Andre Dillard at #9?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Too early for him and I'm not sure the Bills are a scheme fit anyway. I think he is a fit in a quick strike rhythm passing offense.

Agree. I think he is a very specific scheme fit. He has good, quick feet out of his stance and decent hand placement but he just doesn't have the core physical strength to dominate in the run game or to hold blocks for longer developing downfield pass plays.

If I am taking a OT I want it to be either Jawann Taylor or Cody Ford (who I know is projected to guard....I just think he is a beast)

I think there is a very low probability of Dillard being chosen by us at 9.  I do think he is a guy that could be a target of Beanes, just not at 9.  

I also dont think its that likely Beane takes an OL at 9 either.  He signed 5 OL already and he did that do he didnt have to take a tackle at 9.  

There are 2 things Beane has gone after and not achieved this offseason so far...Pass Rusher and a big time playmaker for the offense.  I think the pick at 9 will probably be a trade down personally.  But whether we trade down or not, I think the first Bills pick is going to be EDGE, TE, or WR.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:43 PM, VADC Bills said:

Totally agree. With all of the emphasis on offense we had in had free agency and rightly so, people tend to forget how mediocre our defense was even though we had good stats.

We were picked apart by Tannehill and Darnold. With Kyle gone we need to firm up the line and need more on the edge. We can't totally ignore these areas. I could be very happy with Dillard if it means getting Oliver as well.

i think the pass rush problem is in large part on frazier....and mcd.  we were 21st in hits and 26th in sacks...iirc.  we need to blitz and stunt more. every time he sent bush or neal....SACK.  tremaine and milano help from their spots, but mcfrazier is gonna have to update to 2019 if we're gonna gain any ground.

Edited by billsredneck1

There’s a reason why Mike Leach teams are always atop the NCAA in passing yards - and last season was no exception.  Leach insists that it starts and ends with the offensive line.

Dillard’s name has always been in the conversation about the top OTs in this draft.  He just doesn’t get as much press and hype as the the 2 SEC guys, Williams and Taylor.

Dunno if he’s a #9 pick or not - In Beane I Trust

6 minutes ago, XABI64 said:

Id much rather have an OT than a DT. DT is not an important position in the NFL as it once was. 

Protecting Josh Allen is 100x more important and its worth investing in. 

They've signed a slew of OL and still need someone to replace what they lost in Kyle.  Plus McD is a defensive coach.

On 3/21/2019 at 1:37 PM, TigerJ said:

Dillard is a pure tackle with the athleticism to be a left tackle.  He's not a super physical guy, and could stand to get stronger.  He's also not been much of a mauler in the run game.  He's more of a finesse tackle if the truth be known.  I think if you draft him, it's with the idea that you're going to plug him in at LT and move Dawkins to guard.  Jonah Williams is an outstanding technician, but he's also not terribly physical .  Unlike Dillard, he doesn't have really elite athleticism.  Like Dillard he's not real strong.  Taylor is a big mauler with enough athleticism for right tackle.  Run blocking is his strength.  I think Jonah Williams will be better at guard.  Taylor can play guard or right tackle.  I think there are other outstanding guards (Lindstrom, so I wouldn't use #9 to pick J Williams.  Given the signing of Nsekhe and Waddle, I'm more inclined to go defense at #9, since the value might be better there anyway.

You did not describe the #9 pick.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:24 AM, peterpan said:

Why would we trade Glenn for basically a 2nd round pick only to take a T at 9.?

I ask that question to point out that....I think Bean and Co are happy with Dawkins as the LT

They just added two FA tackles.  No one is safe.  Not even Dawkins.  As Billy told Prince in Purple Rain,  "You better bring it tomorrow night, Kid, or else."

On 3/21/2019 at 11:52 AM, TroutDog said:

I’d prefer the T from Bama or Florida if that’s where we’re going with the pick. Both are more polished. 

Agree Jonah Willams is more polished but in terms of technique, Andre Dillard is more polished than Jawaan Taylor. Personally,

I would take any one of them! But I still think we’re going DL with the first pick.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:06 PM, EricScott said:

My argument is that a player who has demonstrated in every conceivable way that he is the best pass protector at a position that is generally regarded as one of the two or three most important positions in football would be more valuable than getting a right tackle that might be only marginally better (and is fairly likely to be gone anyway). We have a young QB who needs protecting, and I'm not all that confident that Dawkins will somehow rebound and become the player we need him to be at LT moving forward. I have more confidence that he can become an above-average guard than an above-average LT. And right tackle is a position more easily filled.

WE have been trying to fill that position (RT) for the past two decades !!!!!

