Tackle at #9, Dawkins to LG

45 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Very good chance we'll have the chance to choose the #1 OL on their board. If they are very high on a specific player , then pull the trigger. Set up a potentially elite OL.

Just get the best 5 out there, Jawann Taylor - Dawkins - Morse - Long/Teller - Ty 

You also have excellent depth and versatility . Ty, Dawkins, Long can each play multiple positions. 

At the same time , I want BPA if they are significantly higher on their board

If we drafted Jawaan Taylor, the best five would likely be Dawkins - Long - Morse - Ty/Feliciano - Taylor, IMO.

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We would only regret if if the player we took didnt pan out and Oliver did.  If we pass on Oliver and take a guy that goes on to be a good or better player, no one will care we passed on Oliver even if Oliver becomes a good player.

Also, DT is getting over valued for some reason.  Rams defense sucked the entire season and they have the best DT the NFL has seen in a decade on it.  They also had a pretty good DT next to him too in Suh.  Rams defense was total garbage.  Bills on the other hand had a struggling offense that put pressure on the D yet still fielded the #2 ranked defense with average DT's.  

To be clear, I am totally fine taking Oliver at 9, nothing against him.  But the DT need is getting a bit over hyped and I also think people are once again failing to look at and understand Beane.  We already drafted the heir apparent to Kyle last year who Beane and McD both really like.  Plus they like Jordan a lot too who can rotate in.  

IMO, both Oliver and Wilkins will be on the board at 9 and we will not see them in a Bills uniform next year.  EDGE rusher is a much bigger need and so is getting Josh a high level weapon or stud anchor on the line.  We signed several solid offensive additions, love all the signings...but we didn't really add that individual difference maker to the offense.  

I don't think so many people are saying that DT is a need. More that DT is the strength of this draft near the top, and thus that if we stay at #9, the BPA is likely to be a DT, and that while DT isn't a hole, it's definitely an area where if we draft one at #9 we would be strengthening the team.

I hear you when you say you are fine with Oliver. I just think if he's still there the chances are pretty decent he would be BPA, though I agree with you that edge rusher is a bigger need.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

If we drafted Jawaan Taylor, the best five would likely be Dawkins - Long - Morse - Ty/Feliciano - Taylor, IMO.

I agree . Except I'd have Ty at LT and Dawkins at LG if Taylor is at RT. Ty is much better than Feliciano and graded out very well at LT.

Rookie/Ty-Dawkins-Morse-Long-Rookie/Ty is a very very strong 5 with serious potential. Massive upgrade from 2018

Drafting for a certain position instead of BPA is inane.  That's what got us in the position we're in in the first place.  There's not really any Olinemen in this draft worth better than 9 other players.  If you draft for need, you end with decent players that are not resigned after their contract is up, instead of star players with the organization for a decade plus.  Draft your star players as they come to you instead of reaching, and use FA and later draft picks to fill in around them.  You draft for need, you end up still needing to fill that position the next year and the year after, and the year after, and the player is gone the year after that.  It's what got us C.J. Spiller instead of Earl Thomas, Marcell Dareus instead of A.J. Green, Julio Jones, or Patrick Peterson, Sammy Watkins instead of Khalil Mack, Aaron Maybin instead of Clay Mathews, etc.  The draft isn't where you fill needs.  It's where you get and develop stars.  There are better players at 9 than O-linemen.  And just because those better players aren't at a position of need THIS YEAR, doesn't mean they won't be at one NEXT YEAR.  Load up on the best players you can, get as many blue chip players as you can, things will fall into place.

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We would only regret if if the player we took didnt pan out and Oliver did.  If we pass on Oliver and take a guy that goes on to be a good or better player, no one will care we passed on Oliver even if Oliver becomes a good player.

Also, DT is getting over valued for some reason.  Rams defense sucked the entire season and they have the best DT the NFL has seen in a decade on it.  They also had a pretty good DT next to him too in Suh.  Rams defense was total garbage.  Bills on the other hand had a struggling offense that put pressure on the D yet still fielded the #2 ranked defense with average DT's.  

To be clear, I am totally fine taking Oliver at 9, nothing against him.  But the DT need is getting a bit over hyped and I also think people are once again failing to look at and understand Beane.  We already drafted the heir apparent to Kyle last year who Beane and McD both really like.  Plus they like Jordan a lot too who can rotate in.  

IMO, both Oliver and Wilkins will be on the board at 9 and we will not see them in a Bills uniform next year.  EDGE rusher is a much bigger need and so is getting Josh a high level weapon or stud anchor on the line.  We signed several solid offensive additions, love all the signings...but we didn't really add that individual difference maker to the offense.  

I don't think Beane will care what the need is. I think he will draft the best player. He has done his need filling in FA. 

14 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

Nsekhe, Dawkins, Morse, Long, #9 draft pick.  That is the best way we could turn our biggest weakness from last year into a strength.  I get we could use help on the Dline.  What needs more overall help our offense with a second year QB or a #2 ranked defense?

Then I would like to see DE in the second and TE in the 3rd.  I don’t see much of a need ar WR after the contracts we just gave out. 

Leave Dawkins alone. And put a real LG next to him. 

15 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

Nsekhe, Dawkins, Morse, Long, #9 draft pick.  That is the best way we could turn our biggest weakness from last year into a strength.  I get we could use help on the Dline.  What needs more overall help our offense with a second year QB or a #2 ranked defense?

Then I would like to see DE in the second and TE in the 3rd.  I don’t see much of a need ar WR after the contracts we just gave out. 

I think penciling in Nsekhe, a career backup, as a playoff caliber LT is too optimistic. I would be happy if he can just be a moderate improvement at RT, which isn't guaranteed IMO. Not to mention that Dawkins will bolt the minute his contract is up if he is asked to switch to guard.

