Summer 2019 Concerts/Shows

LeviF

2 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

He may be looking weathered but he puts up videos of his workouts at the cities they have been stopping in, both for D&C and Wolf Brothers, the dude seems to be in pretty damned good shape which is a nice change from a few years ago

Agreed. And I hope he keeps touring forever. But the way he moves now, the whiteness of his beard...I'm just saying that the years are catching up to him.

He claims -- and I think he's right -- that he has played more live shows than any musician in the history of planet earth. Incredible.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Bobby is starting to look mighty, um...weathered. Like Father Time. With his cowboy hat and pancho on night 1, he looked like he could jump on a horse and ride off into the sunset at any moment. 

With or without his uncle?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, T&C said:

That was John Phillips...

I know, but the Dead made it famous, and Bobby did the vocals.

Phillips was so wasted when he wrote the song that he forgot having written it. It wasn't until a royalty check came in from Judy Collins' recording of it that his memory started to come back.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Phillips was so wasted when he wrote the song that he forgot having written it. It wasn't until a royalty check came in from Judy Collins' recording of it that his memory started to come back.

Ahh... the good old days. Never heard a Judy Collins version of it, I'll have to youtube that.

40 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

One of the great songwriting stories in american history.

20 minutes ago, Logic said:

One of the great songwriting stories in american history.

For anyone who doesn't know and is interested, you can read the story here: https://www.dead.net/features/greatest-stories-ever-told/greatest-stories-ever-told-me-and-my-uncle

Side note: I have a book called "The Grateful Dead and Philosophy"  - each chapter is an essay written by an actual philosopher. The chapter on "Me and My Uncle" is subtitled, "On the Ethics of Leaving His Dead Ass There by the Side of the Road."

• Haha (+1) 1

Listening to the Friday night show now, it sounds incredible. Jeff C keeps moving more out front in each tour and i'm loving it.  Johnny Boy is also doing a really nice job!

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Just got back from seeing two Dead and Company shows at the Gorge in WA. 

Absolutely beautiful venue. Probably the best in the country. The first night was cold as all get out. Second night was warm and lovely. Great sets, great sunsets, great fans, great time. Absolutely unforgettable experience. There is NOTHING on earth quite like a Grateful Dead show. 

Oh, and I saw two different Bills fans there! We're everywhere!

62224081_10159191882617837_2606545716989919232_n.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Listening to the Friday night show now, it sounds incredible. Jeff C keeps moving more out front in each tour and i'm loving it.  Johnny Boy is also doing a really nice job!

Agreed.

The second set of the first night and the first set of the second night are my favorites. As I said earlier, make sure to check out that Ripple encore from night 1. One of the most beautiful versions I've ever heard, INCLUDING versions with Jerry.

Saw two amazing concerts this weekend. Friday the wife and I drove up to Dallas from Houston. Unrelated to the concert, we checked out the JFK museum on the 6th floor of the book depository and Dealey Plaza. Fascinating place. 

That night, saw Paul McCartney. Awesome show. It was at Globe Life Park (Texas Rangers) in Arlington. Sat about 20 rows behind home plate. Perfect for baseball, but still not bad for a concert. Played everything from Beatles, to Wings, to solo. Even played Something, and Mr. Kite. Let Me Roll It ended with Foxy Lady. Pyrotechnics during Live and Let Die. Three hours show, nonstop. Also very engaging, telling the stories behind a lot of songs. Didn't play a few songs I was hoping for, but when you have a catalog as big as his, he could play for six hours and not hit all of the songs everybody wants to hear. His voice isn't what it once was, but find me someone whose is at that age. Still wasn't bad at all. One of the best concerts I've ever seen. 

Next morning we woke up, packed up, and made it back to Houston (Just in time due to a three hour traffic jam that took us 5 miles because of construction) for Weird Al Yankovic. Had seats about 15 rows back. Weird Al was my first concert when I was about 13. This one was a little different than his usual tours, because he did it with a full backing orchestra. So the setlist was a bit different from others, because he took advantage of the orchestra, and played songs that he couldn't do justice on a regular tour, so of course there were some sacrifices, which is understandable. Amish Paradise (which is Gangster's Paradise) sounded absolutely beautiful. If you've never seen him live, do yourself a favor and go. One of the most underappreciated live acts I've ever seen. 

SIDE NOTE: Why do people spend $300+ dollars on concert tickets, just to leave before the encore, which is usually their most popular song? Just to beat traffic by 20 minutes? Just stay home at that point.

Paul Al.jpg

Saw Dead & Company Thursday night in Camden, didn't love the set list, why do a slow Black Peter as the penultimate song????  Despite not loving the setlist thought they did an outstanding job of playing the songs.  Johnny Boy continues to impress and I love that they are giving Jeff C some more freedom.  Such a great atmosphere.  Jerry must have been keeping an eye on us because despite threats of storms all evening, once 3:15 hit, everything cleared up and it was a beautiful night.

Once again i will say that the best cheesesteaks in the Philly area are at donkey's place smack dab in the middle of the ghetto.  Although it's on a round kaiser roll, it's really a top notch cheesesteak.  Highly recommend putting on your big boy and girl pants and venturing into Donkeys for a great sammich

Edited by The Poojer

25 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Saw Dead & Company Thursday night in Camden, didn't love the set list, why do a slow Black Peter as the penultimate song????  Despite not loving the setlist thought they did an outstanding job of playing the songs.  Johnny Boy continues to impress and I love that they are giving Jeff C some more freedom.  Such a great atmosphere.  Jerry must have been keeping an eye on us because despite threats of storms all evening, once 3:15 hit, everything cleared up and it was a beautiful night.

Once again i will say that the best cheesesteaks in the Philly area are at donkey's place smack dab in the middle of the ghetto.  Although it's on a round kaiser roll, it's really a top notch cheesesteak.  Highly recommend putting on your big boy and girl pants and venturing into Donkeys for a great sammich

Did you see that John played one of Jerry's custom guitars on Sunday?

https://jambands.com/news/2019/06/24/john-mayer-plays-jerry-garcias-wolf-guitar-with-dead-company-at-citi-field

As I mentioned earlier in this thread… major concerts are quite rare down here on the South Island, so my wife and I are pretty excited that we scored tickets to see U2 up in Auckland this coming November.

U2 are continuing their Joshua Tree tour down here in the Southern Hemisphere.

Anyway, they’ve always been one of my favourite bands, but I have only seen them one time before.  (1987 Rochester NY, on the Joshua Tree tour!)

Now, 32 years later I will get to see them again.  Can’t wait.

One of the cool things about this show, is that it will be at Mount Smart stadium, which is right next to One Tree Hill, which is my favourite song from the Joshua Tree album!

I'm thinking of hitting three shows this weekend.

Friday night, Quiet Riot at a bar here in Syracuse (never seen them, and tickets are cheap)

Saturday night, Toad The Wet Sprocket (already have tickets for this show)

Sunday night, Dierks Bentley (the wife likes him is the only reason I'd go)