Texans sign QB McCarron to back up Watson

HOUSTON -- The Houston Texans on Tuesday signed AJ McCarron to be the team's backup quarterback behind Deshaun Watson.

The deal is for one year and $3 million, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter, confirming an NFL Network report.

I didn't see a signing thread so.... 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

I was thinking about backups.

I actually kind of panicked thinking we still had peterpick.

I have PTSD (Peterman traumatic stress disorder)

I then remembered he's gone, and will eventually be starting for the raiders because gruden loves him.

Then I laughed.

• Haha (+1) 7

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

HOUSTON -- The Houston Texans on Tuesday signed AJ McCarron to be the team's backup quarterback behind Deshaun Watson.

The deal is for one year and $3 million, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter, confirming an NFL Network report.

I didn't see a signing thread so.... 

He’ll be fine until Peterman shows up in the Lone Star State.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

Let's not kid ourselves, McCarron is a solid QB2. He somehow lost out to Peterman, but that was vs preseason competition. If McCarron hadn't gotten hurt & started the season, we'd probably have won more games. That means no top-10 pick, and Allen may not have even played. We're in a much better place today because of Peterman winning that job.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, chris heff said:

It always amazes me that there is not 32 people on the planet that can competently play QB in the NFL.

Only so many guys have the physical tools.  Less have the required ability to process info quickly while 260-300lb dudes are coming after you.  And even less have the leadership the position requires.  It is probably the hardest position to play in any sport.  

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, 947 said:

Let's not kid ourselves, McCarron is a solid QB2. He somehow lost out to Peterman, but that was vs preseason competition. If McCarron hadn't gotten hurt & started the season, we'd probably have won more games. That means no top-10 pick, and Allen may not have even played. We're in a much better place today because of Peterman winning that job.

That's a funny way to look at it but I don't think McCarron would have played very well behind that crappy OL and with that group of receivers.  That said, I'm really glad Allen got to play as much as he did.

Isn't McCarron's wife from Texas?  She's the most interesting part of his story anyway...

1 hour ago, 947 said:

I'm not sure - the offense we had built was around 50/50 balls, backshoulders, and running.  It didn't work.  It was horrible.  We couldn't beat man coverage.  It was especially horrible with a rookie QB and a bad o-line.

By the end of the year, we added speed and vertical threats - went back to some rhythm passing (which allen still struggles with), and completely abandoned the offense in the first 8-10 weeks of the year.

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

AJ is ok as a backup option  .   Wasn't overly enthused  when he was initially brought in to compete for starter with us though.

I liked signing him better than paying 20M for 4 games of Sam Bradford

Cards basically gave up Ty Matheau for Sam Bradford for a month

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 947 said:

Peterman, I’m assuming, was maybe more on time and accurate in practice...

obviously then turns to a pumpkin in live action 

Cases like this is exactly why the NFL settled with Kaepernick. No way you can argue AJ makes more sense to backup Watson than Kaep...Instead...AJ gets the job with Kaep not even getting a workout. Aguy who has never been arrested or even accused of breaking the law. Glad he got paid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Only so many guys have the physical tools.  Less have the required ability to process info quickly while 260-300lb dudes are coming after you.  And even less have the leadership the position requires.  It is probably the hardest position to play in any sport.  

Not to mention, of all the people that might check those boxes, not all of them ever touch a football in their lives.