These last 2 drafts have been incredible and McBeane deserve more credit.

Good post OP, but I tried to look at searching NFL Team stats for two years, and couldn’t find it.  If you’re referring to last year we were 1st, not 2nd in the pass and had the #2 overall defense.

I’m of a similar opinion they reshaped the defense, and now the question is can all of these free agents and draft picks reshape our 31st offense.

I would like to be as excited about the past 2 drafts certainly a few "finds"    not sure about trading up for Zay (over JuJu or Kupp)  and of course passing on Mahomes may be one we talk about for years.  

it was Rex's last draft which set us back   Shaq/Ragland/Washington-

41 minutes ago, mcdamit said:

year one will always have the same mystery of the last Nix/first Whaley draft 

Actually....  it isn't even close and a false equivalency.  The Nix/Whaley saga is a "thing" because Whaley was the heir apparent to Nix and was working for the Bills in the capacity to influence the Bills' draft selections as Nix was being phased out.

Beane, on the other hand, was with a different competing NFL team (Panthers) in a capacity to influence their respective draft.  So not only were they on different teams, it would have highly "illegal" to do this type of "influence" and when eventually discovered Beane would have lost his career and he would have incurred the wrath of NFL sanctions (along with Buffalo). If people have learned ANYTHING about Beane, by now, it should be his professionalism and seemingly desire to do the right thing.

29 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Please don’t allow facts to ruin a good story ... :D 

Yeah... seems that folks twist reality to fit their narrative as well to confirm their bias - and THIS topic comes up in an inordinate amount of times.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I would say they did a solid job and part of the reason we had guys come out of nowhere was from the overall lack of talent that was on this team. That gives young players more opportunities to showcase there talents. But at the same time u have to give credit to Mcd and his staff for developing these players. 

On the flip side we also made some big mistakes these last 2 drafts.  Mahomes was the major mistake then follow that up with a ton of young skill position guys they missed out on.  Kamara, Kittle, Juju , Galladay,  Kupp are a few that come to mind in 2017 and in 2018 we had Maurice Hurst just waiting to be drafted and we took another run stopper instead in Harrison.  These kind of mistakes are costly as now we might spend a 1st rd pk on filling that hole at the 3T . I think overall this administration has done a good job and we are headed in the right direction but we lack game changers on this team and that will be the hardest part of this team building . Otherwise we are building to become the next Tennessee Titans a 9-7 middle pack team. 

Wow.  Do you apply the same standards to every NFL front office when it comes to drafting?

Every successful player that we didn't draft is a "big mistake"?  Do you really expect us to walk out of every draft with 7 All-Pro players?

If you look around the league, a successful draft will yield about 3 starting-level players and some quality depth.

A fantastic draft might get you 4 starters and some depth.  Getting more than that is extremely rare.

Either way (good or positive), it's really too early to determine how well this regime has drafted.  You really can't make a definitive judgment on a player until at least 3 seasons.  Which means certain players could still move up or down.  Some of the young guys on our team could still BECOME game-changers.  The 2017 class could yield us a few Pro-Bowlers and some solid starters.  It's also possible we only get two long-term guys out of this group.  So far:

- Tre'Davious White looks like a future Pro-Bowler.

- Zay Jones had a bad rookie season, and an OK second year.  At this point, he's not starting material, but can he continue to progress?

- Dion Dawkins showed promise as a rookie, but slid backwards last season.  Can he turn it around and become a dependable starter?

- Matt Milano was good as a rookie and even better last year.  If he keeps progressing, we may see him in the Pro-Bowl too.

It's really tough to say anything about the 2018 class.  Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds, Harrison Phillips, Taron Johnson and Wyatt Teller - along with Levi Wallace and Robert Foster (UDFA) all flashed various levels of long-term starting potential.  But it will be another season or two before we can be confident whether they will work out or not.

1 hour ago, BillsFan1988 said:

It's obvious they gutted the roster that's why. 

Yes, buy you said was the team had an overall lack of talent, and since we were talking about the team two years ago, when McD arrived, there wasn't a lack of talent.  They had Gilmore, Wattkins, Dareus, Hughes, Kyle, Incognito.   

