Ichiro!!!!

The Poojer

Absolute class act.

One of the best hitters of ALL TIME.  Ten straight seasons (his first 10, actually) with 200+ hits and a batting average above .300.  That is insane.

Will definitely be a first ballot HOF.  Should be unanimous.

• Like (+1) 4

Don't you know that no one is watching and one cares?  Sorry, had to.

I was watching this morning as I'm an A's fan.  Great moment, he is truly one of the greats.  Imagine his numbers if he was in MLB from the start.  I think he would have challenged Rose's hit record.  Combined with NPB he has 4,367.  And NPB season (9 years there) is 16 games shorter than MLB season.

It is also said that he could put on an absolute bomb show during batting practice when he wanted to.  He just chose to be a more consistent, BA hitter instead of a power guy.  Plus, a rocket of an arm when he was younger and a class act in every way.  Truly one of the best ever.

Plus he contributed to one of the funniest moments in baseball in recent memory.  When the guy who looked exactly like him and was dressed in a full uniform in the front row was kicked out for interfering with a ball in play that he thought was foul.  I'll try to dig it up.  Classic.

God bless youtube.  So easy.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

He has the heart of a Samurai, and I don't say that lightly.

He was always trying to improve himself, he was a perfectionist, he took playing the game very seriously, and he conducted himself with class and humility.

He is kind of the polar opposite of the Buffalo Sabres team dynamic right now.

5 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

As a former Seattle resident, I can say that I’m quite lucky I got to see him play a plethora of times.

Dude was amazing. And I wish I had his metabolism.

Pants a little snug lately? Just untuck the jersey. You’ll be fine.

5 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

3000 plus MLB hits. 1000 plus hits in Japan.

Just an amazing baseball player with perhaps the best bat control I've ever seen. 

I think it's still Gwynn.  But definitely top 2.  I mean, Gwynn struck out 434 times in his entire 20 year career.  Guys do that in 2 seasons now.  Both were / are amazing.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Tierlifer said:

When he laid a bunt down in the early 2000’s , no one had a shot at getting him out. 

Time lapse of each and every one of his hits. 

That's really cool and highlights some interesting things:

--the number of infield hits is incredible

--he never hit a HR over the fence anywhere other than right/center right, but had a bunch inside the park

--almost never had what they call a 'long single';  if it wasn't hit where an OF could field it coming in, it was a double or better.

5 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

I think it's still Gwynn.  But definitely top 2.  I mean, Gwynn struck out 434 times in his entire 20 year career.  Guys do that in 2 seasons now.  Both were / are amazing.

Given the batting average, it's hard not to go with Gwynn.   The other guy who Ichiro reminds of is Rod Carew, who could also do anything with the bat.

But the fact Ichiro had roughly the same hit count as those guys not counting most of his 20s is pretty incredible.

Edited by KD in CA

18 minutes ago, Tierlifer said:

When he laid a bunt down in the early 2000’s , no one had a shot at getting him out. 

Time lapse of each and every one of his hits. 

This is amazing and thank you for sharing.  He is the epitome of "hit 'em where they ain't."  Unreal.