What do you think the Bills record will be this season?

BmarvB

On 3/21/2019 at 9:10 AM, Bill from NYC said:

The draft could push us into the playoffs if done in a sane way imo.

I think that we both can agree that 6-8 wins would be quite depressing.

In these days of FA and short rookie contracts, if a GM and coach can't get on the winning track in 3 years their plan seems to get called into question.

The Bills have to post a winning season this year and look legit in the games they lose.

I'm sure I get the "downer" tag for this post, but the fact is, of the Bills 10 losses last year, we lost by less than 2 TD only 5 times.

Most of the rest were blowouts - 45, 32 (2x), 22, 19 points.  It wasn't just a handful of mistakes, the defense looked sieve-like and the offense looked impotent.

Regardless of record, that's the thing that I have to see change to believe we're turning it around.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In these days of FA and short rookie contracts, if a GM and coach can't get on the winning track in 3 years their plan seems to get called into question.

The Bills have to post a winning season this year and look legit in the games they lose.

I'm sure I get the "downer" tag for this post, but the fact is, of the Bills 10 losses last year, we lost by less than 2 TD only 5 times.

Most of the rest were blowouts - 45, 32 (2x), 22, 19 points.  It wasn't just a handful of mistakes, the defense looked sieve-like and the offense looked impotent.

Regardless of record, that's the thing that I have to see change to believe we're turning it around.

Nate Peterman 

Derrick Anderson 

Rookie blues. 

3 blowouts sucked but it wasn’t the norm.  

Zay Jones the leading WR.  

Josh was the best of the run game too often.  

Im thinking his #s went down because of game planning and warnings by the coaches to be careful. 

18 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Nate Peterman 

Derrick Anderson 

Rookie blues. 

3 blowouts sucked but it wasn’t the norm.  

Zay Jones the leading WR.  

Josh was the best of the run game too often.  

Im thinking his #s went down because of game planning and warnings by the coaches to be careful. 

Well, I don't want to take up "horse beating", but please keep in mind that slotting Nate Peterman in as the starter at the beginning of the season, and allowing a QB roster of Peterson/Allen to carry into the season, was a GM and coaching decision.

Same for the rest of the decisions - on OL for example, via the FA choices made or not made after Wood retired and Cog did whatever he did (yes, there were OLmen available)

Surely then the FO bears responsibility for those results?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, I don't want to take up "horse beating", but please keep in mind that slotting Nate Peterman in as the starter at the beginning of the season, and allowing a QB roster of Peterson/Allen to carry into the season, was a GM and coaching decision.

Same for the rest of the decisions - on OL for example, via the FA choices made or not made after Wood retired and Cog did whatever he did (yes, there were OLmen available)

Surely then the FO bears responsibility for those results?

That.

We are giving them credit for pursuing a high volume of "modestly" regarded OL in UFA this offseason...........but they could have been a lot more aggressive in the same manner last year.

It may not have yielded great results.......nor may it this time......we don't know....... but going into the season with the least money in the league dedicated to the OL when you are pretty certain to be breaking in a rookie QB was a fundmentally flawed decision.

They really dodged a bullet with that OL last year...........after seeing Allen get his head dribbled off the turf on a hit in that Cinci preseason game it was pretty reasonable to wonder how a QB would survive under the pending duress..........but he proved a better scrambler than I think ANY of us could have imagined.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They really dodged a bullet with that OL last year...........after seeing Allen get his head dribbled off the turf on a hit in that Cinci preseason game it was pretty reasonable to wonder how a QB would survive under the pending duress..........but he proved a better scrambler than I think ANY of us could have imagined.

Other Bills teams neglected the OL when we had a QB who could run his way out of trouble (Flutie and Tyrod come to mind). I hope that McBeane does not repeat these stupid mistakes that cost us to lose countless football games.

Josh Allen is extremely talented and he needs to be given better blocking and better weapons in this draft.

I want to see the Bills play with a lead and then punish their opponents. It sure is about time.