It wasn't the talent McD wanted, but if was talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't believe for a second that the Buffalo Bills were working with an assistant GM of the Carolina Panthers in the 2017 draft.  They interviewed other people before hiring Beane.  My opinion on that draft is that Whaley and McDermott equally ran that draft.  Yes it was a bad mistake letting a lame duck GM help run a draft but they had no choice.  You don't fire your GM before a Draft.  

5 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

I don't believe for a second that the Buffalo Bills were working with an assistant GM of the Carolina Panthers in the 2017 draft.  They interviewed other people before hiring Beane.  My opinion on that draft is that Whaley and McDermott equally ran that draft.  Yes it was a bad mistake letting a lame duck GM help run a draft but they had no choice.  You don't fire your GM before a Draft.  

Right, all around.

I do think that McD wanted to pick his QB with his new GM.  I think he directed the trade down and the decision to pass on Mahomes.

11 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

...exactly.....imagine the Goodell hammer implications if that was EVER proven........

5 hours ago, QCity said:

He's VP of football ops for the XFL.

I believe McDermott ran that draft...he will take the blame (of not drafting Watson or Mahomes) and take credit for getting some solid starters.

40 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes, buy you said was the team had an overall lack of talent, and since we were talking about the team two years ago, when McD arrived, there wasn't a lack of talent.  They had Gilmore, Wattkins, Dareus, Hughes, Kyle, Incognito.   

I think it was more about contracts(Dareus) and not wanting to pay Watkins and Gilmore as much as they got elsewhere. That's why we had a ton of cap space. There was talent, though.

6 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I know people will talk about Beane not being GM yet but him and McDermott have their fingerprints all over the 2017 draft.

Just off the bat , these drafts were 'Franchise Changing'. We're going to have 8-10 starters from these drafts entering week 1 of the upcoming season! And most these guys are high end starters. That's pretty amazing. 

Milano - Edmunds

Tre -Taron - Levi

Totally rebuilt the D in 2 years, that's incredible.

5 legit starters that all played a huge part in the #2 pass defense.

Harry Phillips plays a key role and can only improve.

Siran Neal is okay depth but again , he can only get better.

Even minus Neal , we added 6 legit contributers on defense in 2 years.

Dawkins - Teller (?)

Allen

Foster

So there's 3 legit starters , including Franchise QB .

Then you got Zay , Teller , Croom as good depth and should be major contributers.

That's 6 legit contributers on offense going into next year.

In that 2 year span we averaged 4 starters and 6 impact players. That's amazing when you think about it. These 2 drafts already have and will continue to have a huge impact on this franchise.

This is how you build a team and set them up for long term success. 

If we can continue to draft this well , we'd have long term,. Sustainable success. I've been saying that since they were hired . I've just had this gut feeling about them . 15 wins with their rosters is extremely impressive. Both seem to have the exact same vision and blueprint and work well together. Calculated, intelligent , patient .  Big things are in store for this franchise. 

I agree with pretty much everything except Croom and Zay Jones. We are linked to any WR with a heart beat in FA and we are spending a ton of scouting resources on the WR position in this draft. The writing is on the wall with Jones. Croom doesn't deserve another write up, he is horrible at everything but he has some athletic ability. 

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Wow.  Do you apply the same standards to every NFL front office when it comes to drafting?

Every successful player that we didn't draft is a "big mistake"?  Do you really expect us to walk out of every draft with 7 All-Pro players?

If you look around the league, a successful draft will yield about 3 starting-level players and some quality depth.

A fantastic draft might get you 4 starters and some depth.  Getting more than that is extremely rare.

Either way (good or positive), it's really too early to determine how well this regime has drafted.  You really can't make a definitive judgment on a player until at least 3 seasons.  Which means certain players could still move up or down.  Some of the young guys on our team could still BECOME game-changers.  The 2017 class could yield us a few Pro-Bowlers and some solid starters.  It's also possible we only get two long-term guys out of this group.  So far:

- Tre'Davious White looks like a future Pro-Bowler.

- Zay Jones had a bad rookie season, and an OK second year.  At this point, he's not starting material, but can he continue to progress?

- Dion Dawkins showed promise as a rookie, but slid backwards last season.  Can he turn it around and become a dependable starter?

