Summer 2019 Concerts/Shows

LeviF

I won two 3-day passes to Rocklahoma!!!! I know all yall noreasteners probably don't know don't care, but Rocklahoma has been said by many major publications (Rolling Stone, etcc) to be the biggest party in the country over the Memorial Day weekend! Google it if you don't believe me.

70+ hard rock/metal bands. Gonna be fun!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I won two 3-day passes to Rocklahoma!!!! I know all yall noreasteners probably don't know don't care, but Rocklahoma has been said by many major publications (Rolling Stone, etcc) to be the biggest party in the country over the Memorial Day weekend! Google it if you don't believe me.

If this was in the summer (when school is out), I'd bring my son in a heartbeat.  Awesome that you're going for free.  Enjoy, dude!!!

Jeff Miers Top Summer Concerts...(for those that do not know, he writes for the Buffalo News, reviews most of the local concerts in the Gusto section.)

The Flaming Lips and the Claypool Lennon Delirium, with Particle Kid
July 27 at Artpark
Why? Because your heart deserves a holiday. Two of the finest ensembles currently making psychedelic rock music, both of whom happen to be supporting fantastic new albums, team for a summer show that I’m predicting will be the high-point of the summer.

Beck and Cage the Elephant
Aug. 13 at the Darien Lake Amphitheatre
Why, Because Beck is completely awesome, and the new Cage the Elephant album, “Social Cues,” is, too.

George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic with Galactic, Fishbone, and Miss Velvet & the Blue Wolf
June 11 at Artpark
Why? Because a summer without funk isn’t really a summer at all.

James and the Psychedelic Furs

July 18 at Canalside
Why? Because James is one of the great, largely unsung bands of the great alternative rock era of the 1980s and early '90s, and the band has not played a major summer stage in the city of Buffalo. The Psychedelic Furs always deliver the goods, too.

Cobblestone Live!
Aug. 2-3 in the Cobblestone District
Why? The lineup for the third annual Cobblestone Live! fest, is stellar and ably blends national and local talent of the topper-most tier.

Iron Maiden
Aug. 13 at KeyBank Center
Why? Iron Maiden remains the greatest heavy metal band in the world. And the band’s visits to Buffalo have become increasingly rare over the years.

Rockin’ at the Knox with Death Cab for Cutie, Tank and the Bangas, Phosphorescent
June 16 outside the Albright-Knox Art Gallery
Why? This consistently wonderful annual event is a must-see, and this year’s lineup is one of its finest.

The Struts and Glorious Sons
July 25 at Canalside
Why? They keep telling us that rock 'n' roll is dead, and we need to gather in numbers to prove how wrong they are. Two awesomely raunchy young rock bands make this one a summer requirement.

Borderland Music & Arts Festival
Sept. 22-23 at Knox Farm State Park
Why? The setting is beautiful, and the lineup (including Gov’t Mule, Greensky Bluegrass, Shakey Graves and Mavis Staples) is sublime.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Seeing Jeff Lynne in DC on July 11.  George Harrison's son Dhani will be playing with him.

Just watched, "Concert for George" the other night.  My favorite part of the show was when Jeff Lynne came out.  I had every intention of seeing ELO at MSG last summer, but it got all mucked up by my son's friend.  Still pissed about it.  Enjoy the show!!

• Like (+1) 1

Saw Martin Barre and his band play 50 year's of Jethro Tull. By far the best Tull concert in a decade. Younger vocalist sang very well and the only thing I missed was Anderson's flute. But given Anderson's terrible vocals in his concerts, I was glad for the trade off and didn't miss him much. Barre's band had early members Clive Bunker and Dee (formerly David) Palmer and they played 2-3 songs from each their early to mid career albums, stopping very appropriately at Crest of a knave. Surprisingly, they even played a bit from the excellent but much maligned A Passion Play. Loved this concert

Later this summer, I will be seeing Knopfler and Band.

Also Deep Purple . 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Later this summer, I will be seeing Knopfler and Band.

Also Deep Purple . 

Saw Knopfler a couple years ago.  Awesome show.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Seeing The Who tonight!

I heard on the radio yesterday afternoon that Daltrey recent told a crowd to "eff off," during a concert because their pot smoke was giving him an allergic reaction.

Yeah, he says it causes his throat to swell up and prevents him from singing. It's been that way for several tours. People who want to smoke should avoid the front rows, I guess. Or learn about edibles. ? I didn't know he told someone to F off, but when we saw them in 2015, he did make a polite request that people not smoke.

They're touring with an orchestra this time, playing a lot from Tommy and Quadrophenia with the orchestra, and several other pieces with just the regular band.

I realize that The Who is pretty much a tribute band at this point, but they're the best damn Who tribute band playing.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Seeing Jeff Lynne in DC on July 11.  George Harrison's son Dhani will be playing with him.

Seeing him in Pittsburgh August 1

2 hours ago, ricojes said:

Great show just announced for Artpark...

https://www.artpark.net/events/headstones-the-trews-lowest-of-the-low-steven-page

Headstones, The Trews, Lowest of the Low & Steven Page

event_bordercrash.jpg

I have seen the Headstones many times and they never disappoint...

Not much of a border to crash for Steven Page since he lives here in the Syracuse area now. 

On 5/21/2019 at 12:57 PM, WhoTom said:

Seeing The Who tonight!

Great show! Simon Townshend (Pete's brother, who plays rhythm guitar with The Who's touring band) was wearing a Buffalo Sabres hat. I know they played Buffalo a couple of weeks ago - maybe he picked it up then?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/21/2019 at 6:23 AM, Ned Flanders said:

Seeing him end of June in Oregon, the next day going to Santana and The Doobie Bros.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/18/2019 at 8:22 AM, BUFFALOKIE said:

Night one is in the books! All the artists put on great shows but Steel Panther was hands down the best. They are great stage performers and had the crowd rockin like 1985. Boobies, boobies, boobies everywhere. They are sooo funny too!

GWAR freaking killed it! Buck Cherry, Seether, Pop Evil, Corrosion of Conformity all had great sets too. 

Shinedown was the headliner to end the night but I was very disappointed in the sound system for them. I don't know what changed, but there set was nearly indistinguishable - all bass drum and no treble. We left halfway through their set which was for the better because it started raining right as we got back to camp.

We will head in earlier today for all the early acts. Tonight ends with Korn. It's going to be another mud fest, so hopefully no more rain.

Peace out, God bless our fallen soldiers and GO BILLS!!!!