How did you become a Bills fan?

JPL7

On 3/20/2019 at 8:50 AM, BoldBully said:

I was in middle school in Oregon in the early 90s when the Bills were the hot ticket.... I jumped on the bandwagon and was never able to jump off.... never wanted to jump off

Why not the 49ers or Cowboys out of curiosity?  Good at the time with a much more illustrious history.

33 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Why not the 49ers or Cowboys out of curiosity?  Good at the time with a much more illustrious history.

Just happened that way and glad it did..... being a bills fan has pretty much defined a large part of who I am. 

Born into it...it's in my DNA. And I'm loyal to a fault...must be my Dad's Sicilian blood coursing through my veins. Dad is from Dunkirk (no, his name is not Don) and he has been a Bills fan since their inception. Prior to the Bills, he followed the Browns since they were the closest team geographically to Buffalo and he loved legendary Browns QB Otto Graham. I had an otherwise happy childhood growing up in WNY so I think the Bills must be my karmic payback to keep me from getting too full of myself. But to throw the Sabres and Mets on top of the Bills in my lifelong 'fandom of misery', I now think I must have been a real SOB in a former life. In a cruel twist of fate, my dad was not a baseball fan but got hooked on the Mets in the early '80s because of my brother and me. You're welcome, old man. Payback is a beotch.

Edited by ExWNYer
  • Haha (+1) 1

Sept. 24, 1978 my dad took me to see the Bills beat the Baltimore Colts 24-10. Curtis Brown returned a kickoff for a TD 104 yards. 

Ok im old and was wrong it was 24-17 and the kickoff was 102 yards. 

Edited by KRT88
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, everyone for their input. As a fellow lifelong Bills fan, I recently decided to start a Bills blog on my personal web site. Check out my first three entries...

http://www.mikecrosky.com/go-bills-blog/2 This entry briefly describes my nearly 30 years of rooting for the Bills. 

http://www.mikecrosky.com/go-bills-blog/2019/3/30/go-bills-blog-3-becoming-a-bills-fan-part-2 Here is part 2 of Becoming a Bills Fan. Which includes entries from several of you who responded. 

http://www.mikecrosky.com/go-bills-blog/in-beane-i-trust My very first entry explains why I truly believe that with Brandon Beane in charge, we are finally on the right track to success. 

Enjoy. And Go Bills!!  

On 3/20/2019 at 8:28 AM, JPL7 said:

I am sure many of you were born and bred into Bills fandom, but there is always more to the story than that. I would be interested in hearing how we all became Bills fanatics. I was born and raised in Ohio. The Bills were on local TV quite a bit in the late 80's in Columbus, so I became a Bills fan when I was about 5 just by seeing them all the time and loving Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas. 30 years later, I am still a diehard. I have been to Buffalo numerous times over the years for games and travel to many Bills road games in the region. I love the city of Buffalo! 

Anyway, what is your story? 

Good thread.  I guess I was born into it living near the Buffalo area.  I always had Buffalo Bills stuff as a kid but didn’t really follow until I was, maybe fifth or sixth grade.  The Bills were just starting to get good.

I remember the first game that made me a fan.  It was the Jets and the Bills in 1990.  The Bills trailed late but Kelly won the game with a last second TD pass to..... Jaime Mueller of all people!!!!!

Thay team would then go on and make one helluva run that saw them win in a lot of crazy ways.  This included some huge victories like defeating the undefeated Giants in NY and a huge revenge win against Miami at home to clinch the AFCE.

Of course they’d go to the Super Bowl the next four years and that kind of success was all that I knew.  Wow what a rude awakening it would be a few years later during the drought!  Still a fan to this day

The AFC Championship game against the Raiders was really the beginning for me. Such a dominant performance and the environment I saw on TV was ridiculous. Mother is from Hamburg, but I'm from Detroit and the Lions were always trash. Keep in mind I was 9 years old.

• Like (+1) 1

I was born and raised in Indiana in the middle of Colts country. My grandma sent me Buffalo Bills Tazmanian Devil sweats and sent my brother Dallas Cowboys sweats because they were in a couple Super Bowls back to back against each other so they were the hot teams I guess. I was 4 years old so I was young and impressionable so when I got older I chose the Bills. I was a random decision by my grandma away from being a Cowboys fan. Weird. Or I guess she could have not sent them at all and I would have been a Colts fan. Or maybe I would have been a Pats fan 'cause my dad's from Boston and that's who he roots for. Oh god that's a scary thought. I'm gonna stop going down the rabbit hole now lmao.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/23/2019 at 4:42 PM, BoldBully said:

Just happened that way and glad it did..... being a bills fan has pretty much defined a large part of who I am. 

It is okay to admit that around here, don’t let others know that’s how you identify though....

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

The AFC Championship game against the Raiders was really the beginning for me. Such a dominant performance and the environment I saw on TV was ridiculous. Mother is from Hamburg, but I'm from Detroit and the Lions were always trash. Keep in mind I was 9 years old.

@LSHMEAB, I had no idea your family roots trace all the way back to the old German country! ;) Wunderbar!

• Haha (+1) 2

I think my ‘wry (rye?) observer’ status is shifting to ‘cynical fan’...thanks to Kraft’s probably skating on the lewd and lascivious charges.  The proverbial ‘last straw’, as it were.  Oh, and the 2019 draft hat.  Two thumbs up.  ? 

EDIT:  Oh, and hanging around you lot.  It’s difficult not to absorb the ‘irrational exuberance’ most of you exhibit.  ?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

Dad had season tickets through his company got to got to 2-3 games a year back in the 1990's -1996 

I remember the electric company tribute game where they ran the play with OJ and he threw the ball into the stands, believe it was against the colts that day

Used to love the game day programs, my dad would buy them before the game and I would bring it to school the next day and show all the kids

• Like (+1) 1

I was born a bills fan ! ?

One of my earliest Bills memories was crying like a baby as a 7 year old boy when we traded the juice to the 49ers. Forget that we robbed them of 5 picks (a 1st, 2x 2nd's, 3rd, 4th) for a washed up 31 year old that could barely walk. Up until this point, he WAS the Buffalo Bills in my world. It was devastating to me. 

This also explains why I started writing letters to Super Joe (Montana) not long after.

I barely knew anything about football back then, but I remember the old man yelling "The Juice is Loose, the Juice is Loose, RUUUUUUUUN !!! " It was a family chorus at times. My mother would have all the cooking and everything done before the game, cause she'd be damned if she was gonna miss any of the games.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1