- Matt Milano was good as a rookie and even better last year.  If he keeps progressing, we may see him in the Pro-Bowl too.

It's really tough to say anything about the 2018 class.  Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds, Harrison Phillips, Taron Johnson and Wyatt Teller - along with Levi Wallace and Robert Foster (UDFA) all flashed various levels of long-term starting potential.  But it will be another season or two before we can be confident whether they will work out or not.

I was just pointing out it wasn't as fantastic as some suggest. I think a average gm should get 3 starters out of a draft the great one can get 5. I like Beane just think we should scale bk the man love here for him.  I mean how many posts do we need here where people are given this guy to much respect.  Beane has done a reasonable job so far . He's built up the teams overall depth added a potential Star QB and LB in Edmunds but like I said this team RIGHT NOW IS DEVOID OF GAME CHANGERS... Yes we have some potential in Tre White, Milano, Foster , Allen & Edmunds but none of them are there yet. I'm just saying let's see this team earn the recognition the Gm is getting in 2019 before we have a post about this guy every 2 secs on this board.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I know what I said and u must not of understood me.  The team was gutted so u can't bring Sammy or Gilmore into the discussion.  Opportunity for guys like Foster and Wallace to prove there good NFL players come from the lack of talent on this team.  If Gilmore and Sammy was here the only opportunity these guys would of had was watching them perform on the bench . Teams that suck usually find more UDFA then teams that are great.  Matter of fact the better UDFA choose to go to those teams because they have more of an opportunity to stick on those teams. 

6 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I would say they did a solid job and part of the reason we had guys come out of nowhere was from the overall lack of talent that was on this team. That gives young players more opportunities to showcase there talents. But at the same time u have to give credit to Mcd and his staff for developing these players. 

On the flip side we also made some big mistakes these last 2 drafts.  Mahomes was the major mistake then follow that up with a ton of young skill position guys they missed out on.  Kamara, Kittle, Juju , Galladay,  Kupp are a few that come to mind in 2017 and in 2018 we had Maurice Hurst just waiting to be drafted and we took another run stopper instead in Harrison.  These kind of mistakes are costly as now we might spend a 1st rd pk on filling that hole at the 3T . I think overall this administration has done a good job and we are headed in the right direction but we lack game changers on this team and that will be the hardest part of this team building . Otherwise we are building to become the next Tennessee Titans a 9-7 middle pack team. 

Hindsight is always 20/20. You never know how a pick is going to work out. The consensus on Mahomes is pretty much the same across the board: if he hadn't landed in KC with Reid and that supporting cast he's probably nowhere near the QB he's become. And look at the other players you mentioned, they're all playing with franchise QBs, except maybe Kittle because he did what he did last year without Garoppolo. Kamara has Drew Brees and Sean Payton, one of the most creative offensive minds ever, JuJu has Ben and now he'll be "the guy" without AB there, Galladay has Stafford and Kupp has Goff. Maurice Hurst was diagnosed with a heart condition at the combine last year and fell down a lot of boards. He racked up 30 tackles and 4 sacks last year, I wouldn't exactly call that game changing. Milano, drafted two rounds later than Hurst, had 78 tackles, 13.5 of them for loss, forced a fumble, recovered three fumbles and had three interceptions. That's six separate times he got the ball back for the offense. I'd say that can be game-changing. It's easy to sit back and say "oh they missed out on that guy!" once that guy has an outstanding season. But guess what? 31 other teams missed out on that guy as well. It's just how it goes.

• Like (+1) 1

Going to hold off on heaping too much praise because it's still too early. This year will be a big indication on how good the 2017/2018 Drafts were.

Dion Dawkins and Zay Jones need to improve in a big way.

Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds are still raw projects but the signs are there.

The Harrison Philips, Taron Johnson and Matt Milano picks are where teams win championships.

Hoping Siran Neal and Wyatt Teller can make that leap next year. 

We have this year's 2019 3rd Rounder, two 4th rounders and two 5th rounders. If we can hit on a few more players like that in addition to the Levi Wallace/Robert Foster UDFA finds than wow. 

SHOUTOUT TO TRE WHITE! My #1 boy!

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty