Summer 2019 Concerts/Shows

LeviF

Usually have a bunch of shows lined up by now. So far just Jason Isbell/Father John Misty and Joe Jackson.

Last year was a great year for shows: Isbell (2x), Brandi Carlile (2x), Decemberists (2x), Edie Brickell, Jukebox the Ghost, Dave Mason, Crash Test Dummies, David Byrne,  the Weepies. All really great shows - Byrne was quite memorable. 

7 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Saw an April Fool's Day post that said that Led Zeppelin was reuniting to take the Stones place on their tour that's being postponed. I knew right away it was a joke, but honestly, if that ended up being the case, I wouldn't even be mad.

I don't think I'd want them to reunite.  I'm a huge Zep fan.  I have no interest in seeing them force their way through songs that Plant can no longer sing.  It's nice when bands know when to stop, in my opinion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/1/2019 at 11:24 AM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Mick Jagger is having surgery and the tour is being postponed. Was so excited to see that at the end of the month. 

Hope all goes well for him. Fan since 65

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Doctors say it's a routine procedure, and he should be able to get back out on the road by the summer. 

Will see about that. I think this might be it for touring

OK, not a concert, but a show. We saw To Kill a Mockingbird in NYC last Friday. I hadn’t been to a Broadway show in many years.  I enjoyed it even more than I expected. Nice night. 

Saw this year's Experience Hendrix show last night at the Albany Palace Theatre.

Guitarists:

Eric Johnson

Dweezil Zappa

Mato Nanji

Jonny Lang

Taj Mahal

Dave Mustaine

Joe Satriani

The Slide Brothers

Bassists:

Billy Cox

Kevin McCormick

Dug Pinnick

Drummers:

Chris Layton

Kenny Arnoff

What a fu*king show.  Chris Layton, Billy Cox and Kevin McCormick were the battery for the majority of the night (show ran 8pm - 10:45).  Johnson and Zappa started and played beautifully.  Zappa left for a bit and it was just Johnson, who absolutely smoked.  Nanji came out and stayed out for a lot of the show.  He played some short, but solid, solos - far less of a spotlight guitarist, but still very good.

Slide Bros., once they came out, also played in support of some of the other artists, including Jonny Lang (much better than when I saw him with this tour 5 years ago) and Taj Majal.

Before the show, I was most intrigued by what Mustaine and Satriani would bring to the table.  I'd heard/read that when Zakk Wylde played with the tour, that he was way too heavy metal and turned a lot of people off (I love that dude, by the way); I was worried that these two might not respect what the night was supposed to be - an evening of Hendrix tunes played respectfully.

Mustaine's set was very short - just a couple songs (no spoilers).  He quickly put my worries to rest.  He played the tunes just like Jimi did/would.  You could tell he was having fun up there.  I couldn't name one Megadeth song, so I've never really heard him play.  He came there with the purpose of pumping out quality Hendrix and he delivered.

The last third of the show was a three man jam:  Satriani, Pinnick and Arnoff.  HOLY SH*T.  These guys were tight and they absolutely ripped it.  Arnoff was like Mitch Mitchell on steroids.  Phenomenal.  Pinnick's bass lines were simple, but solid; he was also the only one singing.  This was my first time seeing Satriani.  I saw Vai not too long ago and he was great, but obviously wasn't playing the blues.  I was worried that Satriani would bring that style into this show.

He did not.  He played Jimi-style blues the whole time.  He mixed a little shredding in, but it was done tastefully.  Overall, this last set was the highlight of the show (judging by crowd reaction, I think most would agree).

My son and I both walked away thinking, "this is how Jimi would have played if he had a Floyd Rose."

I highly recommend any Hendrix fan to catch this tour.  Fantastic.

Just got my notification for next weeks Free At Noon show at World Cafe Live, The Claypool Lennon Delerium.  That should be an great time, not crazy about Sean Lennon, but the stuff he has put out together with Les Claypool is really interesting stuff, and well, Les Claypool is Les Claypool.

8 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Just got my notification for next weeks Free At Noon show at World Cafe Live, The Claypool Lennon Delerium.  That should be an great time, not crazy about Sean Lennon, but the stuff he has put out together with Les Claypool is really interesting stuff, and well, Les Claypool is Les Claypool.

The Claypool Lennon Delerium is awesome stuff!!!  Super jealous.  Please post a review, thanks, Pooj!

https://buffalonews.com/2019/04/10/the-struts-the-glorious-sons-to-saunter-to-canalside-this-summer/

On the heels of Incubus and the Psychedelic Furs - the two previous announcements for the 2019 Canalside Live Concert Series - a powerful double bill has been unveiled for this summer by the water.

The Struts, an English glam-rock band, will be complemented by rapidly rising The Glorious Sons on July 25 at Canalside (44 Prime St.). VIP tickets are on sale now for $35, while general admission tickets - just $5 - will be available at 10 a.m. April 12, also through Eventbrite or at Consumer's Beverages locations and the Canalside info kiosk.

Freddie Mercury-esque frontman Luke Spiller and the rest of The Struts are regulars in the Buffalo area, playing Rapids Theatre each of the last two years. See Smiles from the local fans from 2018 and 2017, plus a photo gallery dedicated to band shots in 2017. Esquire's interview with The Struts last month - entitled "The Struts Are the Glam-Rock Style Gods We Need Right Now" - gives a sense of the band's M.O.

The Glorious Sons, from Kingston, Ont, is a more recent arrival to the scene, selling out Rec Room in February. Those fans were treated to frontman Brett Emmons donning a retro Thurman Thomas Bills jersey on stage during a sweat-drenched set. The band's last full release was 2017's "Young Beauties and Fools," which included mega-hit single "S.O.S." that earned the five-piece a new wave of fans.

27 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

@Gugny I've decided I'm gonna go to the Godsmack show up in GF.  Tickets are reasonable and they put on a good show, why not.

Presale is tomorrow (4/11) at 10.  Code:  GS2019.  https://ev11.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=GODSMACK&linkID=global-gf&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode

• Thank you (+1) 1