Andre Dillard at #9?

1 minute ago, EricScott said:

He didn't just have a helluva combine, he had a helluva Senior Bowl week against top competition as well. Hey, I'd love to be able to trade back and still get Dillard, but I think he is going to go much higher than people think because he is a good player at a premium position that is hugely coveted in the NFL. If he turns out to be a reliable protector of Josh's blind side for the next ten years, wouldn't that prove to be a good use of this pick?

Yeah, his entire post season draft process has looked good, I didn’t mean to exclude his Senior Bowl, where he dominated superior competition all week. And like I said, if McBeane and Co. are ok with him at 9, I’m ok with it, too. They’re gonna take the BPA and I wouldn’t be surprise if they consider him to be that. 

I can envision a scenario where Bean thinks that he is the BPA at #9.  He does check a lot of boxes for the OL.  But I think the Bills also want a plug and play run blocker to setup the run game, in turn opening the passing game.  I'm not sure they would take someone who is not great at run blocking.   (but, as you stated, it could be a rep thing that the OL coach believes he can fix). 

• Like (+1) 1

There appears to be a scarcity of LT prospects this year. Someone who should exclusively play LT in the NFL.

Andre Dillard, Greg Little and Yodny Cajuste are the only three players who appear to fit the description. 

With perhaps Bobby Evans and Tytus Howard as well. Are there any others?

10 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I can envision a scenario where Bean thinks that he is the BPA at #9.  He does check a lot of boxes for the OL.  But I think the Bills also want a plug and play run blocker to setup the run game, in turn opening the passing game.  I'm not sure they would take someone who is not great at run blocking.   (but, as you stated, it could be a rep thing that the OL coach believes he can fix). 

I think he makes a lot of sense. I like the idea of having the pivotal LT spot taken care of for years to come. I like the talent, depth and flexibility that our OL would have. Beane & co. have staked their future on the development of Josh Allen and this gives him what I believe could be a top- ten O-line moving forward. You give Allen the confidence that his blockers literally have his back and it allows him to develop the mechanics that will enable him to become the pocket passer that we all hope he can be, instead of him running for his life because of consistent backside pressure. The entire offense would benefit greatly.

Dillard is a pure tackle with the athleticism to be a left tackle.  He's not a super physical guy, and could stand to get stronger.  He's also not been much of a mauler in the run game.  He's more of a finesse tackle if the truth be known.  I think if you draft him, it's with the idea that you're going to plug him in at LT and move Dawkins to guard.  Jonah Williams is an outstanding technician, but he's also not terribly physical .  Unlike Dillard, he doesn't have really elite athleticism.  Like Dillard he's not real strong.  Taylor is a big mauler with enough athleticism for right tackle.  Run blocking is his strength.  I think Jonah Williams will be better at guard.  Taylor can play guard or right tackle.  I think there are other outstanding guards (Lindstrom, so I wouldn't use #9 to pick J Williams.  Given the signing of Nsekhe and Waddle, I'm more inclined to go defense at #9, since the value might be better there anyway.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:50 AM, EricScott said:

One name I don't see being mentioned as a possibility at #9 is Washington State OT Andre Dillard. Let me just make a case for him as a topic for discussion.

Firstly, the initial reaction I would imagine is that 9 is too early for him. Yet there are a couple of mocks where I have seen him going 10 to Denver and 11 to Cincy and my sense is that he is climbing up the draft boards, so I would argue that picking him at 9 would not be the massive overreach that some might think.

I see Jawaan Taylor mentioned as a strong possibility at 9, but A) he plays RT, AND B) he may very well be gone by our pick anyway.

Dillard plays LT, and is the consensus best pass-blocking LT in the draft (he has the tape and an outstanding Senior Bowl against top competition to back it up). Teams spend years trying to find a quality left tackle to protect their QB's blind side; we get Dillard and Josh is protected for years. You then move Dawkins to guard (real good chance that he's a better guard than a left tackle, where he struggled last year), and voila, it's an upgrade at two positions.

