Should the NFL eliminate the onside kick?

46 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

So just because they are losing they shouldn't get the chance to gain 15 yards on another play? 

There's a difference between putting your kicking team out there and trying to bounce a football correctly and having your team recover it vs. putting your offense on the field and running a set play. 

A team builds a 10 point lead, the other team scores a TD with 20 seconds left, has a 4th and 15 and tries a pass play where there's a BS pass interference or defensive holding, followed by a hail mary.  59 plus minutes of winning overshadowed by some foolishness.

OK, you say, don't let PI or DH calls change things.  Suddenly it's fair game for the defense to do whatever it wants to, if it's necessary to stop the 4th and 15.  

This will be a total mess.  No thanks.  If you're losing at the end of the game, it isn't the end that's to blame, it's the other 59 minutes.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Here's my idea:

Make every NFL player sign a piece of paper that states, "I will not sue the NFL if I am injured while playing, or suffer any long-term negative health-related effects of playing after I exit the league."

Then let them play the ***** game if they so choose.  The way it's supposed to be played.

This

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Here's my idea:

Make every NFL player sign a piece of paper that states, "I will not sue the NFL if I am injured while playing, or suffer any long-term negative health-related effects of playing after I exit the league."

Then let them play the ***** game if they so choose.  The way it's supposed to be played.

Or the NFL can support their workers and spend some of their billions helping them out when they can’t think or move at age 50?  

Edited by nedboy7

Just now, nedboy7 said:

Or the NFL can support their workers and spend some of their billions helping them out when they can’t thinj or move at age 50?  

Absolutely agree.

7 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Just eliminate tackling. Pulling a towel from a waistband will be the new NFL paradigm in about 20 years, with the way things are headed....

Comparing eliminating an onside kick to tackling? I have no words for this

The change of possession after a score needs to be re-evaluated.  The move for saftey has caused the kickoff to the verge of extinction.  Makes the on side kick half as likely as it once was.  It also has completely removed the suprise on side kick.  That play imo won the Saints the superbowl.  Anything involving the offense making 1 play to retain possession becomes to gimmicky and takes away from the game.  Remove the tee and move the kickoff up another 10 yards.  Let the return stand where they want.  Kicking off the ground will limit the hang time and make the play happen quicker.

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m not buying it. 

I'm with you.  I don't link putting, what I would call, and artificial play in the game.  That's like the idiotic overtime rule in college. 

The onside kick-off follows the same rules as a regular kick-off so I am not sure how you outlaw it.  There isn't a special rule for an onside kick that is different than a regular kick

• Like (+1) 2

The purest in me misses the old (now considered unsafe) rules around kick-offs.  I miss the excitement of the kick-off return as it used to be a big play and an impactful part of the game for teams with superstar kick returners.   Kick-offs have simply become a time to hit the washroom, and reload on snacks and drinks because the play is so boring.

On-side kicks have now suffered the same fate with the odds of recovery to low to justify attempting except when there is no other choice.

The Bills fan in me thinks this rule change could benefit us.  We have a big-armed quarterback who gets his yards in big chunks.  A rule-change to the 4th and 15 model would benefit the Bills more than it would a dink-and-dunk team that moves the ball in high-percentage, low yard plays.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Here's my idea:

Make every NFL player sign a piece of paper that states, "I will not sue the NFL if I am injured while playing...

That’s outrageous, egregious, preposterous!

Why not bring back the onside kick, but make the receiver shout “ally ally in free!” upon receiving the ball?   First down for the receiving team at that point.  And before you ‘pooh pooh’ that, remember it would eliminate any chance of the dreaded ‘Music City Miracle’.

6 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Get rid of kickoffs. Get rid of punting. Get rid of divisions. 16 team conferences with the best 6 records from each going to the playoffs. 

I’m ready for my commissioner’s check now.

If the teams were smarter than they are, they'd get rid of a lot of the punting themselves.  Don't need a rule for that.  In fact, it's better the way it is, gives a smart team room for a competitive advantage.  At least for a while.

I like the idea of conferences and the best 6 records advance to the playoffs.  The divisional structure is kind of antiquated.

That move would also greatly help out Buffalo, at least as long as NE remains unbeatable.