Tackle at #9, Dawkins to LG

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

And Milano is coming off of a late season injury. It's not a given he'll be 100% at the start of the season.

we can grab a lb in the third that can start with these guys or get a guy cut in camp to come in and play. 

I don't like any of this year's OT's at 9. Maybe if we trade back into the back half of the 1st round we could get good value for one. Just take BPA. I hope it's Ed Oliver. Then maybe we get a good value at OT in round 2. There are a lot of good OT's in this draft, but no great ones. I'd like Lindstrom too -- great technique and no real weaknesses in his game.

4 hours ago, mjt328 said:

The more I examine the roster and our recent additions, I agree that we still need to draft another O-Lineman high.

We are set at center with Mitch Morse, and we need to have confidence that Dion Dawkins returns to form after a sophomore slump.  I think that Ty Nsekhe will be a significant upgrade over Jordan Mills, but he's already 34 and can't be counted on as a long-term answer.  We added some nice competition at the guard position, but neither Spencer Long or Jon Feliciano are guaranteed upgrades.  And we have no idea whether Wyatt Teller will develop.

I'm comfortable enough in our additions at Wide Receiver to let things play out, and we don't need to draft anyone else high.

Our biggest remaining needs (in order):

1. Tight End

2.  Offensive Line

3.  Defensive Tackle/3-Tech

4.  Defensive End

LB could use some help.

4 hours ago, Logic said:

The #2 ranked defense featured a Pro Bowl level 3T. Without a quality player at that critical position, there is no guarantee that the defense will remain #2 overall or close.

Maintaining an elite defense helps a young QB, as well. 

I get what you are saying...BUT...

The defense was #2 in the NFL despite playing a third of the season with a putrid offense and losing Milano.  Helping the offense and getting Milano back will also take pressure off the defense.  Plus, Oliver and Wilkins are getting a bit over hyped as if they have no risk.  They are not the same prospect as Quennin Williams.  I do agree we will absolutely add a DT or 2 between now and OTA's...but I just dont think it will be with the 9th pick.  

They drafted Harrison to specifically replace Kyle and he has yet to get the opportunity.  Plus they resigned Jordan.  I really don't think Beane is as concerned about the DT as many believe he is.  And Kyle was in the last year of his career, he wasn't the "Pro Bowl" version of Kyle last year.  Thats one thing people keep forgetting.  

Irony is I see people talking about how bad our DT's were last year, then also ironically talk about how hard it will be to replace Kyle.  Biggest loss with Kyle is his leadership.  He was solid, not great when he retired in terms of a DT.  Both Jordan and Harrison have the potential to replace the level of play we got out of Kyle last year.  

Honestly, if we make zero additions to the Defense right now, it will most likely still be better than last year.  Milano is back, Edmunds has a season under his belt, and the secondary has the depth back.  I really don't see anything about our D that is in crisis mode.  

For me...Oliver and Wilkins will be on the board at 9...neither will be picked by the Bills.  We will either trade down if we can...or we will take an EDGE, DK, TJ or OL.  And I suspect as we get closer to the draft this will start to narrow down more.  

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Could be wrong but I believe it was TB week 7. 

I was about to say it was either Tampa or Oakland. There were a handful of snaps in another game again when Richie was dinged as well. But the drive where he came in and killed it was in that spell where we beat Oakland and Tampa. We couldn't run the ball at all early, Richie went down on the 1st or 2nd play of a drive... Dawkins came in at LG for the drive and we ran it down their throats went 60+ yards and scored. 

35 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get what you are saying...BUT...

The defense was #2 in the NFL despite playing a third of the season with a putrid offense and losing Milano.  Helping the offense and getting Milano back will also take pressure off the defense.  Plus, Oliver and Wilkins are getting a bit over hyped as if they have no risk.  They are not the same prospect as Quennin Williams.  I do agree we will absolutely add a DT or 2 between now and OTA's...but I just dont think it will be with the 9th pick.  

They drafted Harrison to specifically replace Kyle and he has yet to get the opportunity.  Plus they resigned Jordan.  I really don't think Beane is as concerned about the DT as many believe he is.  And Kyle was in the last year of his career, he wasn't the "Pro Bowl" version of Kyle last year.  Thats one thing people keep forgetting.  

Irony is I see people talking about how bad our DT's were last year, then also ironically talk about how hard it will be to replace Kyle.  Biggest loss with Kyle is his leadership.  He was solid, not great when he retired in terms of a DT.  Both Jordan and Harrison have the potential to replace the level of play we got out of Kyle last year.  

Honestly, if we make zero additions to the Defense right now, it will most likely still be better than last year.  Milano is back, Edmunds has a season under his belt, and the secondary has the depth back.  I really don't see anything about our D that is in crisis mode.  

For me...Oliver and Wilkins will be on the board at 9...neither will be picked by the Bills.  We will either trade down if we can...or we will take an EDGE, DK, TJ or OL.  And I suspect as we get closer to the draft this will start to narrow down more.  

If we pass on Ed Oliver I think that is a mistake. He is one of the elite players in this draft. Wilkins I am high on but yea I can see the reasons for going elsewhere. If we pass on Ed Oliver we will regret it. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mjt328 said:

The more I examine the roster and our recent additions, I agree that we still need to draft another O-Lineman high.

