Woodstock 50

Pete

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

@Augie I think celebrated his 21st birthday there if I remember correctly

I try not to brag, but it’s a little known fact that the whole thing started when I was looking for a special way to celebrate my big day. The thing just snowballed, and all those people showed up in my honor! Best birthday party EVER!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Anyone that says they were there AND says they remember are not to be believed.

only met 3 that claimed to be there, no grounds to doubt them, only 1 was also at Altamont

3 hours ago, Dante said:

Woodstock has been one of the most romanticized events over the years.  Looks like it was all pretty disgusting. Nasty showers (if they had any) Nastier porto potties. Crappy food. People rolling around in the mud. Lots of OD"s. bleech ?

My brother in law was there. All of that was true.......and he LOVED it! 

I've only met one person in my real life interactions that was at the original Woodstock, a former co-worker of mine.  She even brought in her ticket stub and some other souvenir things one day.  It was pretty cool hearing some first hand accounts of what it was like being there.  Ironically I don't know anybody in real life that attended Woodstock in 99 even though that was pretty much my generation.  Any board members attend Woodstock 99?

6 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Ironically I don't know anybody in real life that attended Woodstock in 99 even though that was pretty much my generation.  Any board members attend Woodstock 99?

I was at 99, I was a staff volunteer. Basically just filling in wherever someone was needed. Ended up leaving Sunday afternoon because my shifts were done, and I’d had enough of the heat. Went home and didn’t turn on the tv until sometime after 10pm and caught them talking on MTV about the fires. 

I did make it on the DVD. My staff badge allowed me backstage access. There is a spot during Jewels set where I can pick myself out by where I was standing, but anyone looking for me, would not because of the distance from the camera. 

If WS50 is looking for volunteers again, I’ll apply but I don’t know if I’d pay to go. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I was at 99, I was a staff volunteer. Basically just filling in wherever someone was needed. Ended up leaving Sunday afternoon because my shifts were done, and I’d had enough of the heat. Went home and didn’t turn on the tv until sometime after 10pm and caught them talking on MTV about the fires. 

I did make it on the DVD. My staff badge allowed me backstage access. There is a spot during Jewels set where I can pick myself out by where I was standing, but anyone looking for me, would not because of the distance from the camera. 

If WS50 is looking for volunteers again, I’ll apply but I don’t know if I’d pay to go. 

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing.  I always enjoy hearing first hand encounters for events like these.  I remember watching a lot of the concert on PPV.  It was a big deal at the time. 

34 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

That's like saying Hiroshima was better than Nagasaki 

a man survived both of them, he died in 2010, at the time i thought it was a good tribute to the human spirit, others around me didn't agree at all... 

50 years ago as an 8 year old we were in Batavia with the family out for dinner. We drove by the thruway entrance and saw a group of people holding a sign that said Woodstock.  I asked my dad who are they??  "Hippies...." he grumbled. 

4 hours ago, teef said:

this thing is going to be an abortion.

watkins glen is a good venue though...not that i've seen a concert there.

An older brother who was too young for Woodstock went to the huge Watkins Glen fest in 73. Largest music fest ever at that time with over 600,000 people. He said it was crazy. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I've only met one person in my real life interactions that was at the original Woodstock, a former co-worker of mine.  She even brought in her ticket stub and some other souvenir things one day.  It was pretty cool hearing some first hand accounts of what it was like being there.  Ironically I don't know anybody in real life that attended Woodstock in 99 even though that was pretty much my generation.  Any board members attend Woodstock 99?

I was at '99. It was a mess. It was close to 100°every day and there was absolutely no shade to be found anywhere, unless you wanted to stay in your tent all day. I think they were charging $4 for a bottle of water and something like 12 or 15 for burrito or a small pizza.  In addition,  sometime around the 2nd day, every porta john that was accessible was literally overflowing with human waste. At one point I walked past a dude sitting on top of a wooden  fence taking a dump in a cardboard box in front of hundreds of passersby. Towards the end of the festival everyone was so pissed about the prices and accommodations mobs of people ransacked the souvenir tents and atm machines. It was essentially mob rule in some areas.

On a personal level, our group left around 10 PM Thursday and ended up getting in the line of cars to get in around 5 am. We eventually got parked and got all of our gear and into the venue sometime around 9 am. We spend the next few hours meeting up the our group (this was early in the cell phone era and reception wasn't that great, especially with hundreds of thousands of people jamming the lines) and getting our tents and things set up. By this time it's around noon and blazing ass hot. We all head out to take everything in and sometime around 2 PM someone breaks out the acid. Well...I never did acid before, but I figured "what the hell, this is Woodstock.....when in Rome yada yada yada" . Now mind you,  I had to work Thursday and was up since 5am Thursday morning, so by the time I dropped the acid I was approaching being awake for 24 hours. So it's about 95 degrees and were walking around and nothing is happening and I was thinking this was a big letdown when my legs seem to quit communicating with my brain properly and I had to take a few moments to teach myself to walk again. So the acid is kicking in pretty strong and I feel like I'm on the verge of a heat stroke when all of a sudden my friends and I run into our drivers ED teacher from high school (I graduated in '97). I'm trying to convince myself  that it's just a hallucination and not him, but sure as ***** he sees us as well and walks over. We manage to have some type of conversation and he wishes us well and tells us to be safe. We get to one of the stages and Jamioquai was playing and he always was wearing the giant top hat and every minute or so I was asking my buddies where the hell that hat came from. After baking in the sun and having no liquid. Me and a buddy decided to go on a quest for water. So after what seemed like an hour walk (it was probably 10 minutes) we find some water and I pick up a tie dyed t-shirt and we get back to our group and settle in. I'm still roasting to death and decide to pour some water over my head. I'm staring at the stage deep in thought and look down and see my arms are now several different colors. I think to myself "holy *****, I'm losing it", before I gather my bearings and realize that the dye was running out of the cheap ass shirt I just bought. 

That's just a glimpse of the first few hours. 

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

I was there at Yasgur's for a free fest in 94 for the 25th Anniv. Joe Walsh played til the wee hours in the warm rain, he was tossing me Iron City beers from the stage. I was sunk over a foot in the wet cow pasture and my shoes are under there still.?

Edited by Turk71
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My friend Dave from Philly has a 40 acre organic farm outside Eugene Or. He has a food booth at some really big events like Coachella every year. In 99 he drove a semi across the country to the Woodstock Anniv. He said it was a disaster with not enough water, facilities, way oversold show. He broke down his food booth and got most of his ***** out of there when he saw it was gonna get ugly. The place got ransacked, trashed, and even burned. He said it was insane. 

Edited by Turk71

7 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

My friend Dave from Philly has a 40 acre organic farm outside Eugene Or. He has a food booth at some really big events like Coachella every year. In 99 he drove a semi across the country to the Woodstock Anniv. He said it was a disaster with not enough water, facilities, way oversold show. He broke down his food booth and got most of his ***** out of there when he saw it was gonna get ugly. The place got ransacked, trashed, and even burned. He said it was insane. 

On the last night I remember walking back to the camp site and seeing so many fires. I forget what band it was ( I think Chili Peppers), but they actually handed out  candles for the show. Not such a good idea in retrospect. Anyway there was this huge fire probably 20-30 ft. high with hundreds of people around it beating drums and chanting. It seemed like some sort of crazy satanic sacrifice about to take place.

• Haha (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

An older brother who was too young for Woodstock went to the huge Watkins Glen fest in 73. Largest music fest ever at that time with over 600,000 people. He said it was crazy. 

Was this the big greatful dead/allman brothers concert?

• Thank you (+1) 1