Slavery Reparations V.2 - A Worthy Discussion

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Didn't Japanese Internment Camp survivors get reparations at one point?

The key word there is survivors. I’d be fine with former slave owners being required to pay their former slaves back wages for the time of their servitude. The problem is none of those people are alive today. 

• Like (+1) 2

I guess making amends for past wrongs could include fashioning social support programs such as welfare, food stamps, WIC, cell phone accessibility, etc. for target  groups.  Seems like a lot of those things are in place, and many more are on the drawing board.  Such programs appear more effective than cash handouts, but we appear to have covered that base too, so....?

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Didn't Japanese Internment Camp survivors get reparations at one point?

Yes but those were paid to those who were interred, not their descendants

And as shameful as the Japanese Internment Camps were, they weren't forced labor or extermination camps.  Calling the Japanese who were forced there "survivors" is a bit melodramatic.

My family are all Italian immigrants. We were not here during slavery. Why would I pay for something done over 100 years ago, when none of my ancestors were involved? Give me a break! The Democratic Party has become a PT Barnum circus. If you watch The Greatest Showman movie you’ll know all that’s level is to recruit the Dog Boy and Bearded Lady.

21 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

My family are all Italian immigrants. We were not here during slavery. Why would I pay for something done over 100 years ago, when none of my ancestors were involved? Give me a break! The Democratic Party has become a PT Barnum circus. If you watch The Greatest Showman movie you’ll know all that’s level is to recruit the Dog Boy and Bearded Lady.

Once they named an offspring Derek your family ceased being Italian.  Pay up.

• Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

So what you're saying is that your ancestors colluded to bring slaves into the country?!?

they scouted the territory for prime area to bring slaves to

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

They would argue that you and your family benefitted from the fruits of slavery.

22 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

So what you're saying is that your ancestors colluded to bring slaves into the country?!?

I was going to edit my prior post because I may have left the impression that there were no slaves here prior to my ancestors arrival. There were no black slaves here but plenty of Native American slaves held by various tribes. Now, I've had this nagging question that's been heavy on my heart. Were the actual slave auctioneers evil? Asking for a friend.