Slavery Reparations V.2 - A Worthy Discussion

I have been tasked (hey by Tasker...I made a funny and didn't even mean to) with starting this thread. This is a topic that some Dems are actually floating out there as a 2020 campaign platform plank.  There are so many things wrong with this idea and no one ever asks the simple questions to politicians when the talk about this stuff.  So here are my questions.

1.  How will we determine who get's reparations and why?

2.  What about a family who moved here from somewhere else in the last 150 years years who had no ancestors who were slaves?

3.  At what point in time were blacks no longer affected by racial discrimination that can be traced back to slavery?

4.  What type of slippery slope is this and who will be next to hold their hand out?

5.  Why am I being punished for something my ancestors did?  And I'm not just talking about slavery here.  

6.  Just because they suffer from white guilt why should I have to pay?

7.  And my favorite all-time question....................WHY?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is a non-starter, and should be opposed by any and all freedom loving individuals.

Nearly every person alive today is a descended from a serf or slave.  All of us.

American slavery was not unique. 

Slavery is the historical human norm, as only for the last few hundred years has the concept of human freedom taken hold.

The whole concept of freedom was only allowed to be forwarded because of economic and technological improvements which slowly lessened the necessity of slavery. 

Further, you cannot move forward by punishing white citizens of today for the actions of their ancestors, or in many cases, white people who themselves descend from indentured servants, or who arrived here after slavery was ended as an institution.

How can you justify stealing the labor of some people, with no due process, who have committed no crime, and giving the fruits of that labor to someone who did not earn it as recompense for the exact same thing happening to another group of people???

The modern tragedy of American slavery is that there is no just way to unwind it.  You cannot un-ring the bell, and it is a massive moral wrong to punish people for a crime they did not commit themselves.

• Like (+1) 7

26 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

They are only rich because of two things.

1. They are uncle Tom's

2.  They didn't build that wealth........

Thank you for starting this thread. I think for the integrity of PPP every thread started by the person who laughs at death, but laughs even harder at American deaths, should be usurped by a poster that will not change its title to hide his embarrassing posts. Make it our own "Walkaway Movement".

As a chef, I liked your point about "stewing" over this in that POS shunned thread.

As far as fairness goes, shouldn't descendants of black slave owners be required to not only pay their fair share of reparations, but kick in for punitive damages of some multiple for their subjugation of their people?

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

I have been tasked (hey by Tasker...I made a funny and didn't even mean to) with starting this thread. This is a topic that some Dems are actually floating out there as a 2020 campaign platform plank.  There are so many things wrong with this idea and no one ever asks the simple questions to politicians when the talk about this stuff.  So here are my questions.

1.  How will we determine who get's reparations and why?

2.  What about a family who moved here from somewhere else in the last 150 years years who had no ancestors who were slaves?

3.  At what point in time were blacks no longer affected by racial discrimination that can be traced back to slavery?

4.  What type of slippery slope is this and who will be next to hold their hand out?

5.  Why am I being punished for something my ancestors did?  And I'm not just talking about slavery here.  

6.  Just because they suffer from white guilt why should I have to pay?

7.  And my favorite all-time question....................WHY?

I shall take a stab at this:

1.) Democrats do. Why? To buy votes, of course.

2.) They were still oppressed by the racist remnants of slavery/Jim Crow.

3.) Blacks shall always be affected by racial discrimination that can be traced back to slavery. There should be reparations paid every 4 years. See #1, above.

4.) Native Americans, for the whole 'attempted genocide' thing in the 1800s. Asians and Latinos can wait their turns.

5.) Because you're a white devil, you cracker.

6.) Because you're a white devil, you cracker.

7.) Because you're a white devil, you cracker-ass mother *****!

Only your money can alleviate the white guilt of the Democrat elite.

Edited by Koko78

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

This is a non-starter, and should be opposed by any and all freedom loving individuals.

Nearly every person alive today is a descended from a serf or slave.  All of us.

American slavery was not unique. 

Slavery is the historical human norm, as only for the last few hundred years has the concept of human freedom taken hold.

