NFL committee proposes revamp of instant replay

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26325397/nfl-committee-proposes-revamp-instant-replay

The first proposal would add fouls for pass interference to the list of reviewable plays. The second would include fouls for pass interference but also would add fouls for roughing the passer and unnecessary hits against a defenseless receiver. Importantly, neither would allow review of plays in which no fouls were called, meaning they could not be used in the future to address the kind of controversial missed pass interference call that occurred late in the fourth quarter of the NFC Championship Game.

I feel like every complaint is beyond simple to fix. Allow coaches to challenge anything, boom, problem solved. Inconsistent refereeing? Doesn’t matter, your coach should have challenged it. I would advocate for giving coaches 2 or 3 challenges, total, for the entire game. You don’t get any back if you win 2 of them. Also, there needs to be a time clock on reviewed plays. Something like 2 minutes to review the call. If it isn’t clear after 2 minutes then do what the rule intends, stick with the original call on the field. 

Coaches would have to be careful about what they challenge. Absolutely everything should be reviewable. The phantom PI call on the Bills a few years back comes to mind. I think it was against the Raiders. Their WR slips going over the middle and the Bills get a PI call. Then you have the no call on the Rams against the Saints. It is simply time to allow everything to be challengeable. Let’s be honest, the game moves at a snails pace anyways. Adding an extra 2 minutes for a challenge won’t kill it. 

Edited by Bills2ref
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't see why it should be 100% on the coach.  The league should automatically review plays in the boorh.  No need for the on field refs to look at anything, let a booth ref do it. Pause then game for 30 seconds and let the booth check it out. That's what  college does and the AAF goes even further. 

Leave the coaches challenges for other things the booth won't do automatically. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, peterpan said:

I don't see why it should be 100% on the coach.  The league should automatically review plays in the boorh.  No need for the on field refs to look at anything, let a booth ref do it. Pause then game for 30 seconds and let the booth check it out. That's what  college does and the AAF goes even further. 

Leave the coaches challenges for other things the booth won't do automatically. 

I am of the mindset nothing should be an automatic review. Not within 2 minutes, not scoring plays. Let the coaches challenge anything they think is wrong. The booth shouldn’t get involved unless they are requested to do so. We say “coaches” but thats really a broad term in this sense. The coach is really just the guy throwing the flag. I am sure he has about ten guys upstairs looking at it that tell him to challenge or not. 

Edited by Bills2ref
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

So basically you can undo PI but players can still get away with PI, late hits on QB's and defenseless players?

I am reading this correctly?

So officials will throw the flag on anything borderline, in theory. But still wouldn’t have helped the nfc championship game. It’s like they tried to make it worse not better 

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

So officials will throw the flag on anything borderline, in theory. But still wouldn’t have helped the nfc championship game. It’s like they tried to make it worse not better 

Yea sounds like a way to still screw teams over however they feel like it.  No call, no challenge.  Called against a favored team, reversed.

9 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

So basically you can undo PI but players can still get away with PI, late hits on QB's and defenseless players?

I am reading this correctly?

They already get away with it

reversing a bogus flag is a benefit 

the RTP against Tom could very well have given KC the championship game 

If I read it correct 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Only the NFL.  Literally the dumbest billion-dollar industry in the history of commerce.  They are just so stupid.

Why can't the NFL set up a centralized review operation in NY every week and assign a person to each game?  That person -- an "official" of sorts -- is responsible for watching the game and contacting the officiating crew if something needs to be reviewed/changed?  You don't have to eliminate the coaching challenges but all of this other stuff could be handled "upstairs" -- sort of like the way the NHL "goes to Toronto" for reviews.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

They already get away with it

reversing a bogus flag is a benefit 

the RTP against Tom could very well have given KC the championship game 

If I read it correct 

Even though you are correct that it would have and it wasn't RTP when looking at the replay, I have a hard time imagining them reversing it for him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bills2ref said:

I feel like every complaint is beyond simple to fix. Allow coaches to challenge anything, boom, problem solved. Inconsistent refereeing? Doesn’t matter, your coach should have challenged it. I would advocate for giving coaches 2 or 3 challenges, total, for the entire game. You don’t get any back if you win 2 of them. Also, there needs to be a time clock on reviewed plays. Something like 2 minutes to review the call. If it isn’t clear after 2 minutes then do what the rule intends, stick with the original call on the field. 