17 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

And even then it had difficulty stopping the run in several games.

The rookie mlb we had is not a run plugger in a classic sense.  That is a big part of the problem stopping the run, and why I think TE may end up on the outside.  He doesn't like to stick his head in there......

12 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

The more I think about it, Oakland makes more sense. I was at that game and after a slow start, we started GASHING them running left. I distinctly remember him dominating at LG even if I can't recall the specific drive/game. He LOOKS like an LG. I think he's serviceable at LT, which is a premium position, but could be dominant at LG. If the opportunity presents itself to acquire a top tier LT, I would love to see that tackle paired up with Dawkins at LG.

Dillard is probably the best potential LT. I still take Oliver at #9, but I do think Dawkins can be a great LG.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I think that for a GM to decide a month ahead of time what positions he is going to address in each of the top three rounds si one of the quickest ways he can find himself out of a job.  If doing so is evidence of a GMs stupidity (and I absolutely believe it is), then for me to try and do the same as a fan would make me look pretty dumb.  Hence, I don't bother to try.  Left tackle at #9 is a possibility.  The obvious choice for that IMO is Andre Dawkins, who is a quintessential left tackle.  Jawaan Taylor is primarily a right tackle.  I like him, but if I'm targeting a left tackle (which I'm not) Dillard is my guy.   There is some depth at both defensive end and tight end.  I do think the Bills will want to address defensive tackle and linebacker depth before they get too deep into the draft. There's not a lot of depth at those spots.

Lol....trade away TT and not bring Preston Brown back nor sign a MLB in free agency. Pretty sure Beane decided months before last years draft what positions he was drafting. 

And Im fairly certain he has decided that of these four positions TE, edge, OT, DT, three will be drafted in top three rounds if not all four with a trade down.

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Lol....trade away TT and not bring Preston Brown back nor sign a MLB in free agency. Pretty sure Beane decided months before last years draft what positions he was drafting. 

And Im fairly certain he has decided that of these four positions TE, edge, OT, DT, three will be drafted in top three rounds if not all four with a trade down.

I can actually see Beane taking Oliver at #9, trading up from #40 into the end of round one if Dillard is available. 

18 hours ago, mjt328 said:

The more I examine the roster and our recent additions, I agree that we still need to draft another O-Lineman high.

We are set at center with Mitch Morse, and we need to have confidence that Dion Dawkins returns to form after a sophomore slump.  I think that Ty Nsekhe will be a significant upgrade over Jordan Mills, but he's already 34 and can't be counted on as a long-term answer.  We added some nice competition at the guard position, but neither Spencer Long or Jon Feliciano are guaranteed upgrades.  And we have no idea whether Wyatt Teller will develop.

I'm comfortable enough in our additions at Wide Receiver to let things play out, and we don't need to draft anyone else high.

Our biggest remaining needs (in order):

1. Tight End

2.  Offensive Line

3.  Defensive Tackle/3-Tech

4.  Defensive End

Why do you think Nsekhe will be significantly better than Millstone? He is 5 years older and mostly been journeyman back up his career.  I am not even convinced he is as good as Mills.

18 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

17 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I've always thought Dawkins could develop into one of the top guards in the game if given the chance.  I'd love to be able to move him over there if we have two capable tackles.

Could you guys please explain what it is about Dawkins and his play through college that leads you to believe he could become an effective pulling guard in the NFL?

I do know that he played guard in the Senior Bowl and was evaluated as both a guard and a tackle by pre draft pundits.

Thanks. 

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Why do you think Nsekhe will be significantly better than Millstone? He is 5 years older and mostly been journeyman back up his career.  I am not even convinced he is as good as Mills.

I'll say this...yes he's older. No, he hasn't been a full time starter. Idk how their grades compare. But watching his tape, he does more than Mills ever could...and aggressively. I'd say its an upgrade,and a stopgap. Ideally, he'll be our swing tackle. If not, he can start and still be an upgrade

Folks, we have posting guidelines for the OP to stay with threads they start. Doing so precludes Fly By Turd Dropping threads. There’s great discussion going on in this thread of how we should address the Draft. I hate to kill it, but not doing so encourages our not so bright FBTD crowd. 

For this thread specifically, I’ll let y’all decide.

30 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Your penchant to close posts that have traction and everyone is playing nice, especially during a slow period is disturbing. 4 pages of good discussion, and the OP may be at work, but enough others have argued both sides including the OP’s IMO. Shhh relax.

On topic I am in the BPA corner.

The whole line will play better with Morse. In the videos Ty looks to handle slower bull rush players better than speed. Handled Clowney well, the few snaps against players with speed and moves less so, that would translate to RT better. Hoping new coach can elevate all.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

Nsekhe and Long plated together in Washington so they should be on the same side. 

There's a reason they've signed so many OL this off-season. They want guys with experience because almost all of the college OL players coming out have little to no experience in putting their hand in the dirt. Beane talked about that last year during a pre-season game, how it's taking a lot longer to coach these guys up once they enter the league. I'm not saying that  this would deter them from ever drafting OL in the first few rounds (they already have with Dawkins) but I think for this season they're going to roll with more experienced players. And that's good for Allen, hopefully they can settle their starting five early in camp and let them come together and take care of things up front and hopefully give Allen a little less to worry about.

And on Dawkins... I'll say what I said about Edmunds when people keep thinking he should move outside. They haven't spent two seasons coaching Dawkins up to be their LT just to move him inside. Why would they replace him with an inexperienced rookie when they've already got two full seasons of working with Dawkins? Unless the OL prospect is some kind of generational/can't miss kind of talent, they're leaving Dawkins where he's at. 

• Like (+1) 1