How did you become a Bills fan?

JPL7

21 minutes ago, entropyrules said:

Bad Karma - in my previous life I was an awful dude so god is paying me back by having Buffalo as my birth place...so this life i am being equally as bad so I can be born in Cleveland next time

You want bad karma - try skiing in Lake Damariscotta as a 12 year old during summer vacation. Then when you fall an enforcement plane lands out of the sky and gives your dad a ticket. Needless to say I took up other sports ?

On 3/21/2019 at 12:15 PM, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I lost a bet

has to be a statue of limitations, and you can pull it down

On 3/21/2019 at 11:42 AM, Westside Madness said:

I was arrested for shoplifting and as part of the plea deal, I had to become a Bills fan.

some interesting videos of side agreements on the internet

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

has to be a statue of limitations, and you can pull it down

Yeah the bet was nixed after my "no playoffs for 10 years" clause kicked in but by then I developed into a masochist and was hooked by the pain.

My father and my two older brothers (much older) were very abusive mentally and physically.  In today's world,  my life would have been headline material and I would either be a regular guest on Dr. Phil or the subject of a CNN documentary.  However, in the 60's it was kind of a normal way to treat the runt of the family.  Simply put, compliance with the dictatorship was the easiest path.  The Bills were the preferred team of the regime.

58+ years later, here I am..checking a damn Bills message board multiple times a day to see if the team signed a 3rd string punter off the Chargers practice squad.

To my brothers who also frequent this forum...thanks a lot...love you both.

I am a UK Bills fan. In the 1980s the NFL brought some pre-season games to London (Wembley Stadium).  I went with friends, out of curiosity, and got hooked. Then there was the Cornelius Bennett trade where reporters said that the Bills had been out-manoeuvred by the Colts and Rams. I knew nothing about Buffalo but wondered if the team did, actually, know what they were doing.  I read about Buffalo and thought it sounded like my sort of town so I started following the Bills to see how the trade turned out and I’ve been a fan ever since. Since I retired, I’ve been over to Buffalo four times (and each time the Bills have won – I’ve only seen the Bills lose once, when they came to Wembley in 2015!).  I aim to come over again this year.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’m from Wyoming and growing up in the 80’s and 90’s my brother was a huge Buffalo fan. I hated them though. Enter Josh Allen and now I check this damn site at least 5 times a day. My team growing up was the Raiders but now I hate them. 

3 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Yeah the bet was nixed after my "no playoffs for 10 years" clause kicked in but by then I developed into a masochist and was hooked by the pain.

no reasonable common-sense member of a jury could be expected to believe an NFL team would miss the playoffs for over a decade

2 hours ago, BBills88 said:

I'm from Philly

November 1988 i was 8 years old, snuck downstairs to watching Monday night football I saw Kelly and Marino go at it. I was a Bills fans every since

must be tough when your first years were the best of the history of the franchise.

think about the people just turning 30 who have only known great success cheeering for the Pats

When I was five, I asked my mother why everyone around us claimed to be NYers and loved the Jets and Giants, who called themselves NY teams, but played in Jersey.  I then asked if there were any teams that played in NY.  She said the Buffalo Bills and I instantly became a fan.

I was born into this whole thing, as I thought ALL Buffalo sports fans were! 

I can't believe people having nothing to do with the area would actually choose WNY teams to follow!

That is some hard core masochism right there.

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Chandler, I didn’t know you were so young.  ?

That’s pretty cool as you probably remember the AFC Championships in the 60’s.  One more year and we would have been in the first SB.  Crazy if we were in it.  Granted the Packers would have killed us so KC had that joy.

That year, ‘66, I agree we would have lost. Probably ‘65 too, to the same Green Bay team. BUT!! I’ll go to my grave believing we would have beat Cleveland following the ‘64 campaign. We still had Gilchrest and none of the big injuries that weakened the next 2 championship game teams.

41 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I was born into this whole thing, as I thought ALL Buffalo sports fans were! 

I can't believe people having nothing to do with the area would actually choose WNY teams to follow!

That is some hard core masochism right there.

I know, right? I live in Los Angeles now, and have met a few who have never even been to WNY. "You mean, you're a Bills fan on purpose???" I ask them.

I was born and raised in Rochester, and watched with my father who would scream incessantly at the TV screen. All of my siblings were driven out of the house by his yelling, and none of them are football fans to this day. But, one of my fondest memories of him was sitting with him on the couch, about age seven, and screaming "JUICE, JUICE, JUICE!!!" along with him.

47 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

That year, ‘66, I agree we would have lost. Probably ‘65 too, to the same Green Bay team. BUT!! I’ll go to my grave believing we would have beat Cleveland following the ‘64 campaign. We still had Gilchrest and none of the big injuries that weakened the next 2 championship game teams.

Only from film, I couldn’t agree more.  Unfortunately we didn’t have a SB that year.

• Sad 1