Rotoworld: Bills draft needs & 7 round mock

BarleyNY

This is a much better 7 round mock and realistic.

- Ed Oliver, DT
Houston

40 - Jaylon Ferguson, DE
Louisiana Tech

74 - Rock Ya-Sin, CB
Temple

112 - David Montgomery, RB
Iowa State

131 - Anthony Johnson, WR
Buffalo

147 - Chuma Edoga, OT (move to Guard)
USC

158 - Anthony Nelson, DE
Iowa

181 - Max Scharping, OT
Northern Illinois

225 - Jalen Hurd, WR
Baylor

228 - Bryce Love, RB
Stanford

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, wppete said:

- Ed Oliver, DT
Houston

40 - Jaylon Ferguson, DE
Louisiana Tech

74 - Rock Ya-Sin, CB
Temple

Iowa State

Buffalo

USC

158 - Anthony Nelson, DE
Iowa

181 - Max Scharping, OT
Northern Illinois

225 - Jalen Hurd, WR
Baylor

228 - Bryce Love, RB
Stanford

That's a lotta' players and high upside.

Edoga is a favorite of mine as a mid-round value.

Hurd's pro day is today I think.........will be interesting to see how he runs.......love his RAC ability.......he can catch a ball at a standstill and go into RB mode and break tackles.

To me, there are 3 'area's that could use an immediate upgrade:

1. pass rush

2. receiving presence to occupy lbs and safeties

3. offensive line/blocking

1. Either a DT or defensive end, but I'm guessing defensive end as our 1st pick.  Our defense legitamatly becomes a force with 1 superb pass rusher

2. A high quality receiving tight end can open up so many possibilities. Extremely challenging to stop an offense with an athletic tight end in the middle of the field, and explosive Wrs to cover deep

3.  I like our offensive line additions, but we could really use another dominating player to go with Morse.  Our FA additions have provided flexibility to wait until day 2, but I'm not quite sold on this group as it stands now.  Ty has never been tasked with a starter role, Waddle is a solid backup, and Long/Feliciano are borderline starters too, albeit upgrades over last year.

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's a lotta' players and high upside.

Edoga is a favorite of mine as a mid-round value.

Hurd's pro day is today I think.........will be interesting to see how he runs.......love his RAC ability.......he can catch a ball at a standstill and go into RB mode and break tackles.

I used the draft network simulator, https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine

I also really like Jalen Hurd. He is a weapon with that size and Run after the catch and toughness.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Both DTs will be on the board at 9.  Bills will draft neither :)

Well if that happens if there is a god we trade down slightly and grab one of them

Cant go wrong with either honestly.

And I realizie that would give us like 11 picks....but then Beane could package later picks to move up for better draft slots.

Oliver's highlights looks so damn good. Obviously not something I've properly looked in to, but he seems smallish and I wonder if he can keep up the pace he seems to have the whole game.

Still, we need QB pressure. I don't care how you get it, but we need players that can get to the QB. It's a glaring hole in our D. 26th in the league I think in sacks.

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I caught a lot of heat on here for calling Shaq an uninspired pick and predicting he would struggle rushing the passer due to a dreadful first step and poor use of his arms to control blockers.........he frequently just leaned into OT's and blocked himself.........but that DL at Clemson was stacked and he mastered the art of being fashionably late to the QB and collecting vulture sacks when passers moved to avoid the other Clemson DL who were ALL so much quicker off the ball than Shaq.

Honestly I think Whaley just picked the players Rex wanted in that last season.   If you follow Rex career he was not a guy who featured pin-ears-back edge rushers......a guy like Shaq who he thought could set the edge as a 3-4 OLB appealed to him.

So far McDermott has selected a CB and QB and a guy I thought would be a very good edge rusher with his first round picks(not as big of a fan of Edmunds as a MLB).

Meanwhile Shaq (given, while still not living up to his draft slot) has improved quite a bit in consistency and become a guy who can set the edge, get into passing lanes, nickel rush from a DT spot and provide decent edge rush. He isn't the same player that was drafted and is a contributor now, although somewhat unspectacular. Just thought it worth pointing out. Fans often forget to consider that players develop at different rates. Will Shaq hit a big 2nd contract? No. Can he do good things for the Bills? Yes.

10 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

To be fair, Oliver is a star player on a bad defensive line, so if you watch the video he constantly is getting double and even triple teamed.  With the star studded defensive front 7 that Clemson has, other teams don’t have the luxury of consistently getting 2 hard on Wilkins.  I like Oliver more as a penetrating 3 tech DT.

Yes, remember 2006, when the North Carolina St defensive line provided 1st rounders Mario Williams and Manny Lawson and the Bills traded up into the 1st for their teammate DT John Camargo.

