Summer 2019 Concerts/Shows

LeviF

34 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

Tuesday 6.25 at ArtPark in Lewiston

YES, Asia, Carl Palmer and John Lodge.

I'll be there. Thinking it may be the last time I get to see Carl Palmer. Yes is a shell of it's former self with Chris Squire's passing and Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman doing their thing with Trevor Rabin. Not a fan at all of the current Yes singer, but Billy Sherwood does fill in admirably for the late Chris Squire. He also fills in in Asia for the late John Wetton.  

43 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

They were down here in Baltimore last Saturday night and tickets were available on Stubhub for $6.  Would have liked to go but I was stuck in a meeting most of Saturday.

On 6/24/2019 at 7:50 PM, Just Jack said:

I'm thinking of hitting three shows this weekend.

Friday night, Quiet Riot at a bar here in Syracuse (never seen them, and tickets are cheap)

Saturday night, Toad The Wet Sprocket (already have tickets for this show)

Sunday night, Dierks Bentley (the wife likes him is the only reason I'd go)

I hope those tickets are really cheap, otherwise don't bother. There are no truly original members. And the bass player and drummer are the only ones left from their prime lineup in the early 80s.

On 6/25/2019 at 8:35 AM, LewPort71 said:

I went last night. I don't want to make people angry with my "review" so I will just say that Hubby was happy we went, and that is all that matters to me. ? 

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I hope those tickets are really cheap, otherwise don't bother. There are no truly original members. And the bass player and drummer are the only ones left from their prime lineup in the early 80s.

They have an American Idol alum (James Durbin) singing now, LOL.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They have an American Idol alum (James Durbin) singing now, LOL.

Queen is basically doing the same thing. But they at least still have Brian May and Roger Taylor. And while Adam Lambert is no Freddie, he's got some respectable chops of his own, and he's not trying to do a freddie impersonation, which I respect. 

2 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Queen is basically doing the same thing. But they at least still have Brian May and Roger Taylor. And while Adam Lambert is no Freddie, he's got some respectable chops of his own, and he's not trying to do a freddie impersonation, which I respect. 

Yeah, the current Queen show is far more legit than any Quiet Riot act.  It's more of a celebration of their great music with a singer capable of singing them - but, as you say - not trying to be Freddie.  Very respectful, I agree.

I just heard that Dennis DeYoung will be playing in Albany, NY for the 4th of July fireworks show.  Free show.

He'll be singing ONLY Styx tunes.  I would absolutely love to see this, but there's no way in hell I'm going to Albany for the 4th of July.

Styx is one of those bands I wish could get their poop together and reunite.  I did see them with their new singer many years ago and it was good.  But DeYoung would have made it spectacular.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/25/2019 at 8:35 AM, LewPort71 said:

I wish I had gone, I knew about the concert, I'm working in Buffalo this week, but getting out there with the work van would be difficult. 

Jeff Lynne's ELO with Dani Harrison in Portland tomorrow night, younger brother flying out from NY to spend a week with my wife and I. 

Next night we see The Doobie Bros open for Santana. Then 4 days at the Oregon Coast for the Fourth where my band plays every year. Oregon Country Fair's 50th anniversary the next week with Phil Lesh and his Terrapin All Stars headlining. Summertime!!!?????

• Like (+1) 2

Been a good week. Jade Bird, Father John Misty and Jason Isbell at CMAC. FJM was such a surprise - 9 piece band, horn section and they killed it.  I only know about 3-4 of his songs but every single one sounded so good. Jade Bird - how does a 21-year old Brit get on that tour?  Talent - she was really good. My 4th time seeing Jason Isbell and he always does a great job. Missed Amanda Shires though. 

Also saw Toad the Wet Sprocket at Homer last night. Fun, intimate venue and the crowd was into it, as always at that place. Highlight of the show: the PA cut out halfway through the first encore song.  No vocals, no instruments. The crowd finished the song a cappella.  The name of the song when everything went wrong?
“Something’s Always Wrong”!

Edited by WotAGuy

7 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Also saw Toad the Wet Sprocket at Homer last night. Fun, intimate venue and the crowd was into it, as always at that place. Highlight of the show: the PA cut out halfway through the first encore song.  No vocals, no instruments. The crowd finished the song a cappella.  The name of the song when everything went wrong?

“Something’s Always Wrong”!

I was there too. Front row, balcony, stage right. I got a video of the unplanned sing along. Don't know if you could see where you were sitting, the roadie brought out a couple of bull horns to use after that happened. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great Blue Heron Music Festival (Sherman, NY) last weekend.

Phish at Alpine Valley (East Troy, WI) this weekend.

String Cheese Incident at Red Rocks, Colorado the following weekend.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/stop-pretending-youre-having-fun-at-this-outdoor-concert/2019/07/12/0315d242-a290-11e9-b732-41a79c2551bf_story.html?utm_term=.1ec13ee3da03

Funny article

Outdoor concerts are garbage, and not only because they smell like it. Don’t take my word for it. “I don’t even understand them in theory,” Lexington, Ky.-based freelance journalist Sarah Baird, 31, said, calling them “antithetical to enjoying music.”

The very nature of what makes an outdoor concert special — specifically, inviting nature into a concert — is what turns off so many. “It’s like going camping with 20,000 drunk strangers, in a place that smells like beer, B.O., vomit and urine. It’s a hassle to get there, and it’s expensive,” said Carol Blymire, a 50-year-old consultant who lives in the District.