Met Ryan Fitzpatrick briefly at Busch Gardens Yesterday

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

SNY, you actually have to go back to my original post as I state when everything is said and done he will not have accomplished anything of great merit, but he doesn’t have to be ashamed of his career.

125 or 126 is a lot of games, albeit he is about 50-75, but he’ll start more in Miami.  Again he is not great, but man he has played on many bad teams and will end wondering around this league for 15-16 seasons.  

I wouldnt likely give him a second thought if he spent 10 years as a back-up and threw 20 tds in 20 starts, but the guy has accomplished a little more than just yoeman credits in the league.

you don’t fall ass backwards into being on the verge of throwing 200 career tds and you are currently 3 behind the guy who was taken first overall in your draft year, given that you’ve had to fight and be traded to be “the guy” over that period of time for whatever team you’ve played for.

I'm not an alex Smith fan (the guy who was taken first that draft) but your after cherry picking.

Sure he's only a couple of tds behind Smith.

He's also thrown about 150 vs 100 ints and has an int% of 3.5 vs 2.0

I don't think any GM in the league would take Fitz over Smith (prior to the leg injury)

Let's not act like they are comparable QBs.

As for the bad teams he's been on.

2005-rams offense was stacked but he was a rookie

2006-rams saw no playing time the second year

2007-bengals : no playing time first year

2008-bengals : first real playing time, 13 games, 12 starts, after Palmer got hurt. 32 ranked offense in league. 145 passing yards per game, 8 passing TD 9 int, 2 rushing to. Chad Johnson, tj housch, Chris Henry, ced Benson (4-7-1 rec)

2009-buf : to, Lynch, Evans, fredex, Josh Reed, #28-30 offense, and a disaster Coaching staff, 9td 10 int and 142 yards per game (4-4rec)

2010-buf : #28pts #25yds offense, gaily as coach, 13 starts, 23td15ints and 250ypg. Fitz finally shows he's an average qb on paper, overall a so-so season, even with the poor record, but enough to warrant him starting next year I think. The offensive players were average at best. (4-9 rec)

2011-buf : 16 starts. #14 offense. Fitz leash taken off. Almost 4k yards. 23td 24int. Wildly inconsistent. Classic Fitz. (6-10)

2012-buf : #21 pts #19 yards . 3400yds 24td 16int. Decent offensive weapons but nothing special. Fitz in a nutshell. (6-10 again)

2013-ten : 2400 yds 14td 12int . 9 starts in 11 games played. They had a pretty decent offensive cast, including Chris Johnson. 

(3-6 rec)

2014-hou : 12 starts. 2400 yes 17td8int. Oh yeah they had some guys named Arian Foster, Andre Johnson, and DeAndre hopkins. (6-6 rec)

2015-nyj : #11 pts #10 yds offense. #9pts #4yds defense. 16 starts. 3900tds 31td 15int. Chris Ivory, Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker. Really stacked offensive weapons. (10-6)

2016-nyj : back to Earth. 11 starts. #30 pts #26 yds. 2700 yds 12 td 17 int. Lost Decker and Ivory, but still had some weapons, probably above average offensive players. (3-8 rec)

2017-tb : 6 games, 3 starts. 1100 yds 7td 3 int. Stacked receivers Jackson, Evans, humphries, Oj Howard. (2-1 rec)

2018-tb : 8 games 7 starts. 2300 yards 17td 12 int. Evans, Jackson, Howard, humphries, Godwin. Stacked offensive weapons again. (2-5rec)

In 126 career starts he's 50-75-1.

He's had a very good to great receiving group more often than not.

He's wildly inconsistent, up and down, and while the overall teams he's been on haven't been great, the offensive weapons have never been terrible, and more often than not have been very very good.

He's an average QB at best, but not a consistent one.

I'm sure he's a heck of a guy, funny as hell, and he's had a long, profitable, but not great career.

He's not a guy you can count on game in and game out to show up for you at QB.

You literally don't know what you're going to get game to game and drive to drive with him.

38 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If there was a wing for backup QBs in Canton, Fitz would be there next to Frank Reich.

Agreed.

As a starter no.

Backup yes.

Although the starters do seem to get hurt a lot when he's around, so maybe he's not somebody you want to sign as a backup ??

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I'm not an alex Smith fan (the guy who was taken first that draft) but your after cherry picking.

Sure he's only a couple of tds behind Smith.

He's also thrown about 150 vs 100 ints and has an int% of 3.5 vs 2.0

I don't think any GM in the league would take Fitz over Smith (prior to the leg injury)

Let's not act like they are comparable QBs.

As for the bad teams he's been on.

2005-rams offense was stacked but he was a rookie

2006-rams saw no playing time the second year

2007-bengals : no playing time first year

2008-bengals : first real playing time, 13 games, 12 starts, after Palmer got hurt. 32 ranked offense in league. 145 passing yards per game, 8 passing TD 9 int, 2 rushing to. Chad Johnson, tj housch, Chris Henry, ced Benson (4-7-1 rec)

2009-buf : to, Lynch, Evans, fredex, Josh Reed, #28-30 offense, and a disaster Coaching staff, 9td 10 int and 142 yards per game (4-4rec)

2010-buf : #28pts #25yds offense, gaily as coach, 13 starts, 23td15ints and 250ypg. Fitz finally shows he's an average qb on paper, overall a so-so season, even with the poor record, but enough to warrant him starting next year I think. The offensive players were average at best. (4-9 rec)

2011-buf : 16 starts. #14 offense. Fitz leash taken off. Almost 4k yards. 23td 24int. Wildly inconsistent. Classic Fitz. (6-10)

2012-buf : #21 pts #19 yards . 3400yds 24td 16int. Decent offensive weapons but nothing special. Fitz in a nutshell. (6-10 again)

2013-ten : 2400 yds 14td 12int . 9 starts in 11 games played. They had a pretty decent offensive cast, including Chris Johnson. 

