How did you become a Bills fan?

JPL7

12 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

I was a 12 year old, captivated by a red Bills helmet on display at a South Jersey mall kiosk.

Me: Wow, which team is that?

Friend: The Buffalo Bills

Me: That's my favorite team.

And so it was.

my best friend had the same thing happen, but with the chiefs.  someone gave him a chiefs helmet as a kid and boom...huge chiefs fan.  

The 1989 Divisional playoff game between the Browns and Bills was my 1st memory of actually watching a football game.   Bills uniforms were so much better and the Bills played their ass off that day.  Been a Bills fan ever since. 

I grew up on Long Island. I was a Jet fan because of Namath and Super Bowl III. LI had lots of snooty Giant fans and Jets were more of the working Joe's team. I sort of drifted from the Jets as I got more into the NFL as a whole but still rooted for them. Went away to college in 1976 to Postdam, then Albany. I had many WNY friends and went to 5 games late 70s. I just loved the atmosphere and the fans, the parking lots, the parking lawns, the whole scene. Hi-Light was a 1979shootout at Rich Stadium between Bert Jones/Joe Ferguson. Baltimore Colts/Bills. I was hooked. Last straw came later in 1983 -I was furious about Jets abandonment of their LI fans to move in with Giants and started following the Bills exclusively. Been there ever since. I used to make the trip every few years but, last 10 years I've made 1 game per year (I live in Westchester County) and also go to Meadowlands when they are here. Went to Green Bay last year. I've learned through my travels that there are significant numbers of Bills fans around the country, and downstate. Wear the gear and you'll get a shout out in places like Wyoming, Oregon and even Sweden.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I'd like to say that I was born a Bills fan, but I'm older than the franchise. My Dad was an early season tickets holder, so I spent many childhood Sundays watching guys like Jack Kemp, Cookie Gilchrist, "Golden Wheels" Dubenion, Ron McDole, Pete Gogolak, Paul Maguire, Mike Stratton, Billy Shaw, OJ Simpson and Butch Byrd play. Great memories.

Remember "dangerous Dan?"

first football was watching Juice destroy the Chiefs, the years when i would cheer for the team Dad did

Buffalo was an easy pickup for cheering from Southern Ontario, the Sabres had the French Connection and McAdoo and Marin's birthmark were always on TV.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/20/2019 at 9:53 AM, BritBill said:

Can I ask, just out of interest, how many Bills games people have been to? 

It seems more acceptable in the US for fans be TV fans where as in the UK supporting a team (soccer) but not going to games is frowned upon and used a ridicule against you.

I was born and raised in Ohio, but made it to Buffalo for 5 different games. And then a handful of Bills games in Cincy and Cleveland. I have been to 10 total. 

• Like (+1) 1

I live in Quebec so hockey is of course #1. But back then, in 1995, hockey was BORING. Lots and lots of hooking. Combine that with the fact that for years 16 teams out of 21 made the playoffs, regular season games had become dull, since as soon as a team was behind 2 or 3 goals, players would just give up, as each game was meaningless and the hooking made it quite a drag to come from behind. So I was out of sports so to speak, and happened by chance to see some NFL games and the intensity and just loved it. Lots of Bills games on TV and I just loved the uniform, the energy, the CROWD, that in Buffalo too it was harsh weather.

A great Bills-Dolphins game in Buffalo in week 15 sealed the deal for me. The crowd and team were so ecstatic!  Then they met again in the playoffs and the Bills won. True love I suppose. I deserve some status from Buffalo natives as staying true for those 17 years of drought as an out-of-towner shows real loyalty ha ha.

Even today I watch basically only playoff hockey (which is AMAZING), but also MMA and pro cycling along with the Bills and the NFL. Back then, it was the Bills. No holds barred fighting had just begun.

Bills drafted Jim Kelly, who instead signed with the Houston Gamblers in the USFL. Trump bought the New Jersey Generals and proceeded to weasel his way into power, eventually convincing the league to move from spring to fall to compete directly with the NFL. After USFL sued the NFL over a broadcasting rights monopoly and lost (well technically won $3 but the league collapsed), Jim Kelly signed with Buffalo. At age six watching the Bills vs Giants Super Bowl, I fell in love with the Bills because of their colors and because of their helmet logo even though they were similar colors to the Giants. Bandwagon fan who has been paying for it ever since. 

11 hours ago, teef said:

my best friend had the same thing happen, but with the chiefs.  someone gave him a chiefs helmet as a kid and boom...huge chiefs fan.  

That could've been me!  I wonder how much differently my life would've turned out, had I seen a Chiefs helmet instead.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

That could've been me!  I wonder how much differently my life would've turned out, had I seen a Chiefs helmet instead.

You could complain that you have Mahomes when you could have waited for Josh Allen??? 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Westside Madness said:

I was arrested for shoplifting and as part of the plea deal, I had to become a Bills fan.

Few people were aware of Ralph’s position as circuit court judge. It’s how he roped so many of us in. But a deal is a deal. It didn’t matter if it was a Snickers bar or the Hope Diamond, if you’re in, you’re IN.  So here we are.....