12 hours ago, rodneykm said:

DT Wilkins is the guy I go with but I'd look to trade back a bit if possible. He's going to be very, very good. 

Ed Oliver is potentially more disruptive, but Wilkins is probably a safer pick.  He also happens to be a perfect fit for the Bills culture.

Silva's mock is unconventional for sure.  I don't like 2 CBs.  I've said elsewhere that while Ed Oliver is potentially more disruptive than Wilkins, Wilkins is a safer pick and fits the culture to a T.  I'm kind of hoping for a big receiver, but Deebo Samuel can be a valuable piece in an offense.  Ronheem Bingham is an interesting sleeper pick.  I think he might be a player who could be groomed as a Lorax replacement .  Overall, it probably wouldn't be the way I would draft if I were in Beane's shoes, but I've seen lots worse seven round mocks for the Bills.

Just because F/A added some depth, doesn't mean you don't target impact players in the draft.

-Here's my all-impact draft.

RD1: I'm OK with Wilkins/T.J Hockenson

RD2: Hakeem Butler WR  -Big, quick, RZ target.

RD3: Nick Allegretti OG  -Stud versatile  O-line talent.. Run or pass blocking.

RD3: Trade back in for Anthony Johnson WR:  Physical, gets open, out-jumper...

RD4: Joe Jackson DE  -Dominant Edge...Draft sleeper.

RD5: Tyree Jackson QB -Woefully underrated as a passer.

RD6: Travis Homer RB -Hugely underrated EDB... Ideal candidate to sit behind McCoy.

That's who I go to war with... Minimum of 5 NFL starters there... Maybe 2 don't pan out.

13 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

Meanwhile Shaq (given, while still not living up to his draft slot) has improved quite a bit in consistency and become a guy who can set the edge, get into passing lanes, nickel rush from a DT spot and provide decent edge rush. He isn't the same player that was drafted and is a contributor now, although somewhat unspectacular. Just thought it worth pointing out. Fans often forget to consider that players develop at different rates. Will Shaq hit a big 2nd contract? No. Can he do good things for the Bills? Yes.

True.......he's useful if unspectacular........which is pretty consistent with my take at the time that the pick was "uninspired".

With that rookie 1st round contract being basically just 4 years long now how can a team justify drafting low ceiling(but off the bus starters:flirt:) in round one anymore?

The shortening of those contracts has changed the approach significantly, IMO.

Back in the 1990's you might take a lower ceiling and surer-thing because 1st round contract dollar amounts were VERY high relative to the cost of a good veteran around the league and you were basically buying them for 6 years...........if you weren't drafting high you could afford to take small profits every year.    The Bills did this very well, actually.

But now.........you can't stack that cheese.......the first round is like a first pitch fastball.......that's the best time to swing for the fence.

On 3/20/2019 at 12:47 PM, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I disagree, but your position is perfectly reasonable.  I think that was essentially the Doug Whaley school of thought in fact, and I really liked Doug Whaley.  

All the same (and ironically), I see Shaq as the reason that philosophy fails.  Shaq was the top DE on the board, and a lot of it had to do with his pass rushing ability.  I think saying that we drafted him because of his run defense is a little revisionist. But in any event, he is what happens when you reach for that "elite" position.  You end up using a valuable pick on a very run of the mill player.  I'd rather have the best guard than a pass rusher that gets me 7 sacks in the season.  

As far as Wilkins, a lot of the reason I like him is need.  And I know, I know, you should never draft for need.  But it's human nature.  

i don't understand the wilkins thing....wouldn't we be better off in the long run with dexter lawrence?....or do we want to find out why wilkins ranked so high after?

10 hours ago, #34fan said:

Just because F/A added some depth, doesn't mean you don't target impact players in the draft.

-Here's my all-impact draft.

RD1: I'm OK with Wilkins/T.J Hockenson

RD2: Hakeem Butler WR  -Big, quick, RZ target.

RD3: Nick Allegretti OG  -Stud versatile  O-line talent.. Run or pass blocking.

RD3: Trade back in for Anthony Johnson WR:  Physical, gets open, out-jumper...

RD4: Joe Jackson DE  -Dominant Edge...Draft sleeper.

RD5: Tyree Jackson QB -Woefully underrated as a passer.

RD6: Travis Homer RB -Hugely underrated EDB... Ideal candidate to sit behind McCoy.

That's who I go to war with... Minimum of 5 NFL starters there... Maybe 2 don't pan out.

i think the broncos or chargers take him before the 5th.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:07 PM, wppete said:

- Ed Oliver, DT
Houston

40 - Jaylon Ferguson, DE
Louisiana Tech

74 - Rock Ya-Sin, CB
Temple

Iowa State

Buffalo

USC