(3-6 rec)

2014-hou : 12 starts. 2400 yes 17td8int. Oh yeah they had some guys named Arian Foster, Andre Johnson, and DeAndre hopkins. (6-6 rec)

2015-nyj : #11 pts #10 yds offense. #9pts #4yds defense. 16 starts. 3900tds 31td 15int. Chris Ivory, Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker. Really stacked offensive weapons. (10-6)

2016-nyj : back to Earth. 11 starts. #30 pts #26 yds. 2700 yds 12 td 17 int. Lost Decker and Ivory, but still had some weapons, probably above average offensive players. (3-8 rec)

2017-tb : 6 games, 3 starts. 1100 yds 7td 3 int. Stacked receivers Jackson, Evans, humphries, Oj Howard. (2-1 rec)

2018-tb : 8 games 7 starts. 2300 yards 17td 12 int. Evans, Jackson, Howard, humphries, Godwin. Stacked offensive weapons again. (2-5rec)

In 126 career starts he's 50-75-1.

He's had a very good to great receiving group more often than not.

He's wildly inconsistent, up and down, and while the overall teams he's been on haven't been great, the offensive weapons have never been terrible, and more often than not have been very very good.

He's an average QB at best, but not a consistent one.

I'm sure he's a heck of a guy, funny as hell, and he's had a long, profitable, but not great career.

He's not a guy you can count on game in and game out to show up for you at QB.

You literally don't know what you're going to get game to game and drive to drive with him.

Stand by my original statement or premise:  guy has nothing to be ashamed about during his career.  Especially being a 7th round, Ivy League, qb draft pick that stuck around for 3/4 of a generation and will eventually throw 200 tds.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Stand by my original statement or premise:  guy has nothing to be ashamed about during his career.  Especially being a 7th round, Ivy League, qb draft pick that stuck around for 3/4 of a generation and will eventually throw 200 tds.  

I'm with you there.

I think he's had a good career and delivered a Canton worthy performance during his Fred Jackson roast ?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/21/2019 at 2:03 PM, blacklabel said:

I met him after a minicamp practice that was held at the stadium, lot of players came over to say hi and sign autographs after, himself included. I asked him something like, what made you choose football over using your degree? He said, "I'll make more money doing this." And he sure has.

I think that's an easy answer people understand

I think there's more to it than that. 

I think the guy truly loves football and loves to play football.  He's a gamer. 

The guy has an estimated net worth of $24 million at this point.  That's more than enough to get richer without getting slammed to the concrete 300-400 times a year

• Like (+1) 4

31 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I'm with you there.

I think he's had a good career and delivered a Canton worthy performance during his Fred Jackson roast ?

Actually, SNY, thank you as that made me think of something.

Freddie did nothing of any great merit in the nfl either, nor did he lead a team to the playoffs, and obviously he never won a SB.

However, I really love the guy and I have fond football memories of him.

For me it is the same way I feel about Fitz, although the feeling is stronger for someone like Freddie.

and I am sorry if I gave the impression that Ryan should be with the nfl greats.  That wasn’t my intent, and he shouldn’t be thought of that way.  Just that there is a reason that he shouldn’t be so marginalized sometimes.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/22/2019 at 8:29 AM, dollars 2 donuts said:

Absolutely and the documentary on that game is pretty good.  However, his success didn't come from playing football.

I know, but I still think it's a pretty cool.  I'm a big Tommy Lee fan.

• Like (+1) 1

His wife and kids must be pretty patient people too.   

Sure....Dad's knocking out a $50M career but man do we move a lot and holy cow is he never home from August to January.    

Wonder if in his deal we was able to keep his home in Tampa and get use of the company jets to pop him back and forth from Miami during the season.  It like a 4 hour drive without traffic.   At least get the old timer an RV with a driver so he can crash out and recharge on the commute.

On 3/21/2019 at 2:57 PM, dollars 2 donuts said:

In the most critical position in all of sports he will likely never accomplishing anything of great merit.  However, he will likely walk away, let's say at the end of 2020, in the top 35 in NFL history for both passing yards and TD passes, while also pulling in about $70 million dollars.  

That works.  For him and his family...yep, that works.  Of course he is not great, but there is nothing for this guy to be ashamed of in his career.

EDIT:  and as others have stated it may have been a mistake for the Dolphins to sign him as he may win too man games.  For a team that is is likely gunning for first overall next year he may end up winning them 5.

He is one of the top 35 QB's in the world though and that will get you paid!

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

His wife and kids must be pretty patient people too.   

Sure....Dad's knocking out a $50M career but man do we move a lot and holy cow is he never home from August to January.    

Wonder if in his deal we was able to keep his home in Tampa and get use of the company jets to pop him back and forth from Miami during the season.  It like a 4 hour drive without traffic.   At least get the old timer an RV with a driver so he can crash out and recharge on the commute.

Phillip Rivers chose to do just that - he outfitted a van or SUV into a "QBmobile" equipped with everything he needed for film study to drive back and forth from San Diego, as it made more sense to keep their kids in their schools and keep their current home than to disrupt them with a move to LA.  I think his backup QB also stayed in SD so they did the commute together.

I don't think Fitz is in the same situation for having the team give him dispensations, but he could easily buy his own Filmmobile and hire his own driver if that worked out better for him.  His kids are getting to the point where it's harder for them to move between schools and sports teams and such.

I think they have a permanent home in Arizona.