Jerry Jones endorses AAF, will host title game in Jones-owned facility..

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26316149/aaf-shifts-title-game-vegas-frisco-texas

Jerry Jones has been seen with an AAF hat many times. He's smelling an opportunity.

"I am a big fan of the Alliance," Jones said. "They are the first high-quality alternative football league to come along in a long time. The championship being live in prime time on CBS and the league's success in drawing good crowds in Texas means this will be a great event for the fans of the Dallas/Fort Worth area."

He's right about San Antonio. They are getting around 30K at their games. And he owns a small stadium in Frisco that will now host the AAF championship instead of Las Vegas.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Smothering the XFL in its crib?

I think the general consensus has been the XFL is gonna fail regardless, but since Vince wants to “compete” against the NFL I’m sure they’d like to squash the idea immediately. Not that the XFL could ever compete. I think many are enjoying the idea that the AAF can be a kind of farm system for talent 

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26316149/aaf-shifts-title-game-vegas-frisco-texas

Jerry Jones has been seen with an AAF hat many times. He's smelling an opportunity.

"I am a big fan of the Alliance," Jones said. "They are the first high-quality alternative football league to come along in a long time. The championship being live in prime time on CBS and the league's success in drawing good crowds in Texas means this will be a great event for the fans of the Dallas/Fort Worth area."

He's right about San Antonio. They are getting around 30K at their games. And he owns a small stadium in Frisco that will now host the AAF championship instead of Las Vegas.

He has finally found playoff teams that the Cowboys can beat.

• Haha (+1) 3

9 hours ago, White Linen said:

I would imagine all the owners support this league. 

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Smothering the XFL in its crib?

The NFL is a cartel and thus does not like competition

The NFL has given it's support to the AAF as a developmental league in part to crush the XFL.   Not because they see the XFL as a direct threat to the big money or high profile players.  But the XFL could lure away the backup/bench/practice squad caliber players and dilute the overall talent pool of the NFL.

Also take note of the physical contact rules in the AAF like not having kickoffs and limiting how many defenders can blitz.  The limited physical contact is there to keep the players from getting hurt and missing NFL training camp

7 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The stadium has a 12,000 seat capacity.  Why would they want it in that small a place?  

Have you noticed all the empty seats?  The AAF is average attendance is about 10,000.

They're going for a smaller venue so the stadium is filled

13 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

The NFL is a cartel and thus does not like competition

The NFL has given it's support to the AAF as a developmental league in part to crush the XFL.   Not because they see the XFL as a direct threat to the big money or high profile players.  But the XFL could lure away the backup/bench/practice squad caliber players and dilute the overall talent pool of the NFL.

Also take note of the physical contact rules in the AAF like not having kickoffs and limiting how many defenders can blitz.  The limited physical contact is there to keep the players from getting hurt and missing NFL training camp

Have you noticed all the empty seats?  The AAF is average attendance is about 10,000.

They're going for a smaller venue so the stadium is filled

...but the "financially beleaguered" NFL owners have yet to pony up $$$ support for a developmental league like MLB or NHL..........

AAF is great, and would be a great place to groom 2nd and 3rd stringers for the NFL. Rochester Amerks of the NFL. I have season tickets to a AAF team and it is a great experience. Season tickets were just $15 per game. You pay that to see a movie.

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The stadium has a 12,000 seat capacity.  Why would they want it in that small a place?  

http://thestarinfrisco.com/ford-center

Jerruh's mini Taj Mahal.

9 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

AAF is great, and would be a great place to groom 2nd and 3rd stringers for the NFL. Rochester Amerks of the NFL. I have season tickets to a AAF team and it is a great experience. Season tickets were just $15 per game. You pay that to see a movie.

So how many people go to games for your team? Some places look empty like @/dev/null says but others like San Antonio do near 30K.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

To actually sell it out. They’re aren’t going to sell out a larger arena and they know it. So instead of playing their championship game in a stadium 1/5 full, they get to played in a sold out venue

I'd like to see an effort to align more closely w/ the NFL.  I think that Practice Squad players and 3rd string QBs under 25 should essentially be loaned out to AAF and let them get more experience and playing time.  I think it would accelerate their development and create more opportunities for them back in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, cage said:

I'd like to see an effort to align more closely w/ the NFL.  I think that Practice Squad players and 3rd string QBs under 25 should essentially be loaned out to AAF and let them get more experience and playing time.  I think it would accelerate their development and create more opportunities for them back in the NFL.

That would have to be negotiated into the CBA. Frankly I think the NFL prefers keeping things at arm's length. No liability issues.

I've attended both Memphis Express home games and am going to the next one Sunday.  They've averaged 10,000 but have only played 2 of their 5 home games.  10K makes the Liberty Bowl look empty but with the warmer weather now and the Johnny Manziel interest, I expect attendance to increase.

13 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I think the general consensus has been the XFL is gonna fail regardless, but since Vince wants to “compete” against the NFL I’m sure they’d like to squash the idea immediately. Not that the XFL could ever compete. I think many are enjoying the idea that the AAF can be a kind of farm system for talent 

The last time the dominant football league underestimated the upstart league it resulted in a merger that gave us the freaking Patriots. No on want that to happen again ?

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Huh? 

NFL underestimated the AFL and dismissed them from ever challenging them. Turned out to be a dog fight that resulted in the merger. The NFL will do what ever they can to squish the XFL before is can develop any kind of momentum.