Summer 2019 Concerts/Shows

LeviF

On 8/22/2019 at 10:00 AM, Gugny said:

Went to Knotfest with my son last night.

Behemoth - This was our third time seeing them (I seriously cannot believe I just wrote that).  Just your average, every day devil-worshipping music from Poland.  They are entertaining to watch.  The music is bearable.  Not my cup of tea, but I got through it.

Gojira - This is one band my son has never gotten into; nor have I.  I was shocked at how much I liked them.  Not nearly as heavy as I thought they'd be and the vocals weren't limited to growls, which I liked.  I actually look forward to seeing them again.

Volbeat - Since I'd seen Slipknot once before, I was actually looking forward to seeing Volbeat more than Slipknot.  The songs I'd heard from them (just a few) were really, really good and I figured they'd rock out and put on a great show.  Ho.  Lee.  Chit.  Was I wrong.  They played about an hour.  I'd say 4-5 songs were really good.  The other ones ..... best way I can describe it is this:  A mixture of the Killers, Europe, Tiffany and Debbie Gibson with a dash of Nickelback.  I will say this, though, the vast majority of the crowd LOVED them.  And the place was packed.  I wouldn't avoid seeing them again if they were an opening act.  But I would never, ever pay to see them as a headliner.  Pop-rock at its finest.  Kinda.

Slipknot - Phenomenal.  Non-stop energy.  They really fed off the crowd.  I couldn't name one Slipknot song if my life depended on it.  But I do listen to them (second hand) when my son listens to them and I like them.  As I mentioned earlier, this was my second time seeing them.  Even better than the first.  I will see Slipknot every time they're in the area.  They are that ***** good.

On my way out, I was talking to my son about how crowded it was.  A guy next to me said he'd heard that they were turning people away because they were sold out.  I"m not sure how true this is, since it was at Saratoga Performing Arts Center, which is an amphitheatre with a lawn.   The Dead drew over 40,000 people in 1985.  They may have change capacity rules, but I don't think the crowd was that big last night.  I'd put it well over 20,000, which fills MSG.  Great crowd; great night.  I"d recommend the show to any metal heads out there.  For 3/4 of the bands, anyway.  And maybe you can bring your teenage daughter to enjoy Volbeat!

I was there as well.   It was incredibly crowded, and trying to get out of there was worse than most Bills games.

In terms of the music I thought Gorija was incredible, much more my type of music.   It was my first time seeing Volbeat, while their singer is really good and they are a tight band, I am not sure I understood the range of their music.   They reminded me a lot of Cheap Trick at times, and at other times I could hear the Slayer influence, not bad, just more like a really polished cover band.

This was my first time seeing Slipknot.   I was pretty underwhelmed.  Without Corey, who is without question one of the best frontman going, I am not sure the band is anything special.   Weinberg's kid is a great drummer I will say that, but the energy from the crowd far surpassed the movement on stage.   Sid looked like he didn't know what to do with himself the entire show and the bass player was stagnant.    Granted I was pretty exhausted by the time they played, but I just didnt think it was one of the better shows I've been too.  For comparison sake, Korn blows Slipknot off the stage. 

Additionally, they played for an hour and 45 minutes and a good half hour of it was Corey talking.    Not my cup of tea I suppose.

On 8/22/2019 at 12:54 PM, Mr Info said:

I have been to a bunch of shows & a couple of fests this year but the best I saw so far was Mark Knopfler. He was supported by an amazing 9 person band & he still cranks on guitar. He looks like your old, quiet, weird uncle at a family reunion but he is engaging and humble on stage.

I saw him in Connecticut a couple weeks back.  I've seen him three times and always hope it won't be the last.  His post Dire Straits work is incredible.  Check it all out if you haven't.  He has a few songs he plays at almost every show but he always throws in some older ones too.  Once Upon a Time in the West, Done with Bonaparte, and Heart Full of Holes were nice surprises this time through.  

I think this tour might be it for him.  He's 70 and the last show on the tour is at the Garden with Bonnie Raitt.  It's 3 times as big as the other arenas he is playing. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, OGTEleven said:

I saw him in Connecticut a couple weeks back.  I've seen him three times and always hope it won't be the last.  His post Dire Straits work is incredible.  Check it all out if you haven't.  He has a few songs he plays at almost every show but he always throws in some older ones too.  Once Upon a Time in the West, Done with Bonaparte, and Heart Full of Holes were nice surprises this time through.  

I think this tour might be it for him.  He's 70 and the last show on the tour is at the Garden with Bonnie Raitt.  It's 3 times as big as the other arenas he is playing. 

Thx for the info about the last show...I am going to investigate if I can pull this off. I agree, this may be the last time to see him live.

19 hours ago, OGTEleven said:

Damn. I was thinking a few months ago he would be one I'd like to see in concert, so when I looked at his tour, no dates worked with my schedule and location. Even the last one might not work, but from what he has left, it's the only possibility. 

