Summer 2019 Concerts/Shows

LeviF

15 hours ago, Gugny said:

I never get lawn seats.  Always inside.

Same, even have a technique for our amphitheater now. I buy the cheapest seat inside, then the day of the concert, a few hours before it starts, I'll look online to see what seats are still unsold closer to the stage, and go sit there instead. I don't get greedy and try for the front sections, usually somewhere in the middle near the sound board, where there's not a lot of people around. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/16/2019 at 3:04 AM, plenzmd1 said:

He lost me right off the bat with  "We started drinking white wine in the car".  

With that said, I skimmed through it and agree that wind can mess with sound quality.  It's a risk of the outdoor concert. Kind of like going to a sporting event and your team gets blown out. 

On 7/12/2019 at 10:09 PM, Teddy KGB said:

Dierks Bentley is a monster.       All the new rockstars are in country 

ox·y·mo·ron
/ˌäksəˈmôrˌän/
noun
  1. a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g. All the new rockstars are in country).
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/11/2019 at 3:22 PM, Just Jack said:

Tonight Weird Al, tomorrow Silversun Pickups. 

How was Weird Al. Saw him back in June. It was a great show, granted a bit short. I had also just driven from Dallas seeing Paul McCartney the night before, who played 38 songs in just short of 3 hours. 

Al was my first concert back around 2002. All the costume changes were great and it was throughly entertaining. This one was different, but that’s because he took advantage of the orchestra and played songs that he couldn’t do justice for on a regular tour. 

13 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

How was Weird Al. Saw him back in June. It was a great show, granted a bit short. I had also just driven from Dallas seeing Paul McCartney the night before, who played 38 songs in just short of 3 hours. 

Al was my first concert back around 2002. All the costume changes were great and it was throughly entertaining. This one was different, but that’s because he took advantage of the orchestra and played songs that he couldn’t do justice for on a regular tour. 

It was good, I enjoyed it. I missed the encore, because I was on call for work, and of course got a call right before it. It was a short concert, he came on around 8:15 and would have been finishing about 10:15. My pictures, along with a couple videos, are up on my FB page from that night. 

Edited by Just Jack

Godsmack/New Year's Day

New Year's Day were fronted by a very attractive young lady - think Selena if she went metal.  They had lots of energy.  No one knew who they were (they are out of L.A.) and she even said she knew that.  Put on a great show for the 30 minutes they were out there.

There couldn't have been more than 3,000 people there, which surprised me.

Godsmack, with whom I am not very familiar outside the few popular tunes they have, came out at around 9:15pm.  They started heavy and they were very loud, but mixed well.  The singer noted how light the crowd was, but said it didn't matter - they were still gonna put on a great rock show.

They did.  Highlight (for me) was when the singer sat behind a drum kit and played in tandem with the drummer.  Pretty cool.  You could see they were having fun.

I was surprised at the lack of blistering guitar solos; there were zero.  Must just be their kind of music, which is fine.

Lil' Gug ended up catching a drumstick.  I've been going to concerts for 35+ years and they only takeaway I've ever had was a setlist from Cult show a few years back.  I was happy for him.  He enjoyed both bands.  The lead guitarist from the opener was a lefty and played the same exact guitar as one of Lil' Gug's.  He thought that was really cool.  And Godsmack's bassist is lefty, too.

Godsmack played for just over an hour.  I'm sure it was an abbreviated set due to the small crowd, but I was thankful, as I have to work in the morning.

All in all, great show.  As long as my son enjoyed it, that's all that matters.

The only bad thing was that "the Freebird guy," was sitting directly behind me.  He must have yelled it 10 times.  It's not ***** funny, dude.  Never.  Ever, ever.

Just got back from Red Rocks, CO, where we saw two nights of String Cheese Incident. Saturday, they closed the show by acknowledging the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing with a killer medley of space-related theme songs, including Star Trek (TOS and TNG), Star Wars (movie theme song, music from the bar scene, and the Darth Vader theme), Close Encounters, and 2001.

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/21/2019 at 11:36 PM, Gugny said:

Highlight (for me) was when the singer sat behind a drum kit and played in tandem with the drummer.  Pretty cool.  You could see they were having fun.

I wonder if that's becoming a thing for bands to do. Saw it last month with Toad the Wet Sprocket. But they were using the same drum kit. At Godsmack, was it two drum kits? 

Del McCoury played with them didn't they?  I bet that was pretty awesome

24 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Just got back from Red Rocks, CO, where we saw two nights of String Cheese Incident. Saturday, they closed the show by acknowledging the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing with a killer medley of space-related theme songs, including Star Trek (TOS and TNG), Star Wars (movie theme song, music from the bar scene, and the Darth Vader theme), Close Encounters, and 2001.

3 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I wonder if that's becoming a thing for bands to do. Saw it last month with Toad the Wet Sprocket. But they were using the same drum kit. At Godsmack, was it two drum kits? 

It was two drum kits for Godsmack.  Sully is no joke on the drums.  They had a little fun with it, doing bits and pieces of cover tunes (Zep, Aerosmith).

14 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Del McCoury played with them didn't they?  I bet that was pretty awesome

Yeah, The Del McCoury Band opened Sunday's show, and then returned for a good chunk of SCI's first set. The two bands played together on some straight-up bluegrass for a while, and at one point, SCI started a reggae groove, and Del's band went with it. Eventually, the song evolved into a full-on bluegrass jam. Very cool.

One of the guys from SCI said he was grateful that Del, a bluegrass legend, would hang out with "hippie jam bands like us" when some bluegrass purists might say, "That's not our scene."

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Has anyone ever seen "Almost Queen?" 

Headed  to Pittsburgh on July 31 to see Queen with Adam Lambert.

I have been playing a lot of Queen for my 6 year old grandson and he 

is getting excited.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Gugny said:

Has anyone ever seen "Almost Queen?" 

I think so. I know I just saw a Queen tribute back in May. Forget the name, but they were European. They had the full light show, and everything. You would have thought you were at a real Queen show. They played all the Queen songs like the band had originally played them live. Made me change my mind on buying Queen + Adam Lambert because they were so great. 

Stones tomorrow night at NRG (Texans Stadium). I've been waiting for this one since I got the ticket for Christmas. Was supposed to go in April. I usually don't ask for things for Christmas/Birthdays. But when this concert was announced I told my wife this was literally the only thing I wanted. They're my favorite band, and I would have been happy with nosebleeds. Instead, she talked to my whole family, and they all pitched in what they were planning on spending on me, and got me floor seats. I've only cried at a gift like twice in my life, and this was one of them.

image.thumb.png.ebd640180460479c9195c85c8c831a14.png