Get rid of punting. Get rid of divisions. 16 team conferences with the best 6 records from each going to the playoffs. 

I’m ready for my commissioner’s check now.

And get rid of the pads & just give them all flags on a belt so no one gets hurt !! ?

I say return the kickoff running start back the way it was and keep the onside kick as a viable play.  

I also want to eliminate downing the ball for a touchback.  Every kickoff returned or you lose one point. Tackled in the end zone is a safety, even on kickoffs and punts.  PLAY BALL. 

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

Here's my idea:

Make every NFL player sign a piece of paper that states, "I will not sue the NFL if I am injured while playing, or suffer any long-term negative health-related effects of playing after I exit the league."

Then let them play the ***** game if they so choose.  The way it's supposed to be played.

What about us fans? I’m pretty sure decades of watching the Bills has caused me long term damage, and I’ve signed nothing!

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’d hate to see a move that makes the game get even longer 

Actually, it might make the game shorter. Stop the clock for about 10-15 seconds for the chains to move rather than spiking the ball & huddling up for 30 seconds. An added benefit would be getting rid of that exciting football play - the spike. Sorry, don't mean to hijack this discussion.

14 hours ago, Dopey said:

So you're down on the scoreboard and you should get an extra offensive play? The offense already has rules advantages they should be able to take advantage of.

"I'm sorry team x but even though you played a better game, we're going to give team y a chance to catch up that they don't deserve".

It’s literally the stupidest rule idea ever, yet somehow appeals to those who can’t deal with the fact not every game goes down to the last play.

It’s a little scary to see the first generation raised on smartphones and video games turning into adults.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

It’s literally the stupidest rule idea ever, yet somehow appeals to those who can’t deal with the fact not every game goes down to the last play.

It’s a little scary to see the first generation raised on smartphones and video games turning into adults.

I have read many interesting articles discussing the impact of this generation moving into the workforce!  You know, they've been told they are "special" for their entire lives and been coddled/sheltered by over-protective professional parents their whole lives..and now they are introduced to the real world for the first time. 

It creates problems, for all involved.

On 3/22/2019 at 11:35 AM, Buffalo03 said:

Since the onside kick has become a near impossibility for the kicking team to recover, unless it's a surprise onside. They need to put in a rule that eliminates the onside kick and replace it with a 4th and 15. If a team scores they would have the option of kicking the ball off or having a 4th and 15 at their own 35 yard line. If they get the first down the drive keeps going like normal. If they fall short, the other team takes over where they missed from. They can even make it more interesting and make it to where each team only gets two 4th and 15's a game. This would be way better than doing an onside kick which has become nearly impossible for the kicking team to recover. Would anyone be on board with this? It's actually something Steve Tasker said that the NFL Competition committee has had discussions about in the past

Wow what an original idea, where have i ever seen this?