Met Ryan Fitzpatrick briefly at Busch Gardens Yesterday

2 hours ago, technobot said:

Do I think he's even in the second tier for starters? Probably not, but it does make you wonder how he would have fared on a good team with a decent O-line, a stout defense, and quality receivers. But agree with the sentiment he's probably best suited as a backup, and the results are expected if you start a typical backup for most of the year.

Fitz did have Bruce and Holt in St Louis but the Rams were fading by then. He also had Chad Johnson and Houshmanzadeh in Cincy but overall the team wasn't any good.  I remember when he replaced an injured Palmer, as a friend had Housh on his fantasy team and he complained the rest of the season because with Fitz at QB, Housh did nothing.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

He will have his great 4 game stretch to start the season as usual before it all starts going downhill and he gets benched and/or replaced.

Media talking heads will be talking him up as usual like this isn't what normslly happens...then when he ends up coming back to earth they will wonder what happened.

I just hope he doesn’t play the Bills during that great 4 game stretch!

3 hours ago, JoeF said:

I will be rooting for the Dolphins every week but 2 weeks....and I truly hate the Dolphins

Will be rooting hard for them 4 weeks hard against them 2 weeks and the other 12 I want them to loose at least 8. 

...HOPE I remember the chronology correctly (probably not)...after stops with the Rams & Bungles, Fitzy was signed as the non-threatening, journeyman backup QB to Bflo's anointed starter & franchise savior, Spent Trent Edwards......Fitzy is STILL tickin' and Spent Trent is sellin' igloos in Nogales....after his big extension, Brandon wanted to renegotiate to "backup money" going forward and Fitzy said, "I'll find starter money somewhere" which he certainly did....

He'll forever be a big part of beating the patriots in week 3 of 2011, and for that I will always love him and root for him when he's not playing Buffalo. I mentioned in another thread a while back that I wish we had gotten him as a backup rather than Anderson. I know he was starting for Tampa, so it probably wasn't possible, but he is all buffalo from top to bottom and I believe he could've helped Allen's development 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Fitz is a gamer.  He plays all out every game.  How could anyone not respect that.  He's not the best QB in the league for sure, but he's had some spectacular moments and games.  And at least he plays the game without fear.  He's not a typical average QB that flames out being all conservative, check downish, and never goes for it.  Fitz lights it up.  Flails.  And then burns out.  Every single year.  

I'll take that over a Trent Edwards type QB any day. of the week  On many days, Fitz was worth the ticket price paid.  He also broke our hearts many times.  

Here's to you Fitz.  Your career is fascinating......you are the modern day "Jason" and just keep surviving.

Edited by Lv-Bills

5 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

In the most critical position in all of sports he will likely never accomplishing anything of great merit.  However, he will likely walk away, let's say at the end of 2020, in the top 35 in NFL history for both passing yards and TD passes, while also pulling in about $70 million dollars.  

That works.  For him and his family...yep, that works.  Of course he is not great, but there is nothing for this guy to be ashamed of in his career.

EDIT:  and as others have stated it may have been a mistake for the Dolphins to sign him as he may win too man games.  For a team that is is likely gunning for first overall next year he may end up winning them 5.

Being in the top 35 in the history of the sport at the most critical position is now consistent with "never accomplishing anything of great merit"?

This place can be really messed up...

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

You know, Albany, I never thought about this before and I obviously haven't looked anything up, but I wonder if he is the most successful Harvard athletic Alum, ever?  Successful with respect to the sport an individual plays, I mean.  Not like someone who played baseball for a year and then hit it big on something else.

I just don't know anything about their sports history.

I have no idea what kind of money he's made, but FWIW Tommy Lee Jones (Al Gore's roommate) played running back for Harvard.  He was in the famous "Harvard Wins 29-29" game against Yale.

I know, he "hit it big on something else," but still...

Edited by Ennjay
  • Like (+1) 1

Sux he is playing for the fish, now he needs to play for the Pats to complete the division.

Wish he was good enough to be truly successful in the league but he seems to be good for 3-5 games and then pix magic happens.Maybe he should just come off the bench every game so he is not to prepared to play :lol:

12 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...after his big extension, Brandon wanted to renegotiate to "backup money" going forward and Fitzy said, "I'll find starter money somewhere" which he certainly did....

Fitz:  Still earning the big bucks.

Brandon:  Shuffling bolts of cloth in Napoli’s stockroom.  Don’t even bother to see if he has a telephone extension.

15 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know this isn't likely, BL, and I know he probably has a lot of successful classmates from Harvard...but I love thinking about some of them who may have laughed at him and thought that he maybe wasted his education.

...yeah, $58 million by the age of 36 is pretty darn good, regardless of your career choice.

I still love a great line of his from a press conference, I believe when he was with us, he said something like: “I’ve picked the only career in the world where a degree from Harvard is viewed as a negative thing.”

Fitz rules. 

15 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

You know, Albany, I never thought about this before and I obviously haven't looked anything up, but I wonder if he is the most successful Harvard athletic Alum, ever?  Successful with respect to the sport an individual plays, I mean.  Not like someone who played baseball for a year and then hit it big on something else.

I just don't know anything about their sports history.

Depends if you're talking about money or athletic success, IMHO.

Matt Birk was a better player, w/ 6 Pro Bowls and 2 All Pros. Dick Button had two Olympic golds in figure skating.

Thought I remembered an old Raider, but a quick look doesn't turn anyone up. 

W/ money, probably Fitzy or Lin, but that's just a reflection of the salary inflation in sports in recent years.

Edited by Thurman#1