• Like (+1) 2

At this point, I see modest improvement so 7 wins sounds about right. If they don't get a stud of a DT to replace Kyle, I could see the defense falling out of the top 10. I think they were a bit overrated anyways and I think the Jets are a better team right now. I'm not assuming that there will be significant progress by Allen or Edmunds until I see it on the field. The one area where I do expect improvement is in the run game. I think Gore will be a bigger contributor than many people realize, even at age 35. We still have not addressed our run defense or pass rush which could hold us back. Having a QB that throws more picks than TD's will be problematic as well.

12 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

No let me lay it out.  

We lose week one...very badly. Board erupts.  Fights ensue. Heads are called for by fans Here

We proceed to run the table. 

Boom

I just assumed it meant we lost the Super Bowl. Your take is just as Billsy, though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

At this point, I see modest improvement so 7 wins sounds about right. If they don't get a stud of a DT to replace Kyle, I could see the defense falling out of the top 10. I think they were a bit overrated anyways and I think the Jets are a better team right now. I'm not assuming that there will be significant progress by Allen or Edmunds until I see it on the field. The one area where I do expect improvement is in the run game. I think Gore will be a bigger contributor than many people realize, even at age 35. We still have not addressed our run defense or pass rush which could hold us back. Having a QB that throws more picks than TD's will be problematic as well.

Your comments are refreshingly grounded in reality.  They stand out like a stinging light in the darkness on this board! 

• Like (+1) 1

I think this will be a surprising year for the NFL in general.  The old guard’s time is really winding down.

Chiefs, Jets, Bills and Colts are all set up well for the years ahead.  I think both the Bills and Jets wind up at 11-5.

22 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Your comments are refreshingly grounded in reality.  They stand out like a stinging light in the darkness on this board! 

Thank you. I mean, seriously... We have a thread for Allen is not inaccurate or I'm gonna take my ball and go home. Another predicts that he'll be the MVP in 2019. PFF, meanwhile, exposes him as the least accurate starting QB in the NFL. At least they stopped short of exposing him as the reason KB wanted out of Buffalo. I'd also like to see a couple things from Edmunds that I haven't seen yet -- 1. A mean streak. I mean, he's a 255 lb MLB and he hits like a cheerleader. 2. Much better instinct and ability to diagnose plays more quickly. OK, let's make it 3; An ability to shed blocks much more quickly.

Allen can be a good QB, but he'll never be elite. I fear the same may be true of Edmunds, but he has a better chance. Edmunds has the physical tools. Allen has an inaccurate arm and that's something I've never seen fixed.

Our OL is improved from disasterous to average. Our WR corps has improved from disinterested to almost average. 7 wins seems quite reasonable at this point.

Edited by GreggTX

18 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Thank you. I mean, seriously... We have a thread for Allen is not inaccurate or I'm gonna take my ball and go home. Another predicts that he'll be the MVP in 2019. PFF, meanwhile, exposes him as the least accurate starting QB in the NFL. At least they stopped short of exposing him as the reason KB wanted out of Buffalo. I'd also like to see a couple things from Edmunds that I haven't seen yet -- 1. A mean streak. I mean, he's a 255 lb MLB and he hits like a cheerleader. 2. Much better instinct and ability to diagnose plays more quickly.

Allen can be a good QB, but he'll never be elite. I fear the same may be true of Edmunds, but he has a better chance.

Our OL is improved from disasterous to average. Our WR corps has improved from disinterested to almost average. 7 wins seems quite reasonable at this point.

PFF exposed him? Never be elite? You drew that conclusion after 11 games?

KB wanted out of Buffalo? Weird, I've not seen or heard such a claim. In fact, I don't believe he ever said that, Nor was it his choice to be here or not. You are making an awful lot of assumptions here....PFF stopped short of making that claim because, well, its just not true. He was not in high demand upon his release, and is all but washed up at this point.

I will say tho that I agree with your assessment of the O-line. Upgrading to average is still quite an improvement

Edited by BuffAlone

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:30 AM, rodneykm said:

I'm feeling 10 and 6 with a very close playoff game...I'll be optimistic...I think we win one game in the playoffs. 

I was pretty much going to say the same thing....the optimist in me says 10-6.  

Edited by Magnum Force
  • Like (+1) 1