1 hour ago, Just Joshin' said:

You did not describe the #9 pick.

You're right.  The thread is about an offensive tackle, so I stayed on that side of the LOS.  If I'm going to talk about the Bills' pick, I don't have a particular horse in the race, but I think the odds somewhat favor a defensive pick.  I think it will be from among Ed Oliver, Christian Wilkins, Sweat and Burns.  There is still a possibility of a free agent signing that will affect the actual choice.  Signing Ziggy Ansah shifts the odds toward a DT.   In the unlikely event they sign Mohammed Wilkerson, the odds shift toward an edge rusher

He doesn't look like a top tackle prospect to me.  I dont see any of the top rated lineman in this class as upgrades over Dawkins.  If they are not the best guy available and are not a significant upgrade at the position why do it?

1 hour ago, End The Drought said:

Agree Jonah Willams is more polished but in terms of technique, Andre Dillard is more polished than Jawaan Taylor. Personally,

I would take any one of them! But I still think we’re going DL with the first pick.

No argument here. I believe you’re correct. Time will tell. 

What I want is what Beane wants: I trust him. ? 

I think that Dillard should really be a consideration.  If they think that he can become a good run blocker and get stronger, then an outstanding pass-blocker warrants attention there.

i think that Oliver may not be thought of as highly among NFL teams as his early draft projections suggested.  He is very undersized and did not play at the highest level of competition.

i can't see Jonah Williams as a strong contender for the pick, but I could see them being high on Jawaan Taylor's power and athletic ability for is size at RT.  I do strongly believe that the Bills want to be a run heavy O early in Allen's career.

27 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

He doesn't look like a top tackle prospect to me.  I dont see any of the top rated lineman in this class as upgrades over Dawkins.  If they are not the best guy available and are not a significant upgrade at the position why do it?

Have a look at Dillard's "tape" - he is a ready-made pass protector who lacks experience and some strength to be a top run blocker.  Thing is, both strength and experience can be addressed.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:37 AM, TigerJ said:

Dillard is a pure tackle with the athleticism to be a left tackle.  He's not a super physical guy, and could stand to get stronger.  He's also not been much of a mauler in the run game.  He's more of a finesse tackle if the truth be known.  I think if you draft him, it's with the idea that you're going to plug him in at LT and move Dawkins to guard.  Jonah Williams is an outstanding technician, but he's also not terribly physical .  Unlike Dillard, he doesn't have really elite athleticism.  Like Dillard he's not real strong.  Taylor is a big mauler with enough athleticism for right tackle.  Run blocking is his strength.  I think Jonah Williams will be better at guard.  Taylor can play guard or right tackle.  I think there are other outstanding guards (Lindstrom, so I wouldn't use #9 to pick J Williams.  Given the signing of Nsekhe and Waddle, I'm more inclined to go defense at #9, since the value might be better there anyway.

This "finesse" guy who you say isn't physical did 24 bench press reps at the combine- the same number as Taylor, one more than Jonah Williams and seven more than Cody Ford. He's plenty strong as it is and I believe he can and will improve his run blocking as he is coached up and gets more reps.

Edited by EricScott

On 3/21/2019 at 11:14 AM, quincy said:

There appears to be a scarcity of LT prospects this year. Someone who should exclusively play LT in the NFL.

Andre Dillard, Greg Little and Yodny Cajuste are the only three players who appear to fit the description. 

With perhaps Bobby Evans and Tytus Howard as well. Are there any others?

I thought Chuma Edoga from USC looked pretty good at the Senior Bowl.

Edited by EricScott

10 hours ago, EricScott said:

This "finesse" guy who you say isn't physical did 24 bench press reps at the combine- the same number as Taylor, one more than Jonah Williams and seven more than Cody Ford. He's plenty strong as it is and I believe he can and will improve his run blocking as he is coached up and gets more reps.

I don't disagree.  Players can grow and develop and change their game.  Many do.  Not every one does.  Let me be clear.  I'm not trying to be disparaging of Dillard.  I think he's going to be a good pro, and I would not mind if Buffalo took him.  As far as strength is concerned, the scouting reports suggest his play strength isn't what it could be.  Part of that could be his physical style.  Some linemen play more aggressively, and that just makes them look stronger.  I just think that when Buffalo is picking, they will look at everything: the players physical make up, skill set, upside, risks, attitude, character - everything.  

Since 2007, the Bills have made 12 first round picks. All but 1 (Josh Allen) have been from colleges in the Eastern Time Zone.It could be argued high rated QB’s are the easiest to scout.

Coincidence concerning those other 11 picks?

Maybe, maybe not.

Just something to think about.