How did you become a Bills fan?

JPL7

I became a Bills fan watching # 32 running up and down the field at a very young age. Who was this fella that made my Dad and older brother yell so loud?  Nobody could catch him. I watched him in the airport jumping over seats to reach his plane on time. Nobody could stop him. My childhood hero, O J Simpson...

#Billsfanshavesufferedenough

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 2

I grew up in Cheektowaga but my parents weren't football  fans.  The first game I watched was a Browns game and I became a Browns fan when I was maybe 9 when the Brownies were still competing in the old Century Division with the Cards, Saints and Steelers.

The Bills were hardly on my radar until 1969 when we drafted OJ first overall with tremendous fanfare.  I was 10 at the time and quickly became a fan of both OJ and the Bills.  

I stayed a combined Bills-Browns fan for many years.   (Could I have picked a worst duo???).   But when the Browns moved to Baltimore in '96, I pretty much turned in my Browns fan club ID and focused my masochistic loyalty solely on the hometown Bills.  

Born into it. Grew up in Rochester, NY.

My verrrry first sports memory is of crying because the Bills had just lost another Super Bowl. I didn't really understand WHY I was crying, but the adults were all very upset, and the Bills had lost. I knew that much.

I grew up thinking that the Super Bowl was just the last Bills game of the year, every year.

By the time I REALLY started following closely, paying attention, and knowing all the players' names, the drought was just beginning. It has lasted my whole adult life.

Born into it also. My dad would take me to see the Bills spring training at (I think), the Fairway? Hotel in Hamburg, just off the Thruway.

Was around 1963 I think. Got Jack Kemp's autograph there.

Then they went to Niagara University for training camp. Went to a bunch of games at the Rock Pile. Been hooked ever since.

Patriots used to suck, they didn’t sell out and they were always blacked out. The Bills were always on. Fell in love and haven’t looked back since. 

Patriots started selling out again when Kraft bought the team and drafted Bledsoe. That made it hard to watch every game until they started streaming Sunday Ticket. Yehaw.

On 8/1/81, MTV aired the very first music video: "Video Killed the Radio Star",  by The Buggles:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Killed_the_Radio_Star

I was also born that day, in Rochester, NY, to a middle class family whose father had played sports in high school. As the first child, I was encouraged to play sports, and football was the only sport with a national team nearby. I naturally loved the Bills, and cried at each Super Bowl loss.

I never ended up being a radio star.

The Bills still have not won a Super Bowl.

I am still a Bills fan.

End of transmission.

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

My great, great uncle @Chandler#81 introduced me to the team shortly after my birth.

I doubt he’s that great. Good? Sure, probably....

I was born in Orchard Park the same month the Bills were founded. Moved to Hamburg and went to third grade with Jack Kemp’s son, we’d walk home to his place after school to see trophy cases full of game balls. My dad got 2 seasons mid-60’s and we fought over who got to go, so he got 2 more. We’d rent a school bus, filled it with neighbors and head to the Rockpile. My sister used to babysit for Bills players and I knew their kids. I never stood a chance......

My boys, however, saw what I went through and still became fans. I don’t feel guilty, as they were born with free will! Actually, just like with my dad, it was always there as a bond, a reason to get together and reach out. It’s more than a football team playing games, it’s part of the fabric of our family. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1