28 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Seeing Everclear playing outdoors tonight. Last concert before that here in Chicago was Queen and have to say the old guys were pretty awesome even with no Freddie...

I've never seen Everclear, but I've always wanted to.  Heard a great interview with the lead singer a couple months ago.  Awesome dude.  I have no doubt it's gonna be an awesome show.  Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Just found out that this current tour The Who are travelling with an Orchestra, so this should be interesting. Only curious as to why a band as big as The Who would have tickets as low as $15. I saw some that were as low as $4, but it was essentially side stage tickets. Original face value was $65 before taxes and fees, and up. Meh. Even if they're not that great, the bucket list factor is worth the price.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

30 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Just found out that this current tour The Who are travelling with an Orchestra, so this should be interesting. Only curious as to why a band as big as The Who would have tickets as low as $15. I saw some that were as low as $4, but it was essentially side stage tickets. Original face value was $65 before taxes and fees, and up. Meh. Even if they're not that great, the bucket list factor is worth the price.

The ticket outlets do that every year with select shows. We saw The Who at Alpine Valley for $20/ticket (lawn seats) a few weeks ago. We also saw them in Tinley Park in May, but we paid full price - around $70/ticket. Both were excellent shows! They're playing alot from Tommy and Quadrophenia, their two rock operas. If you're a casual fan, you might not recognize some of what they're playing, but they will play quite a few hits too. (I'm a big Who fan and I love the lesser-known stuff they're doing.)

The conductor, first violinist, and first cellist are touring with the band, but the rest of the orchestra is local to whatever venue they're playing. They get a couple of hours to rehearse the whole thing together the day of the show. It's pretty amazing, and shows how good these musicians - the rock band and the orchestra - are.

Enjoy the show!

Edited by WhoTom

15 hours ago, WhoTom said:

The ticket outlets do that every year with select shows. We saw The Who at Alpine Valley for $20/ticket (lawn seats) a few weeks ago. We also saw them in Tinley Park in May, but we paid full price - around $70/ticket. Both were excellent shows! They're playing alot from Tommy and Quadrophenia, their two rock operas. If you're a casual fan, you might not recognize some of what they're playing, but they will play quite a few hits too. (I'm a big Who fan and I love the lesser-known stuff they're doing.)

The conductor, first violinist, and first cellist are touring with the band, but the rest of the orchestra is local to whatever venue they're playing. They get a couple of hours to rehearse the whole thing together the day of the show. It's pretty amazing, and shows how good these musicians - the rock band and the orchestra - are.

Enjoy the show!

Yeah. I’m not the biggest Who fan but for $15 bucks I decided to go. Not very familiar wit Quad but I love Tommy.  It was great, even the stuff I wasn’t familiar with was beautiful with the orchestra. 

Unfortunately, they only played about five songs. Pete Sang Who Are You, and then Roger Daltry walked off stage. Apparently he had vocal issues and couldn’t finish. Pete came out and announced that they’re postponing the show but will do what’s they can to reschedule.  

12 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Yeah. I’m not the biggest Who fan but for $15 bucks I decided to go. Not very familiar wit Quad but I love Tommy.  It was great, even the stuff I wasn’t familiar with was beautiful with the orchestra. 

Unfortunately, they only played about five songs. Pete Sang Who Are You, and then Roger Daltry walked off stage. Apparently he had vocal issues and couldn’t finish. Pete came out and announced that they’re postponing the show but will do what’s they can to reschedule.  

Bummer. I could tell that Roger was struggling, even though he still sounded great. They were spreading out the shows so he had a few days of rest in between, but I guess that wasn't enough. I hope you get to see a full performance.

46 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Bummer. I could tell that Roger was struggling, even though he still sounded great. They were spreading out the shows so he had a few days of rest in between, but I guess that wasn't enough. I hope you get to see a full performance.

I'm not mad. Either A I get a refund, and I saw a 30 minute Who concert for free. Or they reschedule, and I get to see them again. 

Saw Phil Collins.  While his voice is still in good shape, I had no idea prior to him coming on stage, that he has become a cripple...even after multiple back surgeries.  Entire show except for one song was done with him sitting in a chair.

Very sad for someone who isn't even 70.

:(:(:(

10 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Saw Phil Collins.  While his voice is still in good shape, I had no idea prior to him coming on stage, that he has become a cripple...even after multiple back surgeries.  Entire show except for one song was done with him sitting in a chair.

Very sad for someone who isn't even 70.

:(:(:(

From what I understand, the fact that he was able to do that at this point is a miracle within itself.

8 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

From what I understand, the fact that he was able to do that at this point is a miracle within itself.

Yeah.  I was sitting there wondering why a man who is worth millions is out there touring instead of doing whatever he can to get better. 

He also mentioned that he can no  longer drum or play the piano due to injury/surgery complications.