Andre Dillard at #9?

At #9?! I think he's a late 1st round pick... maybe. I saw that mock at nfl.com that had us taking him at 9 with BOTH Ed Oliver and TJ Hockenson still on the board. I'd throw a fit if that happened! I want to stay at 9 and get a game changer and I read several draft profiles on Dillard that had a long list of weaknesses. Chief among them was his run blocking. His bench press at the combine was a real red flag too.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

At #9?! I think he's a late 1st round pick... maybe. I saw that mock at nfl.com that had us taking him at 9 with BOTH Ed Oliver and TJ Hockenson still on the board. I'd throw a fit if that happened! I want to stay at 9 and get a game changer and I read several draft profiles on Dillard that had a long list of weaknesses. Chief among them was his run blocking. His bench press at the combine was a real red flag too.

Is Jawaan Taylor's bench press at the combine also a real red flag? Because he and Dillard did the same, 24.

8 minutes ago, EricScott said:

Is Jawaan Taylor's bench press at the combine also a real red flag? Because he and Dillard did the same, 24.

It's not as much of a red flag for Taylor because Dillard has short arms. Also Taylor shows a ton of power in his game on film, where Dillard does not. His bench should be better. His arms are shorter than Jonah Williams, who everyone is calling T Rex. Also Dillard's three cone is not as good as Dion Dawkins, who happens to have much longer arms, and everyone wants to make a guard for some reason. 

Dillard is Jake Fisher. Look at their combine numbers. Again a finesse, spread tackle with short arms. All pretty much the same, except Fisher had an elite three cone time, and has longer arms. 

On 3/21/2019 at 9:15 AM, Bangarang said:

First tell me who the first 8 picks were.

Ok here's my best guess:

Arizona - Kyler Murray

San Francisco. -  Nick Bosa

NY Jets - Quinnen Williams

Oakland - Josh White

Washington - Dwayne Haskins - Trade up with Tampa

NY Giants - Jonah Williams

Jacksonville - Jawaan Taylor

Detroit - Devin White

Buffalo - 

I'd look first for trade down, if nothing comes up, I'd draft TJ Hockenson

18 hours ago, XABI64 said:

Id much rather have an OT than a DT. DT is not an important position in the NFL as it once was. 

Protecting Josh Allen is 100x more important and its worth investing in. 

Completely disagree. The position keeps evolving as do all of them. Pass rush up the middle is just as important as it is from the edge. Pass rushing 3techs can still destroy a game plan. Ask the Rams how they feel about the DT position. A penetrating DT can be more distruptive than an edge player, especially a guy with an explosive player like Oliver. 

Edited by Buffalo30

7 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Ok here's my best guess:

Arizona - Kyler Murray

San Francisco. -  Nick Bosa

NY Jets - Quinnen Williams

Oakland - Josh White

Washington - Dwayne Haskins - Trade up with Tampa

NY Giants - Jonah Williams

Jacksonville - Jawaan Taylor

Detroit - Devin White

Buffalo - 

I'd look first for trade down, if nothing comes up, I'd draft TJ Hockenson

lol TJ Hockenson isn’t going top 10. I’d even be surprised if he went in the top half of the first round.

Im also assuming you had a typo and meant Josh Allen going to Oakland?

if that’s how the top 8 go then I go with Oliver. 

Just now, Bangarang said:

lol TJ Hockenson isn’t going top 10. I’d even be surprised if he went in the top half of the first round.

Im also assuming you had a typo and meant Josh Allen going to Oakland?

if that’s how the top 8 go then I go with Oliver. 

Yes, correct, Josh Allen to Oakland

Let's assume George Kittle or Travis Kelce were available with the 9th pick.  My guess is you would sprint to the podium with the card.

My guess is a Kelce/Gronk mix, great in-line blocker, 55 catch, 750 yard, 8 TD guy for 10 years.  Is that worth the 9th pick in the draft?

54 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Yes, correct, Josh Allen to Oakland

Let's assume George Kittle or Travis Kelce were available with the 9th pick.  My guess is you would sprint to the podium with the card.

My guess is a Kelce/Gronk mix, great in-line blocker, 55 catch, 750 yard, 8 TD guy for 10 years.  Is that worth the 9th pick in the draft?

If Hock were guaranteed to do that, he probably wouldn't make it out of the top-5.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2019 at 7:45 AM, Binghamton Beast said:

Since 2007, the Bills have made 12 first round picks. All but 1 (Josh Allen) have been from colleges in the Eastern Time Zone.It could be argued high rated QB’s are the easiest to scout.

Coincidence concerning those other 11 picks?

Maybe, maybe not.

Just something to think about.

Cool observation. The SEC is mostly in the Eastern time zone. The PAC12 has been a down conference for years.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

This number is a bit misleading based on the offense that Washington State runs. To me the Risner and Bradbury numbers are impressive. But PFF stuff is not really meaningful when it comes to offensive line. You have to look at all of the factors. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2018-prospect-preview-is-wsu-g-cody-oconnell-the-best-pass-blocker-in-the-nation

This is PFF's article that touted former WSU OL Cody O'Connell as the best pass blocking linemen in the country. He graded a 93.1. This is the same guy who wasn't even good enough to make a practice squad. That's how meaningful these numbers are. Dillard may be athletic, but he has short arms and played in a offense that hid any deficiencies in his game. It's a trap. To me he is not a first round pick. 

From the article, eerily similar to what they are saying about Dillard. Obviously, Dillard is the better prospect. But don't be mislead by PFF numbers that don't tell the whole story.  

• O’Connell will always have question marks about is run blocking ability coming from the pass-first Washington State offense. Although he did produce the third-highest percentage of positively-graded blocks in the run game, he gave up the 26th highest percentage of negatively-graded run blocks in the draft class too.

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This number is a bit misleading based on the offense that Washington State runs. To me the Risner and Bradbury numbers are impressive. But PFF stuff is not really meaningful when it comes to offensive line. You have to look at all of the factors. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2018-prospect-preview-is-wsu-g-cody-oconnell-the-best-pass-blocker-in-the-nation

This is PFF's article that touted former WSU OL Cody O'Connell as the best pass blocking linemen in the country. He graded a 93.1. This is the same guy who wasn't even good enough to make a practice squad. That's how meaningful these numbers are. Dillard may be athletic, but he has short arms and played in a offense that hid any deficiencies in his game. It's a trap. To me he is not a first round pick. 

From the article, eerily similar to what they are saying about Dillard. Obviously, Dillard is the better prospect. But don't be mislead by PFF numbers that don't tell the whole story.  

• O’Connell will always have question marks about is run blocking ability coming from the pass-first Washington State offense. Although he did produce the third-highest percentage of positively-graded blocks in the run game, he gave up the 26th highest percentage of negatively-graded run blocks in the draft class too.

O'Connell's problem from what I can see is that he's almost 6'9" and you can't be anywhere near that tall as an OG.  He's (apparently) not an OT so he was basically a man without a position in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

O'Connell's problem from what I can see is that he's almost 6'9" and you can't be anywhere near that tall as an OG.  He's (apparently) not an OT so he was basically a man without a position in the NFL.

Definitely, Dillard is a much better prospect, but their college pass blocking grades were both super high. My point is that that PFF number on Dillard means very little if anything. It's a system produced number.