If Allen is real deal, bills make playoffs

6 hours ago, Magox said:

That will not be the final determinant from the Pegulas.  They will make their assessment primarily on the trajectory of the organization more so than whether or not they make the playoffs.

Not really, if Allen doesn't make massive strides in his short-medium passing game, which he'll need to do in order to achieve merely average passer status, then it's not going to bode well for McBeane who have inherently put all of their eggs into Allen's basket. 

Let's refresh from last year's Draft;  We could have had Edmunds with the original first 1st-round pick.  Phillips was taken with the last of 6 day-1/2 picks.  That means that essentially McBeane traded away four day-1/2 picks, one in round 1, both 2nd's, and our 1st-pick in round 3, which is essentially like another 2nd-round pick, in order to acquire Allen when the entire team needed to be rebuilt.  When you make a trade like that given the state that this team was in prior to doing so, your career necessarily hinges on it.  

If Allen works out, great, and I, like everyone else, hope he does.  But if not, there's no way on earth that they're going to have this team playoff-caliber anytime soon.  Not to mention that they're essentially committed to starting Allen at least thru this season and next, so if he fails us, then it'll be like starting over.  The Pegulas will not only be dealing with that but will be dealing with an understandably critical fanbase and media, both regional as well as national.  

We're jumping the gun here a little bit, but the leap that Allen would have to make in his passing game this season to fringe on becoming a franchise QB in that regard would be monumental.  I'm not sure I see that kind of improvement in any QB, Allen or another, particularly based upon his history.  

We'll see tho.  But make no mistake, it's not going to be his rushing or deep game that renders him a franchise QB, as with EVERY other franchise QB, Brady being a prime example, he'll have to do it with the short-medium game being his bread-n-butter.  

In short, the "trajectory of this organization" hinges directly upon Allen's play.  

Edited by TaskersGhost
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Things I'd like to see

- Starts all 16 games

- 60+ completion percentage, and close to 4000 in the air.  A real NFL offense.

- 25+ TDs in the air - im cool with a few extra's on the ground but I want more damage with his arm.

- Sub 20 total turnovers as a team - 32 is way too many.  We were 6-0 when we had fewer than 2 turnovers, and 0-10 when we had more than 2.

- Score 13+ in every game.  We can't have so many stinker gameplans where we just looked totally inept as a team.

If Allen can hit these benchmarks, and we have a solid running game - we will make the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

Nice pieces added in free agency. Could still use another piece on offense whether that’s OL, TE, RB

but if Allen is going to be a franchise QBs, this team makes playoffs.  Good QBs can carry a team to playoffs almost every year 

If they dont make it and the team isn’t decimated by injuries, I will hit the panic button on qb 

Stupid statements like this... Aaron Rogers is a Franchise QB.. Why didn't they make the playoffs last year..

Oh wait.. Let me think.. Hmm.. Don't think longer then 2 seconds and you will have the answer..

There is no I in TEAM!.  This is a TEAM SPORT for a reason.. you can have one of the better QB's in football and not make the playoffs. How come Jim Kelly didn't make the playoffs his second year? Oh he didn't? Then he must SUCK right?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Oh, I agree.   70 looks better than 50 ;)   

That still doesn't factor in that the WR's didn't do him any favors (which would have given him better stats). 

Targets  to  Zay and KB 

102 + 62 = 164

Catches

56 + 23 = 79

Caught .481. 

Targets mean anything thrown their direction.

So a throw 5 feet over Zay Jones’ head is still a target.

Also, just because it wasn’t caught doesn’t make it a drop.

If Allen finishes the year over 57%. I’ll call that a great improvement and be quite optimistic heading into year 3.

35 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Stupid statements like this... Aaron Rogers is a Franchise QB.. Why didn't they make the playoffs last year..

Oh wait.. Let me think.. Hmm.. Don't think longer then 2 seconds and you will have the answer..

There is no I in TEAM!.  This is a TEAM SPORT for a reason.. you can have one of the better QB's in football and not make the playoffs. How come Jim Kelly didn't make the playoffs his second year? Oh he didn't? Then he must SUCK right?

I get where your coming from because without good coaching/supporting cast its all for not.   Generally speaking though good QB's do help carry their teams to the playoffs more often then not in my humble opinion. 

Not having a good QB clearly didn't go well for Buffalo despite fielding top 3 D's.