The whole concept of freedom was only allowed to be forwarded because of economic and technological improvements which slowly lessened the necessity of slavery. 

Further, you cannot move forward by punishing white citizens of today for the actions of their ancestors, or in many cases, white people who themselves descend from indentured servants, or who arrived here after slavery was ended as an institution.

How can you justify stealing the labor of some people, with no due process, who have committed no crime, and giving the fruits of that labor to someone who did not earn it as recompense for the exact same thing happening to another group of people???

The modern tragedy of American slavery is that there is no just way to unwind it.  You cannot un-ring the bell, and it is a massive moral wrong to punish people for a crime they did not commit themselves.

Playing devil's advocate.  I think we can all agree that it's not so much the slavery that has help blacks back in this country.  They had been treated as second class citizens long after slavery was abolished.  I think this is the crux of the problem not slavery.  So let me add to my list of questions.

8.  What are those that get the reparations expected to do with the money to make their lives better?  How will this money help?  How can we follow up on this

9.  Here's a big one.  What about the black people that have not yet been born yet?  This, if legally challenged,  could go into perpetuity.  

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Playing devil's advocate.  I think we can all agree that it's not so much the slavery that has help blacks back in this country.  They had been treated as second class citizens long after slavery was abolished.  I think this is the crux of the problem not slavery.  So let me add to my list of questions.

8.  What are those that get the reparations expected to do with the money to make their lives better?  How will this money help?  How can we follow up on this

9.  Here's a big one.  What about the black people that have not yet been born yet?  This, if legally challenged,  could go into perpetuity.  

I would argue that the only thing holding black Americans back today are the remnants of Johnson's Great Society, which imposes on them the soft slavery of dependence, which I believe to be the hardest chain to break as it is self imposed, and requires one to modify their self-identity in order to escape.

To play along with your questions:

-  Look to the Indian reservations, and those Natives receiving direct funds from the government.  Their poverty rate is actually even higher than that of black Americans (29.1% as opposed to 27.4% according to the 2010 census); and there is no way to control what it gets spent on, as any attempt to do so would be viewed as an additional form of servitude in which white people have determined that they will decide how black must spend their money.

-  This is absolutely a major consideration. 

• Like (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Only your money can alleviate the white guilt of the Democrat elite.

Obviously the politicians don’t give a whit about black people, but sadly and incomprehensibly, this is what they have been able to sell to ordinary people.  

Now granted I live in the looney capital of the US, but I actually know people bought into this “am I really being not-racist enough” and “how do I deal with my white privilege” nonsense.  It’s incredible.

I agree with the concept of reparations in principle, but do not accept any sort of philosophy or claim of collective racial guilt.

Therefore, I willingly and freely offer to pay reparations to all slaves I have owned.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

Obviously the politicians don’t give a whit about black people, but sadly and incomprehensibly, this is what they have been able to sell to ordinary people.  

Now granted I live in the looney capital of the US, but I actually know people bought into this “am I really being not-racist enough” and “how do I deal with my white privilege” nonsense.  It’s incredible.

My wife wanted to go see Captain Marvel last weekend.  I told her she could, but I couldn't see it because as a man I would be exercising my patriarchal privilege by culturally appropriating a feminist's experience, which would not only make me misogynistic but, by intersectionality, racist and homophobic as well.

The look I got from her was an indescribable mix of anger, pity, confusion, and disbelief.  

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I fully support an immediate payment of $10 million dollars to every living person who was a slave under the laws of the United States.

This doesn't go far enough.

It should be that amount paid every year to each of those liberated from slavery.

Of course, our esteemed former POTUS B. O. would not be eligible. He's the son of a Nigerian that never was a slave. 

Bill Clinton wouldn't be either. 

14 minutes ago, Nanker said:

This doesn't go far enough.

It should be that amount paid every year to each of those liberated from slavery.

Of course, our esteemed former POTUS B. O. would not be eligible. He's the son of a Nigerian that never was a slave. 

Bill Clinton wouldn't be either. 

Now wait just a damn minute here. Obama has always been a slave to his own ego and Clinton is just as bad a slave to his desires.