Tackle at #9, Dawkins to LG

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Again, fair enough...why I asked the question.

My take on Dawkins is that he did a serviceable job in relief of Glenn in 2017, which led to Glenn being seen as expendable (and possibly also not a great fit for Castillo)

I think he looked less serviceable next to the questionmark that was Ducasse and the revolving door of Groy/Bodine/Groy at center than he looked next to two steady vets in Cog and Wood, so maybe with upgrades at LG and center he'd return to serviceable.

I had not realized he had such an extensive pedigree at LG.

I think Dawkins was graded on a rookie curve at LT in 2017.    He was OK but I didn't really see him as comparable to Glenn and really didn't like the idea of moving Glenn to hand him the job knowing that a rookie QB would likely be starting by midseason..    Having weak guard and center play didn't help but it seemed like he just wasn't up to the task.    

I dont see a LT prospect in the draft that is better week 1 at LT than Dawkins.  Unless I'm missing something Williams is projecting better as a guard, Taylor is a RT, and Risner is good but didn't face elite competition.  Those dont sound like top 10 picks to me.  If Buffalo trades down or trades back into the first I understand the picks more.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Disagree. 

The best five players doesn't by any means always make the best line.

Plenty of guys are good at one position and not so good at others. And some positions are more important - LT certainly more than LG for instance - and should generally get the best guy at playing LT, which is very likely going to be Dawkins, IMO.

Fortunately all of our lineman have position flexibility, so the best 5 will play.

9 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Best combination of 5 is what I said (several times).

Maybe Dawkins is the best LT on the team, but looking at his overall body of work at LT versus Nsehke's overall body of work at LT, it's not exactly conclusive.

The other component is that Nsehke's best position is clearly LT--he's not nearly as good at LG, and is a bit less comfortable at RT. Given that Dawkins' best position may potentially be LG, the staff needs to weigh the advantages of all situations.

It's entirely possible that Dawkins at LT and Nsehke at RT gives them the best combination; it's also possible that they may get a better combination with a slight step down at LT in Nsehke (assuming he's even a step down, which his work at LT hasn't been to this point) and Dawkins at LG.

All options should be on the table IMO

Completely agree with this approach.

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Disagree. 

The best five players doesn't by any means always make the best line.

Plenty of guys are good at one position and not so good at others. And some positions are more important - LT certainly more than LG for instance - and should generally get the best guy at playing LT, which is very likely going to be Dawkins, IMO.

My sentiments exactly.