I know that Dillard is a work in progress in the run game, but I believe that he is athletic enough to be coached up. Washington State is a pass- happy offense that didn't run the ball much, so Dillard didn't get a lot of reps. Plus, I believe protecting Allen and giving him the time and confidence that his backside is safe is just about the best thing we can do to help him and the offense in general.

And yes, a trade-down and then picking up Dillard would be the best- case scenario, but I'm willing to consider him at 9.

Thoughts?

I posted Bucky Brooks NFL.com draft from MON.  And here is second NFL analyst picking Dillard

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001023641/article/lance-zierlein-2019-nfl-mock-draft-20-giants-reload-at-wr-qb

23 hours ago, peterpan said:

Why would we trade Glenn for basically a 2nd round pick only to take a T at 9.?

I ask that question to point out that....I think Bean and Co are happy with Dawkins as the LT

A couple possible answers might be that he was very expensive, and rarely available to actually play. I have no idea what they truly think of Dawkins or how they will proceed, but those were important factors, I’m sure. 

• Like (+1) 3

23 hours ago, peterpan said:

Why would we trade Glenn for basically a 2nd round pick only to take a T at 9.?

I ask that question to point out that....I think Bean and Co are happy with Dawkins as the LT

So here is Cordy Glenn trade breakdown from NFL.com last year.  

According to ESPN reporter Josina Anderson, the Bengals are trading for Buffalo Billsoffensive tackle Cordy Glenn. According to NFL Network reporter Peter Schrager, the Bengals will swap first-round picks with Buffalo, moving from No. 12 to the No. 21 pick in Round 1. The Bengals will get the Bills’ fifth-round pick, and the Bills get the Bengals’ sixth-round pick.

The Trade was made to move up 9 spots to be in a better position to grab our targeted QB - Josh Allen.  Swap of later picks irrelevant.

While OBD may have been confident last Spring that Dawkins could play LT, his own evaluation of his play last year and release of OLine coach doesn't point towards OBD being happy with Dawkins at LT now.  I believe Nsekhe could replace Dawkins at LT this year as it is his best spot.  Should be noted Bills kept 4 OTs last year with McDermott on 53 man roster.  So could see a Rd 1- 3 draftee at OT to challenge at LT or RT or Swing with  Waddle, Nsekhe and Dawkins on roster too.  Anyone picked later than 5 may be PS developmental player.

I think there will be 8 defensive players taken with the first 9 picks, 1 being a QB in the mix. I'm reading more and more articles that this could be the best DL draft in history, if that's the case I think we should definitely be in on that because we have a huge pass rushing hole on the opposite side of Jerry Hughes. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah I'm not impressed by Dillard. This is like the Jake Fisher type. Long, lean, college spread tackle that just can't handle the power and speed of the ends in the NFL. 

Now I don't like Jonah Williams at left tackle either, but one thing that I find to be funny is that Jonah Williams arms are too short at 33 and 5/8 but no one complains about Dillard's at 33, 1/2? He's long, tall, lean, short arms, played in an air raid system so has no run game polish, and is not super strong. That's not really a recipe for NFL success imo.   

Edited by MrEpsYtown

Too early for him and I'm not sure the Bills are a scheme fit anyway. I think he is a fit in a quick strike rhythm passing offense.

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah I'm not impressed by Dillard. This is like the Jake Fisher type. Long, lean, college spread tackle that just can't handle the power and speed of the ends in the NFL. 

Now I don't like Jonah Williams at left tackle either, but one thing that I find to be funny is that Jonah Williams arms are too short at 33 and 5/8 but no one complains about Dillard's at 33, 1/2? He's long, tall, lean, short arms, played in an air raid system so has no run game polish, and is not super strong. That's not really a recipe for NFL success imo.   

Agree. I think he is a very specific scheme fit. He has good, quick feet out of his stance and decent hand placement but he just doesn't have the core physical strength to dominate in the run game or to hold blocks for longer developing downfield pass plays.

• Like (+1) 1