When I say good meaning franchise, borderline franchise 

16 hours ago, Rubes said:

Even a modest improvement in offensive line play will give Allen the opportunity to show his stuff. If he gets decent protection, I am eager to see what he does with it.

Maybe our terrible 2018 o-line play accelerated his abilities, lol. The game is gonna be slow as molasses for Josh behind this years oline.  

Edited by Tenhigh
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

The Packers Coach was fired FWIW.

If, and this is the worst possible scenario, Allen doesn't improve as a passer and the team doesn't look like a legit playoff contender, the questions are going to swirl as to whether the coaching staff, Allen, or both, need to go. 

We're definitely jumping the gun here, but this is a make or break season for many folks within the Bills organization.

3 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Targets mean anything thrown their direction.

So a throw 5 feet over Zay Jones’ head is still a target.

Also, just because it wasn’t caught doesn’t make it a drop.

If Allen finishes the year over 57%. I’ll call that a great improvement and be quite optimistic heading into year 3.

I know.  I used the in the area as a reason Zay sucked so bad last year. 

Tyrod was innacurate on moving targets 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

Nice pieces added in free agency. Could still use another piece on offense whether that’s OL, TE, RB

but if Allen is going to be a franchise QBs, this team makes playoffs.  Good QBs can carry a team to playoffs almost every year 

If they dont make it and the team isn’t decimated by injuries, I will hit the panic button on qb 

Woah.  Talk about extreme viewpoint.  Ha. 

If he's the man yes I think this team should make the playoffs...but to say that good QBs carry their teams to the playoffs almost every year is too extreme.  

Drew brees couldnt get new Orleans in a few years.   Hes a hall of Famer.  Stafford cant get lions in.  Is he bad.  Matt ryan cant get his team in.  Is he bad? Fact is. If team sucks there are only a handful of guys who can single handedly get their teams in.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Let the kid play and develop.  Don't go overboard when he makes a great play and don't start with the he's a bust crap if he makes a bad one.  Look long term and not short term.

Oh, and panic over a QB?  I'll save panic mode for things like a call in the middle of the night from the police when my daughter hasn't come home, or when my doctor tells me we need to talk.  Let's keep some perspective here.

3 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Woah.  Talk about extreme viewpoint.  Ha. 

If he's the man yes I think this team should make the playoffs...but to say that good QBs carry their teams to the playoffs almost every year is too extreme.  

Drew brees couldnt get new Orleans in a few years.   Hes a hall of Famer.  Stafford cant get lions in.  Is he bad.  Matt ryan cant get his team in.  Is he bad? Fact is. If team sucks there are only a handful of guys who can single handedly get their teams in.  

Here's the rub. Beane and company just went all in to make the roster playoff caliber. Stafford and Ryan have had how many coaches? Brees is the only one that hasn't had extreme organizational changes during their respective careers.

So it's safe to say people are gonna start asking a lot of questions if this team doesn't make the playoffs. 

Rams did it. Bears did it. Eagles did it. Chiefs did it. Texans did it. Every single first round QB taken in the prior two drafts made the playoffs in their second season.

Why the heck not us? If you trust the regime and you trust Allen, it's pretty close to playoffs or bust.

Edited by LSHMEAB

On 3/19/2019 at 10:18 PM, Troll Toll said:

Where the heck is this coming from? The guy was basically our entire offense down the stretch and performed exceptionally. Now you’re ready to draft another QB if we don’t make the playoffs next year? As far as I’m concerned, the WRs, OL, RBs and run defense have more to prove than Allen at this point. We still don’t have proven impact players at skill positions.

Yep. And what about all the time Brees, Ryan and Rivers haven't made the playoffs? Or Rodgers and Big Ben this year? Ridiculous opening statement post.

Now I sure want Allen to lead the Bills to the playoffs THIS year and all the next ha ha, it goes without saying, and they can do it, but come on.

Edited by Jerome007
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Honestly, looking at our opponents this year, I don't see how playoffs isn't a possibility. Outside of two guaranteed losses to the Patriots I think every game is winnable. 

Maybe... for once... we'll play NE in the first 4 weeks of the season when they tend to struggle.  We probably have never beaten them in december unless brady literally just sat on the bench.  

This is the year baby! Bury em!!

Edited by dneveu