Summer 2019 Concerts/Shows

LeviF

14 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Tedeschi Trucks band is my favorite; been following Derek for over 20 years and I'm convinced he's the best guitarist of his generation.  Really grown to love Susan, she brings it every single night.   TTB x 2 at Red Rocks this July. 

Also seeing Nick Mason tomorrow night (ok a spring show), The Who (don't care if they're old I'll take every opportunity I can get to see them), and Rodrigo y Gabriela who are a really spectacular duo who mix Spanish guitar with all kinds of music including heavy metal - very unique

Derek Trucks is great, I have seen him with the Allman Bros a few times and a couple times with Tedeschi Trucks Band. Have fun.

Thanx for the heads up on The Who, one of my favorites since I was a kid and I didn't know they were on tour. I 'll have to wait til Seattle and Vanc. BC in October. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I did see Zac Brown last year, they were great. Does not surprise the rest of your picks are just god awful

Would you approve of Tony Bennett and Tom Jones? Highlight of my summer plans! 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Rico said:

Just skimmed thru Songkick, there’s not a show I want to see or drop the coin on. Mott the Hoople is the only one I would consider, just to say I saw them.

I for sure would check that one out, even if its just Hunter with a "cover band"... not sure who's left.

Saw Hunter and Rundgren at the now defunct Agora Ballroom in Tampa years ago... it was tables and wound up getting one 12' or so from the stage.

• Like (+1) 1

Saw Zac Brown last week. Went because I snagged some $11 tickets and my wife liked him. Gotta say, I've always like the few songs I know, but this show made me a fan. It was after the rodeo, so those shows are only about an hour to an hour and a half long. But he played all of his originals, and threw in Whipping Post, Devil Went Down to Georgia, and Enter Sandman. Also, broke into a single verse of Take it to the Limit, before going back into his own. 

Saw Chris Stapleton last week as well.

Saw Gary Mullen & The Works (Queen Tribute) on Friday. You'd have thought it was Freddie Mercury. 

Wife got me floor seats for The Stones next month at NRG. 

Sitting 12th row for Weird Al in June. He's doing this tour with a full orchestra. 

Other shows I plan on possibly attending. Buddy Guy next weekend. Bob Seger in May. Queen + Adam Lambert in June. 

2 hours ago, T&C said:

I for sure would check that one out, even if its just Hunter with a "cover band"... not sure who's left.

Saw Hunter and Rundgren at the now defunct Agora Ballroom in Tampa years ago... it was tables and wound up getting one 12' or so from the stage.

https://mottthehoople.com/classof74/

It's Hunter, Ariel Bender, and Morgan Fisher, not very inspiring IMO...Hunter turning 80 in 3 months & $120+ for good tickets (if there are any left) in my closest show near Philly doesn't help either.

The show you were at sounds great, congrats! I saw Todd last year with Utopia at the Tower, good seats were like $55 or so, nice show.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:04 PM, LeviF91 said:

The Woodstock 50 thread got me thinking about the shows I want to see this summer.  Living in the Albany area the local scene is pretty good and we get some bigger acts that come to SPAC.  So far I'm planning on seeing:

Knotfest w/ Volbeat, Gojira, and Behemoth

Tedeschi Trucks

KISS

Zac Brown Band

and possibly Skynyrd. though two nights in a row (Zac Brown night one) might be a bit much for me.

Plus any number of smaller and/or local bands that'll play my favorite watering holes.

Gonna hit at least one festival this year.  My buddy got passes to Warped Tour in AC, we have to see about Woodstock 50.  Maybe take a road trip to Summerfest or something cool like that.

What do y'all have planned?  Anything in New York/PA/tri-state that you recommend?

Going to the Experience Hendrix show on 4/3 at the Palace.  Caught this the last time they were around and it was phenomenal.  Will miss not having KWS in the lineup, but I still expect it to be great.  Bringing Lil' Gug to this one.

Also, Slipknot (Volbeat, Gojira, and Behemoth) in August at SPAC (see you there??).  This one is obviously for Lil' Gug, although when I brought him to see Slipknot at SPAC four years ago, I enjoyed it.  And I like Volbeat's music/sound - so this should be a good show.

I have no interest in the "Woodstock" thing at Watkins Glen.  Jay Z and Pus-sy Riot don't scream "three days of peace, love and music" to me.  I'm gonna keep my eye on what's going on in Bethel and will likely go there for a more appropriate honoring of the original festival.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Going to the Experience Hendrix show on 4/3 at the Palace.  Caught this the last time they were around and it was phenomenal.  Will miss not having KWS in the lineup, but I still expect it to be great.  Bringing Lil' Gug to this one.

Also, Slipknot (Volbeat, Gojira, and Behemoth) in August at SPAC (see you there??).  This one is obviously for Lil' Gug, although when I brought him to see Slipknot at SPAC four years ago, I enjoyed it.  And I like Volbeat's music/sound - so this should be a good show.

I have no interest in the "Woodstock" thing at Watkins Glen.  Jay Z and Pus-sy Riot don't scream "three days of peace, love and music" to me.  I'm gonna keep my eye on what's going on in Bethel and will likely go there for a more appropriate honoring of the original festival.

We'll keep in touch about knotfest. I'll probably get an actual seat because I hate the lawn now that I'm older. 

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

We'll keep in touch about knotfest. I'll probably get an actual seat because I hate the lawn now that I'm older. 

I refuse to do lawn seats for any show.  We're in Section 7.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/20/2019 at 4:12 PM, WhoTom said:

Oh, and we just scored free tickets to a Grateful Dead tribute at the House of Blues in Chicago.

The band was called Live Dead '69, and their keyboard player is Tom Constanten, who played keyboard for the Grateful Dead in the late 60s. (He's the only "official" GD keyboard player who's still alive.) Their first set was a replication of the Dead's Woodstock performance. Second set was also 60s material. The two guitarists were excellent, and the rest of the band was good too. I'm partial to the 70s era of Dead music, but I still enjoyed the performance.

The opening act was called The Who's Who, and as a huge fan of The Who, I was impressed. We got there early enough to stand in front, where we had the best "seat" in the house: directly in front of the bass player. This guy was amazing - he captured all the energy and driving force of John Entwistle, including the little nuances that John frequently added to a song. The lead singer dressed like Daltrey, albeit without Roger's six pack. (It was more like a quarter keg.) But his voice was decent and he did the whole dancing and mic swinging bit. The lead guitarist featured some windmills in a respectable Townshend imitation and the drummer wasn't bad, for someone who's not Keith Moon (or Zak Starkey).

We've been to the House of Blues in Chicago twice, and both times were great. The staff is very friendly and professional. It's a cool venue to see a show, if you're ever in the area.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Seeing Muse in Toronto next Thursday.

Got tix for:
Greta Van Fleet
Iron Maiden

Live/Bush/Our Lady Peace
Sarah McLachlan

Nice lineup!  I'm sure Muse will be incredible.  Looking forward to your reviews/videos!

On 3/20/2019 at 4:23 PM, coloradobillsfan said:

Also seeing Nick Mason tomorrow night (ok a spring show)

This show was fantastic last night!  If you are a fan of early Pink Floyd you simply cannot miss this tour - the set list was a dream! and the band is a very talented unit.  They will be in Buffalo at Shea's on April 11th and I highly encourage all real PF fans to catch what might be your only opportunity.  No re-hashing Money /Comfy Numb / Another Brick in the Wall for the millionth time but instead a thorough exploration of both the Syd Barrett era and the years pre-Dark Side.  Simply wonderful!

• Like (+1) 1