Coaches would have to be careful about what they challenge. Absolutely everything should be reviewable, absolutely. The phantom PI call on the Bills a few years back comes to mind. I think it was against the Raiders. Their WR slips going over the middle and the Bills get a PI call. Then you have the no call on the Rams against the Saints. It is simply time to allow everything to be challengeable. Let’s be honest, the game moves at a snails pace anyways. Adding an extra 2 minutes for a challenge won’t kill it. 

39 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

I am of the mindset nothing should be an automatic review. Not within 2 minutes, not scoring plays. Let the coaches challenge anything they think is wrong. The booth shouldn’t get involved unless they are requested to do so. We say “coaches” but thats really a broad term in this sense. The coach is really just the guy throwing the flag. I am sure he has about ten guys upstairs looking at it that tell him to challenge or not. 

This summarizes exactly how I feel about reviews.  It addresses the two biggest compaints:

1.  Reviews take too long...  Not an issue with this proposal, as each coach only has 2 or 3 challenges per game.  

2.  The NFL wants (insert big market team name here) to win....  Not an issue with this proposal.  It is up to the coaching staffs to use their challenges judiciously.  Coaches will be careful not to waste their challenges on calls that don't significantly impact the game.  Instead of complaining about the referees affecting the game, the discussion will be on the coach who didn't challenge or who wasted challenges earlier in the game.

The NFL should just adopt all college rules regarding reviews and overtime.  The games are much more fair.  However, the NFL is married to the 3 hour rule (games should be completed in 3 hours) for TV revenue purpose.  They are willing to let fairness suffer in the interest of revenue.  The sad part is that I do not think viewership would suffer at all, but they do not want to take the risk.  

Yet another awful, horrible rule change idea.

For the marginal benefit of overturning a handful of egregious errors, we’ll get another whole series of plays requiring an interruption to the game, and more inconsistent and capricious interpretation of the rules by the officials, resulting in even more benefit for the NFL marquee teams.

All those reviews still can’t determine if a guy is holding a football yet they are going to determine if a DBs partially blocked arm is pushing against a WR or merely adjacent to his body?  Good luck with that.

4 minutes ago, davspo said:

The NFL should just adopt all college rules regarding reviews and overtime.  The games are much more fair.  However, the NFL is married to the 3 hour rule (games should be completed in 3 hours) for TV revenue purpose.  They are willing to let fairness suffer in the interest of revenue.  The sad part is that I do not think viewership would suffer at all, but they do not want to take the risk.  

The thing is, if the NFL followed their own rules, the games would still be 3 hours or less. If the call doesn’t have conclusive evidence then it is supposed to stand. So why stare at 100 different replays twenty times? If it is that subtle then it should stand. The solution is to put a time limit on officials reviews. 2-3 minutes in my opinion. If you can’t find evidence to overturn in 2-3 minutes the call should be standing anyways. 

Edited by Bills2ref

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26325397/nfl-committee-proposes-revamp-instant-replay

The first proposal would add fouls for pass interference to the list of reviewable plays. The second would include fouls for pass interference but also would add fouls for roughing the passer and unnecessary hits against a defenseless receiver. Importantly, neither would allow review of plays in which no fouls were called, meaning they could not be used in the future to address the kind of controversial missed pass interference call that occurred late in the fourth quarter of the NFC Championship Game.

This rule will work out well for the Patriots. 

• Like (+1) 1