Top-ranked professional athlete suspended for using PEDs

10 minutes ago, eball said:

You can make a lot of money playing bridge?  Who knew?

like poker the private circuit of bridge is very lucrative, not so much for public events...

my space-cadetness sometimes leads to my partner's fury and wrath (when it didn't work out), i couldn't imagine what the result would be if we were playing for $50,000 that night...

most of the internet billionaires play seriously, who knows for what stakes they arrange bridge games...

and bring in the best civilian players.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

like poker the private circuit of bridge is very lucrative, not so much for public events...

my space-cadetness sometimes leads to my partner's fury and wrath (when it didn't work out), i couldn't imagine what the result would be if we were playing for $50,000 that night...

most of the internet billionaires play seriously, who knows for what stakes they arrange bridge games...

and bring in the best civilian players.

Apparently my grandparents wouldn't speak for days if there was a disagreement over a big hand on duplicate night.

My parents also had a bridge group for many years, I still remember the loud voices and overflowing ashtrys the next day!  I learned to play when I was about 13.  Sadly I think my last rubber was more than 10 years ago!

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Apparently my grandparents wouldn't speak for days if there was a disagreement over a big hand on duplicate night.

My parents also had a bridge group for many years, I still remember the loud voices and overflowing ashtrys the next day!  I learned to play when I was about 13.  Sadly I think my last rubber was more than 10 years ago!

for one set of grandparents, he was a strict man from the farm and played by the rules and she just laughed and did whatever she wanted to, they made it past 60 years together

card games aren't as important in daily lives as they used to be, i miss playing cribbage for hours on end with friends and relatives

the last time i saw bridge mentioned in common culture was a few episodes of Mad Men with Don and wife hosting

• Like (+1) 1

Good, I say. Ban that cheater for taking performance enhancing substances! If he wants to gain unfair competitive advantages solely to win at cards, he should go with the rest of the uncivilized gutter crowd and play the World Series of Poker.

Examples must be made!

11 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Good, I say. Ban that cheater for taking performance enhancing substances! If he wants to gain unfair competitive advantages solely to win at cards, he should go with the rest of the uncivilized gutter crowd and play the World Series of Poker.

Examples must be made!

the problem is they want Olympic recognition for bridge, so they are forced onto WADA doping standards, even for substances that nobody has suggested is bridge-enhancing.

this list can get quite obtrusive for asthma or other basic illnesses that a geek like me can suffer from

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the problem is they want Olympic recognition for bridge, so they are forced onto WADA doping standards, even for substances that nobody has suggested is bridge-enhancing.

Yes, I read the article.

We really need a sarcasm font...

On 3/20/2019 at 12:31 PM, row_33 said:

for one set of grandparents, he was a strict man from the farm and played by the rules and she just laughed and did whatever she wanted to, they made it past 60 years together

card games aren't as important in daily lives as they used to be, i miss playing cribbage for hours on end with friends and relatives

the last time i saw bridge mentioned in common culture was a few episodes of Mad Men with Don and wife hosting

Yeah, it’s too bad.  Card games and board game were a daily entertainment staple for us.  I try to do as much of it as possible with the kids, but can see it will get harder to compete with the e-world as they get older.

My grandfather taught me cribbage when I was about 8.  Kicked my ass almost every time. There was no ‘let the kids win’ in those days!  

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Yeah, it’s too bad.  Card games and board game were a daily entertainment staple for us.  I try to do as much of it as possible with the kids, but can see it will get harder to compete with the e-world as they get older.

My grandfather taught me cribbage when I was about 8.  Kicked my ass almost every time. There was no ‘let the kids win’ in those days!  

double points for what you failed to claim....

• Like (+1) 1