Tackle at #9, Dawkins to LG

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

No need to move Dawkins.

Dawkins/Teller/Morse/Long/Nsekhe

Yes, a likely scenario, but I still would prefer to see the Bills get a great tackle this year. I want this line to be considered one of the best in the league this year as that will mean the offense can be playoff caliber.  After this year I believe that the Bills will be picking in the 2nd half of the first round and great tackles almost always go very early.

Great tackle in the first and running back in the second, please.  Defense for most of the rest, with a possible tight end as well.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

The more I examine the roster and our recent additions, I agree that we still need to draft another O-Lineman high.

We are set at center with Mitch Morse, and we need to have confidence that Dion Dawkins returns to form after a sophomore slump.  I think that Ty Nsekhe will be a significant upgrade over Jordan Mills, but he's already 34 and can't be counted on as a long-term answer.  We added some nice competition at the guard position, but neither Spencer Long or Jon Feliciano are guaranteed upgrades.  And we have no idea whether Wyatt Teller will develop.

I'm comfortable enough in our additions at Wide Receiver to let things play out, and we don't need to draft anyone else high.

Our biggest remaining needs (in order):

1. Tight End

2.  Offensive Line

3.  Defensive Tackle/3-Tech

4.  Defensive End

Needs-TE

Upgrades-Anywhere but QB

(DT would be a very wise upgrade)

With that being said, BPA

Edited by formerlyofCtown

2 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

It seems like folks always want to move the LT to G in Buffalo.  If a LT is BPA at 9, then fine.  It will most likely not be.  Let's Also not take a college LT who is projected to G at 9.

Glenn was solid, but Dawkins seems really slow off the snap and needs a lot of help. I'd prefer him in a position where speed guys can't just run around him.

39 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Yes, a likely scenario, but I still would prefer to see the Bills get a great tackle this year. I want this line to be considered one of the best in the league this year as that will mean the offense can be playoff caliber.  After this year I believe that the Bills will be picking in the 2nd half of the first round and great tackles almost always go very early.

Great tackle in the first and running back in the second, please.  Defense for most of the rest, with a possible tight end as well.

Fair enough, however, I don’t think any of the OT’s this year are worthy of the #9 overall pick.  Jonah Williams is an OG in the NFL according to most scouting reports I’ve seen.  I’ve see Jawaan Taylor projected in the top 10, and I like his game, but I don’t know if he’ll be close to BPA at 9.

Which OT would you take at 9?  I think the best value is likely going to be at DT/Edge.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

The #2 ranked defense featured a Pro Bowl level 3T. Without a quality player at that critical position, there is no guarantee that the defense will remain #2 overall or close.

Maintaining an elite defense helps a young QB, as well. 

I don't think you necessarily have to replace the 3T DT with a pro bowl level player, but I do think you have to add a pass rusher to sustain or even improve what they had last season.

In other words, what you ultimately want from that DT is a pass rush presence. If you improve the pass rush from a different spot, it still works.

That being said, I'd have no problem with Ed Oliver at 9. The problem with "take an LT at 9" is that there's a great chance an LT worthy of that pick won't be there. You never wanna "press" on a top 10 pick.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Fair enough, however, I don’t think any of the OT’s this year are worthy of the #9 overall pick.  Jonah Williams is an OG in the NFL according to most scouting reports I’ve seen.  I’ve see Jawaan Taylor projected in the top 10, and I like his game, but I don’t know if he’ll be close to BPA at 9.

Which OT would you take at 9?  I think the best value is likely going to be at DT/Edge.

Right. The draft is not some video game where a great LT is available and you get to choose the position in which you want to add an elite player.

There is a zero percent chance that any of the tackles in this draft would come in and be better than Dion Dawkins. He had an up and down year. You have to let the guy redeem himself. All that potential he flashed isn't gone. The worst thing to do to your young quarterback is to stick a rookie at left tackle. 

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

There is a zero percent chance that any of the tackles in this draft would come in and be better than Dion Dawkins. He had an up and down year. You have to let the guy redeem himself. All that potential he flashed isn't gone. The worst thing to do to your young quarterback is to stick a rookie at left tackle. 

Yeah we vary on the quality of play Dawkins has shown as a LT............but I agree that if you aren't going to start Dawkins at LT you start Nsekhe, not a rookie.

McDermott has been willing to put rookies in spots where they might struggle in his first two years as HC.........and most of them have actually played well under the circumstances.........but in year 3 I expect less willingness to risk team success for longer term player development.  

• Like (+1) 3

I'd say we still need a starting G and RT. Lots of question marks still. Are the FA pickups solid backup's or starter material? Will Teller progress or regress? I wouldn't move Dawkins at all imo.

I'd say the biggest need is pass rusher, other than Hughes there is nobody. Murphy is paid to be but hasn't panned out yet. Wether it's a LB , DE or DT we need a pass rusher bad.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah we vary on the quality of play Dawkins has shown as a LT............but I agree that if you aren't going to start Dawkins at LT you start Nsekhe, not a rookie.

McDermott has been willing to put rookies in spots where they might struggle in his first two years as HC.........and most of them have actually played well under the circumstances.........but in year 3 I expect less willingness to risk team success for longer term player development.  

Gotcha. The idea of having Nsehke there makes sense and could understand that rationale. The rookie idea i can't. 

2 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Not sure why no one is mentioning that we desperately need a linebacker.  Our starters are good but we have ZERO depth.

Yes, we need depth, but not in the first round.  There are more impactful players available at more pressing areas of need like OL, DL, and TE.  

2 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Not sure why no one is mentioning that we desperately need a linebacker.  Our starters are good but we have ZERO depth.

And Milano is coming off of a late season injury. It's not a given he'll be 100% at the start of the season.

I think that for a GM to decide a month ahead of time what positions he is going to address in each of the top three rounds si one of the quickest ways he can find himself out of a job.  If doing so is evidence of a GMs stupidity (and I absolutely believe it is), then for me to try and do the same as a fan would make me look pretty dumb.  Hence, I don't bother to try.  Left tackle at #9 is a possibility.  The obvious choice for that IMO is Andre Dawkins, who is a quintessential left tackle.  Jawaan Taylor is primarily a right tackle.  I like him, but if I'm targeting a left tackle (which I'm not) Dillard is my guy.   There is some depth at both defensive end and tight end.  I do think the Bills will want to address defensive tackle and linebacker depth before they get too deep into the draft. There's not a lot of depth at those spots.

LT Dawkins LG Feliciano OC Morse RG Long RT Nsekhe – presumed line-up with no additions

LT Nsekhe LG Rookie OC Morse RG Long RT Dawkins – rookie starts over Feliciano,  either Jonah or Ford

LT Nsekhe LG Dawkins OC Morse RG Long RT Rookie RT easiest to fill via draft, Jawaan Taylor appears consensus RT1

LT Dillard LG Nsekhe OC Morse RG Long RT Dawkins – Dillard is the only certain LT in round 1

I think Long is certain to be RG, Morse 100% at Center, Dawkins and Nsekhe are tackles unless Dillard or a RT is drafted.

For some reason I prefer the Rookie not to play next to Dawkins. Interesting camp battle Teller vs Feliciano.

Pick 9 is probably too high for Dillard but I cannot see any other round 1 player as being a certain LT. Given the scarcity he should be considered.

Is a David Edwards or a Kaleb McGary better than Feliciano? Risner could slip to us at 40, Lindstrom could as well.

If Hockenson is rated so well as a blocker, he appears a legitimate choice, with one of Risner/Edwards/McGary in round 2.