Mitch Morse sees similarities between Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen...

Anyone can see there is similarities.  We will just see how it plays out.  

As for mahomes hes a stud.  But before we anoint him king let's see him do it again.  He was very high on the list when it comes to interceptable passes...he makes some poor decisions but his arm talent let him get away with it.  A few inches here and there and maybe its 10 more picks and 10 less TDs.   Doesnt take much and he still has a way to go before we throw him in the HOF.  

8 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I’m sure he was. But their pedigree as far as baseball goes isn’t the same. 

Just because mahomes  Dad was in the MLB doesn’t mean he’s a 10x better ballplayer than Allen. It means he has name recognition. Mahomes was drafted In the 38th round of the MLB draft with his pedigree ... it’s not like he was a top pick 

Allens coach at Firebaugh said he threw a 93 mph fastball in HS. That’s elite and a hell of a HS pitcher. I’m sure he was a beast

Allen also went to Wyoming because he didn’t have the pedigree... now he is a budding superstar 

my buddy was drafted in the 12th round of the MLB draft as a pitcher ... he couldn’t throw 93 in HS like Allen.. it’s all where you play and who you know

Edited by Buffalo716

9 hours ago, Magox said:

Obviously his comments will open the door to plenty of snark because Allen hasn't come close to whiffing what Mahomes has done in the air.

With that said, the potential to be an overall special QB is there for Allen, now he just needs to realize it.

Well, Allen actually had a much better rookie year than Mahomes since he did not even play until the final week.  I am quite sure the red  shirt year helped Mahomes who was not really NFL ready either.  I am not saying Allen will make the same type of jump, but there are in fact many similarities in their game in spite of the snark employed in the articles quoted. Hopefully he can realize that potential with an upgraded supporting cast.

There are 2 kinds of people...those you look at stat sheets and disregard all context relating to said stats...and those who watch the actual game and make logical deductions.

Stat sheet folks:  No similarities other than being mobile and strong arm.

Game watchers:  Quite a few similarities and the gap in production makes sense.

1. This was year 2 for Mahomes and year 1 for Allen.  Mahomes while showing promise didnt light the league on fire in his limited appearances as a rookie.  Something everyone conveniently forgets
  2. Mahomes had an infinitely better OL
  3. Mahomes had an infinitely better group of receivers and TE's to throw to
  4. Mahoems had an infinitely better performance by his RBs
  5. Allen showed significant progress post injury as the season went on
  6. Allen showed significant progress with slight improvements of his weapons through addition by subtraction of cutting WR dead weight

Does that mean Allen will put up 50 TDs this year?  No, nor does he have to in order for the Bills to make a big jump forward.  Mahomes may have to again given how terrible their D was last year and only gotten worse through personnel losses this offseason so far.  

But if you actually watch their game, there is quite a bit of similarity.  They play with similar instincts and style.  Only time will tell just how close they resemble each other or who has the better career.  But anyone saying this is no comparison because of Allens rookie numbers is just not someone whose opinion I can take seriously.  There are quite a few similarities on tape.  

But I will say this, I would rather be the Bills right now than the Chiefs.  The Chiefs are in danger of flirting with the same dismantling that plagued the Kap led 49ers a little while back.  That 49er team was a young and talented team that looked like it was going to keep ascending and contending for a while.  In a matter of 2 off seasons, that team quickly became one of the least talented rosters in the NFL and still had cap problems.  

The Chiefs in the last handful of months have lost their star 2nd year RB already to off field stuff, and now Hill is in danger too.  They lost a key OL in Morse, they lost Conley who would have been the #2 WR if Hill misses time or gets cut.  They lost their blocking TE that was used a decent amount in KC.  They lost their 2 best pass rushers and will probably lose Berry too (who was always hurt anyway).  The GM that helped build up some of that team is in Cleveland now building a contender.  Their current GM stupidly paid Watkins $16M per year.  If KC isnt careful, they could be the next ascending team to get derailed far too early with off field stuff, injuries, and bad contracts.  They better hope Hill comes out of this clean.

2 hours ago, The Red King said:

Josh Allen had far more touchdowns, rushing yards and passing yards in his rookie year then Mahomes did.

Bingo!  Funny how so many people seem to miss this little fact. 

It's also funny how in so many of these threads the pessimists on Allen pop up with their snide comments.  IMO it's simple, Allen improved significantly after he came back from injury.  Now with improved talent on the offense; a year under his belt where he was baptized in fire and a whole off season to focus on further improving his game you would have to be clinically depressed NOT to be optimistic that he'll be even better next season.  

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Just because mahomes  Dad was in the MLB doesn’t mean he’s a 10x better ballplayer than Allen. It means he has name recognition. Mahomes was drafted In the 38th round of the MLB draft with his pedigree ... it’s not like he was a top pick 

Allens coach at Firebaugh said he threw a 93 mph fastball in HS. That’s elite and a hell of a HS pitcher. I’m sure he was a beast

Allen also went to Wyoming because he didn’t have the pedigree... now he is a budding superstar 

my buddy was drafted in the 12th round of the MLB draft as a pitcher ... he couldn’t throw 93 in HS like Allen.. it’s all where you play and who you know

Sure okay. Thanks for the anecdote about your buddy. Allen’s and Mahomes’ skillsets are exactly the same. ? seriously some people

35 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Bingo!  Funny how so many people seem to miss this little fact. 

It's also funny how in so many of these threads the pessimists on Allen pop up with their snide comments.  IMO it's simple, Allen improved significantly after he came back from injury.  Now with improved talent on the offense; a year under his belt where he was baptized in fire and a whole off season to focus on further improving his game you would have to be clinically depressed NOT to be optimistic that he'll be even better next season.  

Allen played in 12 games and Mahomes played in 1.   

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Josh Allen was a HS pitcher

But Mahomes plays like a gold glove 2nd baseman.

There are definitely physical similarities, but I've never seen a player do the crazy things Mahomes does.

That should be perceived as a knock on Allen. Allen is a better runner and probably has a stronger arm. When he starts putting it all together on the field in 2019, the respect will follow.

19 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

You are not hoping that he will have improved in season two due to better players around him and good old fashioned hard work?

No...it is completely not true that he could not hit the broad side of a barn last year.

He had missed throws like all QBs do....he also had some excellent throws that were flat dropped.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, stony said:

Allen played in 12 games and Mahomes played in 1.   

I get that.  But how often on 2BD do we see folks comparing Mahomes passing production in his 2nd season to Allen's in his rookie season?  By my reckoning it's just about every time the two QB's are mentioned in the same thread together.

The reality was that Allen was thrown to the wolves while Mahomes enjoyed the luxury of being properly prepared for becoming a starting QB in the NFL. And let's not even go into the gross differences in surrounding offensive talent Mahomes enjoyed compared to Allen. 

Bottom line is that I remain optimistic about Allen's long term future as the Bills QB.  I believe that he and Mahomes will be two of the best QB's in the NFL over the next 5 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

No...it is completely not true that he could not hit the broad side of a barn last year.

He had missed throws like all QBs do....he also had some excellent throws that were flat dropped.

You're right.  I've been blinded by reality.

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Actually the snark makes no sense if you read what he said and are objectively looking at the two QBs. There are similarities between the two, huge arm and mobility, which is what Morse actually said and he’s right. Anyone with an agenda can lay on snark pretending he meant something he didn’t say, which would be comparing production. 

For what it's worth, Josh Allen threw for 10 more touchdowns than Mahomes did during his rookie season ?