We are set at center with Mitch Morse, and we need to have confidence that Dion Dawkins returns to form after a sophomore slump.  I think that Ty Nsekhe will be a significant upgrade over Jordan Mills, but he's already 34 and can't be counted on as a long-term answer.  We added some nice competition at the guard position, but neither Spencer Long or Jon Feliciano are guaranteed upgrades.  And we have no idea whether Wyatt Teller will develop.

I'm comfortable enough in our additions at Wide Receiver to let things play out, and we don't need to draft anyone else high.

Our biggest remaining needs (in order):

1. Tight End

2.  Offensive Line

3.  Defensive Tackle/3-Tech

4.  Defensive End

So what if Nsekhe is 34, can't he start one year and we find a new starter next year?  The guy doesn't have a lot of wear and tear on his body, he is a monstrously sized tackle that can hold it down for this year.  We have other needs too, no need to reach.  Who is playing the 3 tech on the line? That's a big question mark.  We need a more dominant pass rushing presence and Oliver could be that option.  Devin White would be hard to pass up pairing with Milano and Edmunds.  Just take the best player.

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I was about to say it was either Tampa or Oakland. There were a handful of snaps in another game again when Richie was dinged as well. But the drive where he came in and killed it was in that spell where we beat Oakland and Tampa. We couldn't run the ball at all early, Richie went down on the 1st or 2nd play of a drive... Dawkins came in at LG for the drive and we ran it down their throats went 60+ yards and scored. 

The more I think about it, Oakland makes more sense. I was at that game and after a slow start, we started GASHING them running left. I distinctly remember him dominating at LG even if I can't recall the specific drive/game. He LOOKS like an LG. I think he's serviceable at LT, which is a premium position, but could be dominant at LG. If the opportunity presents itself to acquire a top tier LT, I would love to see that tackle paired up with Dawkins at LG.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm sick of seeing the Bills not being able to stop the run!  BPA at 9 will almost certainly be defensive line.  Bosa-Williams-Oliver-Wilkins-Gary I would like with our first pick.  If not those 5-Jawaan Taylor-Hotchinson-White-DK.  There- that is 9 players that would start, and certainly 1-3 QB's will be drafted pre pick 9, so we will have choices.  I prefer depth of OL vs DT.  Chris Lindstrom with our second pick(hopefully after a trade back) I would dig.    Then we can trade up from 3rd round 9 slot and secure our TE-  Alize Mack, Josh Oliver, Jace Sternberger we might have a shot at.

So 3 picks, we have starters at 3 tech, G, and TE- and we have 7 selections were we can look for depth at LB, RB, WR, CB, S, T and special teams.  These picks if done right, stack the roster 1-53 

The only guy that seems to represent value is Taylor and I have some reservations about his ability to play LT in the NFL. It's also probably more likely than not that he'll be gone at 9.

That's the conundrum. If Little or someone else were slightly better prospects, it would be a no brainer.

Edited by LSHMEAB

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If we pass on Ed Oliver I think that is a mistake. He is one of the elite players in this draft. Wilkins I am high on but yea I can see the reasons for going elsewhere. If we pass on Ed Oliver we will regret it. 

We would only regret if if the player we took didnt pan out and Oliver did.  If we pass on Oliver and take a guy that goes on to be a good or better player, no one will care we passed on Oliver even if Oliver becomes a good player.

Also, DT is getting over valued for some reason.  Rams defense sucked the entire season and they have the best DT the NFL has seen in a decade on it.  They also had a pretty good DT next to him too in Suh.  Rams defense was total garbage.  Bills on the other hand had a struggling offense that put pressure on the D yet still fielded the #2 ranked defense with average DT's.  

To be clear, I am totally fine taking Oliver at 9, nothing against him.  But the DT need is getting a bit over hyped and I also think people are once again failing to look at and understand Beane.  We already drafted the heir apparent to Kyle last year who Beane and McD both really like.  Plus they like Jordan a lot too who can rotate in.  

IMO, both Oliver and Wilkins will be on the board at 9 and we will not see them in a Bills uniform next year.  EDGE rusher is a much bigger need and so is getting Josh a high level weapon or stud anchor on the line.  We signed several solid offensive additions, love all the signings...but we didn't really add that individual difference maker to the offense.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

9 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

Nsekhe, Dawkins, Morse, Long, #9 draft pick.  That is the best way we could turn our biggest weakness from last year into a strength.  I get we could use help on the Dline.  What needs more overall help our offense with a second year QB or a #2 ranked defense?

Then I would like to see DE in the second and TE in the 3rd.  I don’t see much of a need ar WR after the contracts we just gave out. 

Trade back w/ Wash to 14 (get 2nd round pick as compensation), take Hockenson. (Best TE that blocks and catches well)

Take Risner and best WR / DT in 2nd

Take 'other' WR/DT in 3rd

Way later in draft take Alex Barnes RB. (Kids a stud).

Very good chance we'll have the chance to choose the #1 OL on their board. If they are very high on a specific player , then pull the trigger. Set up a potentially elite OL.

Just get the best 5 out there, Jawann Taylor - Dawkins - Morse - Long/Teller - Ty 

You also have excellent depth and versatility . Ty, Dawkins, Long can each play multiple positions. 

At the same time , I want BPA if they are significantly higher on their board

11 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

It seems like folks always want to move the LT to G in Buffalo.  If a LT is BPA at 9, then fine.  It will most likely not be.  Let's Also not take a college LT who is projected to G at 9.

Yes, it's been so, now, basically since Peters left.

Seems to be a weird kink in Bills fans DNA.